Classic post-bac/masters thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gymgivitis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers!

I'm sorry for this classic post, but I really do want a response that's catered to my exact stats/situation. I'm currently a late applicant in this cycle with the Texas schools(I'm talking my last transcript wasn't received until yesterday, but I submitted on the 19th), but I really only applied because I would hate myself for not trying. Currently, I'm a senior biomedical science major in undergrad with not that many credits left to graduate.

Stats: oGPA-3.04 BCPM-2.84 Non-BCPM-3.42. I had a 1.85 GPA after my freshman year and have maintaned a 3.6 in my last 60 credit hours of science courses, but I fear my GPA is still too low for Texas dental programs. My DAT is a 20AA 19TS 20Bio 20GC 18OC 22QR 22PAT 19RC. I have 390 healthcare shadowing hours(180 of which is dental shadowing) and 270 hours of volunteer. I've been told my personal statement is pretty awesome. I'd say my rec letters are most likely average.

Currently, these are my options:

1) 1-2 year non-thesis master's in biomedical science at my university
Pros: looks great if I do great and I get a separate GPA
Cons: cost(rent&tuition) and it's really a last-resort to dental school admissions it seems.

2) formal post-bac program in a different city
Pros: a reputable program with structure. can retake upper level BCPMs
cons: cost(rent) and won't make much of a difference in my undergrad GPA besides adding to my upward trend

3) informal post-bac where I live
Pros: can live with parents, save money, can retake upper level BCPMs
Cons: no structure or guidance and won't make much of a difference in my undergrad GPA besides adding to my upward trend

Obviously, I am willing to do whatever it takes to become a dentist. It is my life goal, but I also want to be economical about this approach. I feel that staying in Texas for dental school would be the best choice, but I would be open to a grad program out of state and keeping my residency in Texas if it was beneficial.

What would you do in my position? I really appreciate this community. I read through this forum pretty much everyday haha. Good luck to everyone in this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You're on the right track with the options! I always say if you are going to take more classes, why not just go for a higher degree. If you're going to put put the money and time in, just go for option 1. Good luck!

You're on the right track with the options! I always say if you are going to take more classes, why not just go for a higher degree. If you're going to put put the money and time in, just go for option 1. Good luck!
Thank you for your input!! Would love to hear other opinions as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in support of option 1. Getting the masters is your best bet at showing that you can handle a dental school curriculum. Doing a few postbacc classes doesn't make much sense to me. You already have an upward trend, and even with A's you wouldn't move that GPA much. I would maybe consider retaking a prereq or two if you got killed in them (C's or something), then also do the masters. Otherwise, I'd definitely go for the masters.

You're lucky that you're a Texas resident. For the sake of D-school admissions, I'd keep it that way! Kill the masters, maybe land a really good letter of rec (you say yours are average), and get into dental school. The DAT scores looks good.

One last thing: I would try to do the masters in one year if you are paying big bucks for it. Financially it doesn't make sense to drag it out.

I'm in support of option 1. Getting the masters is your best bet at showing that you can handle a dental school curriculum. Doing a few postbacc classes doesn't make much sense to me. You already have an upward trend, and even with A's you wouldn't move that GPA much. I would maybe consider retaking a prereq or two if you got killed in them (C's or something), then also do the masters. Otherwise, I'd definitely go for the masters.

You're lucky that you're a Texas resident. For the sake of D-school admissions, I'd keep it that way! Kill the masters, maybe land a really good letter of rec (you say yours are average), and get into dental school. The DAT scores looks good.

One last thing: I would try to do the masters in one year if you are paying big bucks for it. Financially it doesn't make sense to drag it out.
Thanks so much for the opinion. I think both of you have convinced me to forego the post-bac route. I'm going to look for a 1-year program that's financially feasible. Do either of you have experience in a masters program? I'm curious as to how difficult the course work is. The program descriptions for most of these states it's meant to "bolster" an applicants grades and application.

Looks like you are on the same boat as me!

My stats: cGPA: 2.91 sGPA: 2.77 DAT: 24AA/22TS/22PAT/29QR/23RC/21Bio/22GC/24OC
200+ volunteering hrs / ~20 shadowing hours(working on this currently) / full-time research for 1.5 yrs
Average to decent recs and decent personal statement
Oh and I'm also a Texas resident

I'm currently looking into master's programs to start next summer and here is the list of a few programs I found:
-Texas programs
1. UNTHSC - Master of Science in Medical Sciences
2. Baylor A&M - Post-bacc (seems like this is mostly for URMs and only accept 16. guaranteed spot at baylor a&m dental school)
3. UT Dallas CBioMed - Post-bacc (this is a certificate program, seems okay but I'd prefer master's)
4. Texas Tech - Master of science in biomedical sciences (2 year thesis-based)

-OOS
1. Rutgers Newark - Masters
2. Rutgers NBS - Masters
3. Mississippi College - Masters in Medical Sciences (cheap and recently being recognized from what I've heard)
4. Tulane - MS in genetics
5. Tulane - MS in Cell & Molec Bio

I have yet to decide which program I want to apply to but most likely UNTHSC/texas tech for in-state and rutgers and mississippi for OOS.

Hope the info helps!

I would highly recommend the University of Northern Colorado's 1-year MBS program. It is a relatively unknown program on SDN is seems and the course listings are more relevant than other master's programs out there by comparison.

One question, if you really are willing to do anything to become a dentist then why not apply to out of state private schools and schools that some on here would consider to be low ranking schools? An acceptance anywhere coupled with hard work will make a dentist of you. Im sure you would at least get interviews and maybe even an acceptance and avoid having to do masters or postbacc program. Just a thought. I keep seeing a trend on sdn where students say they applied but got no interviews but then notice they excluded applications to schools that would have given them a chance.

One question, if you really are willing to do anything to become a dentist then why not apply to out of state private schools and schools that some on here would consider to be low ranking schools? An acceptance anywhere coupled with hard work will make a dentist of you. Im sure you would at least get interviews and maybe even an acceptance and avoid having to do masters or postbacc program. Just a thought. I keep seeing a trend on sdn where students say they applied but got no interviews but then notice they excluded applications to schools that would have given them a chance.
In that vein, assuming you can get in to one of the lower tier schools, that not only saves the cost of a postbacc, but also gives you an additional year of your career in practice. It's a financial win-win. While Texas schools are cheaper, the costs may work out to be similar.