Classes!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohohitsmagic08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What undergraduate classes should you take prior to taking the DAT? Obviously gen bio, gen chem, ochem are required. But I was not sure about which others I should take. I will be a sophomore this coming fall so I really need to take them this year before taking the DAT next summer. Physiology? More plant biology?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

physiology/anatomy and biochem if u have taken ochem and done with it..
good luck

as many human/medically related sciences as you can. biochem's becoming a "must" lately, and you forgot physics. that's required too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right, but physics is not on the DAT.. I didnt mean required classes for admission, but strictly classes that will help me prepare for the DAT material. Biochem? I didnt know that was on the DAT at all...

You'll need to take physics at some point, but it doesn't matter when you take it. You can take it after the DAT if you want.

I think all those bio classes would be helpful for the bio section: anatomy, biochem, comparative anatomy, developmental bio, etc. But these classes will only help with one section on the test (bio), and it's possible to do well without having taken any of these extra courses. If you have time to take some of them before the DAT, then do it, but don't worry too much about it!

I took the DAT having only taken the general bio class, and I got a 20 on the section. I think the one extra class that would have helped me most would have been a comparative anatomy course. But it depends what gets covered in your general bio class - my class had lots of genetics, physiology, and biochem, but almost nothing on anything non-human. If you've already taken a general bio class, the I suggest taking a sample DAT (maybe just the bio section if you haven't taken the other classes yet). This will help you figure out what you still need to learn. There's a free sample DAT on the ADA website:
http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/
Good luck!

At my school we have a class called "Evolution, Ecology, and Biodiversity". It was awesome for the DAT. Physiology and Genetics are good classes to take too.

There's no reason to take biochem before the DAT.