Classes Toward Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liveedu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Nutrition classes count toward the science gpa? I was also wondering if my neuroscience classes count toward it as well. Classes such as Neuroscience Research Methods and Neuropharmocology?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope.

Do Nutrition classes count toward the science gpa?

Yes and yes
I was also wondering if my neuroscience classes count toward it as well. Classes such as Neuroscience Research Methods and Neuropharmocology?[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Do Nutrition classes count toward the science gpa?

Yes and yes
I was also wondering if my neuroscience classes count toward it as well. Classes such as Neuroscience Research Methods and Neuropharmocology?
[/QUOTE]

That's not entirely correct. I took nutrition under the biology department and it was counted for my science.

Members don't see this ad :)
When in doubt, consult the College Information Book and the application instructions.

If Nutrition's classification as "Other Science" is still accurate then yeah, it falls into your sGPA. Makes sense I guess, we have a Nutrition curriculum here.

Neuro would definitely fall with your sGPA. Whether it's Bio, Behavioral, or Other depends on the department it was taken with at your undergrad.

Do math classes count??

Do math classes count??

From AACOMAS

"Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science."

"Other Science
Agricultural Science
Astronomy
Chiropractic
Electronics
Engineering
Epidemiology
Geology
Kinesiology
Medical Technology
Meteorology
Nutrition
Pharmacy
Physical Anthropology
Physical Geography
Physical Science
Physician Assistant
Radiology "

Then what's the "BCPM" gpa? Bio, chem, phys, math....i thought that was the sGPA? is that a aamcas only thing then???

Would a chemical engineering class count towards DO sGPA?

From AACOMAS

"Other Science
Agricultural Science
Astronomy
Chiropractic
Electronics
Engineering
Epidemiology
Geology
Kinesiology
Medical Technology
Meteorology
Nutrition
Pharmacy
Physical Anthropology
Physical Geography
Physical Science
Physician Assistant
Radiology "

Would a chemical engineering class count towards DO sGPA?

Please read and/or search.

Please read and/or search.

Ok you're right, that was pretty redundant. But let me throw this one at you buddy... CSE 101 (Computer Science and Engineering). Which would it fall under, math or other science? :naughty: For one decides your sGPA, the other, your non-sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok you're right, that was pretty redundant. But let me throw this one at you buddy... CSE 101 (Computer Science and Engineering). Which would it fall under, math or other science? :naughty: For one decides your sGPA, the other, your non-sGPA.

Did you get a good grade in this course? If you did, count it as other science. If not, math it is. If they feel you mislabeled it, they'll correct it.

Go look at the AACOMAS site. It has the entire breakdown for any course imaginable. Computer engineering is on there, but I'm on my phone so can't tell you what it is.

You could probably swing it to either one.

I talked to AMCAS and they told me, "if your nutrition class was under the biology category it will count for the BCPM GPA."

For example:
NUTR 13xx (Intro to nutrition) = not BCPM

BIOL 13xx (General Nutrition) = BCPM

Last edited:
Math counts for AMCAS: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/

Just not AACOMAS for some reason, found on page 20: http://www.aacom.org/Documents/AACOMASInstructions.pdf

GPA & Credit Hour Computations After Processing
AACOMAS will calculate your GPA and credit hours according to the following rules: GPAs and credit hours will be calculated for Science, Non-Science and All Coursework. Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology,
Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs in- clude Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I found out that all my neuroscience classes will be counted towards sGPA, I was so happy. :D

When I found out that all my neuroscience classes will be counted towards sGPA, I was so happy. :D

If they are through your psychology department, AACOMAS will not recognize them as such, but AACOMAS will accept a letter from a professor/adviser that'll vouch for the biological nature of these course. I didn't have this problem with AMCAS, they accredited Brain and Behavior as Biology off my discretion.

Yikes - it's the opposite for me. Neuroscience was literally one of the worst grades I ever got, and retaking it ANYWHERE is proving to be impossible because every freaking pre-med wants to take it. :thumbdown: (No, I can't register early, because as a continuing ed student, I get second fiddle to the day students, and it is not offered through continuing ed anywhere.)

The only saving grace I might have is that it was cross-listed with the psychology department. Can I use this to my advantage?

How about Software Engineering? It is a sub-area of Computer Science (Math), but has an "Engineering" word in it. So which is it? Science or Non-Science then?

How about Software Engineering? It is a sub-area of Computer Science (Math), but has an "Engineering" word in it. So which is it? Science or Non-Science then?

Just put it where it benefits you most. If it's not right they'll change it.