General Admissions & OTCAS Classifying OT Settings on OTCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WanderlustOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a bit confused about how to classify different OT experiences. OTCAS has these options:
  • Children and Youth
  • Work and Industry
  • Rehabilitation
  • Health and Wellness
  • Mental Health
  • Productive Aging
  • Other
For those reading, would you mind sharing what experiences you've classified (or plan to classify) under these categories?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just ask an OT in the setting you volunteered in. That's what I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
What settings were you at?

Skilled nursing facility
A stroke center in a community center (OT says it's a community-based setting)
Pediatrics clinic
Hand & upper extremity clinic
Hospital (acute inpatient?)

Skilled nursing facility
A stroke center in a community center (OT says it's a community-based setting)
Pediatrics clinic
Hand & upper extremity clinic
Hospital (acute inpatient?)

All of that is pretty much rehab. UE/Hand could be work/industry if they are doing working workers comp cases.

I would of put all them under rehab.

All of that is pretty much rehab. UE/Hand could be work/industry if they are doing working workers comp cases.

I would of put all them under rehab.

Oh really? That's what I was confused about. It made me think if pediatric clinic would be under children and youth, stroke center or skilled nursing facility under productive aging, etc.

If they're all under rehab, what would go under these categories?
Also, does it make an application better if I have something under different categories?

Hope more people can chime in on this!

Sure peds can be put under youth. Was it clinic dealing with autism? Put in under mental if you want.

Productive aging-driver evals, discussing community transportation options, health promotions, arthritis
management

You are doing rehab in snf but if you want it placed under productive aging go ahead. If you saw a lot work related injuries in a hand clinic put it under work/injury. Did you use KAWA on a client in a drug rehab/mental health setting, put it under mental health. If you did some research with/under OTs, I would put that under other.

Its all rehab. Dont think too much into categories. Just make sure you can reflect on each experience and explain your feelings on each setting if asked.

These areas are discussed under AOTA's website and you can judge for yourself. Its subjective imho. Hopefully someone who recently filled the OTCAS app can chime in.

1.Skilled nursing - could be productive aging , rehab, mental health and health / wellness
2.Stroke center - health and wellness / rehab
3.Peds- children/ youth and heath / wellness... it could even be mental health depending on the population
4.Hand- work and industry and rehab
5.Hospital- rehab, mental health, productive aging and mental health.
You could list multiple for each and split the number of hours between the appropriate categories at each facility. Or you can pick the one you feel fits the experience best and use that. If you are going to pick one for each location do your best to pick a different category for each one to show the variety of your experiences so for example you could do 1. productive aging, 2. health and wellness, 3. youth and children, 4. work and industry, 5. rehabilitation or mental health. That way all of the categories are covered so you showcase your plethora of experience! Plus as mentioned above it is subjective so as long as you can provide an example of how it fits into a specific category if prompted, there is no wrong answer. Best of luck! Any questions don't hesitate to ask! :)