Classmates are so uptight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GonefromTX

Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share my experience and see if there are others in the same boat. So I am currently an MS 2 and I've found that I can't really relate to any of my classmates.

I was in a fraternity in college and my buddies always joked around and called each other rude endearing names to lighten conversations. Even the college girls I hung out with were fun and drank on the weekends and said mean funny things to each other. In med school no one does that and I'm often seen as that obnoxious guy. I've been trying to keep it on the extreme down-low but sometimes its not even socially acceptable to say something as innocent like "yeah lets go get hammered" or something like that. So I can't make any "rude" jokes that are funny to me and I can't relate to any of them. Heck I can't keep a straight face and have sophisticated conversations (e.g. about the impact of Obamacare) all the time?

Its MS2 already and I find myself more alone than ever. I only have fun whenever I go back to Austin to hang out with my college buddies who have graduated. Just wondering if this is just my school, if it changes in the hospital and if anyone else is having a similar experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah - sorry dude.

The only thing I can say to help you is that every now and then you will come across a 'normal' person. At that moment, you will feel great because you knew it wasn't you all along, people are just weird.

I'm saying this because my classmates were pretty chill, but uptight. As soon as I met a laid back person I felt normal again. Strange, since I made this realization while helping to suction feces out of an abdomen. It just is what it is at this age. Be friendly to everyone, you will find your friends. It definitely is strange - I had so many close friends before. In med school, everyone is nice, but uptight like you say. I go to some parties and have gone out with folk, but where is my buddy to grab a beer and laugh with? It just comes with time. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 12 users
Let's hear the rude jokes...you know, for science and stuff

Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share my experience and see if there are others in the same boat. So I am currently an MS 2 and I've found that I can't really relate to any of my classmates.

I was in a fraternity in college and my buddies always joked around and called each other rude endearing names to lighten conversations. Even the college girls I hung out with were fun and drank on the weekends and said mean funny things to each other. In med school no one does that and I'm often seen as that obnoxious guy. I've been trying to keep it on the extreme down-low but sometimes its not even socially acceptable to say something as innocent like "yeah lets go get hammered" or something like that. So I can't make any "rude" jokes that are funny to me and I can't relate to any of them. Heck I can't keep a straight face and have sophisticated conversations (e.g. about the impact of Obamacare) all the time?

Its MS2 already and I find myself more alone than ever. I only have fun whenever I go back to Austin to hang out with my college buddies who have graduated. Just wondering if this is just my school, if it changes in the hospital and if anyone else is having a similar experience.

You know, I went to a Caribbean school and I ran into only a handful of those types of personalities! However, for the most part my classmates were cool and down-to-earth. I think it's the caliber of student that gets accepted into US med school has created an anti-social personality of sorts (some, not all). My classmates couldn't get into a US school bc they focused elsewhere during undergrad and it cultivated a more well-rounded person IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I cant think of a profession where people are more uptight in general than medicine. But there's plenty of exceptions too and they gravitate towards each other.

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing worse than making a (slightly) off color joke that is funny as hell, only to get blank stares from your uptight classmates. I feel ya man--hang in there!!

Edit: Any interest in EM? Personally I have found EM people to be the least uptight/ultraprofessional/nofun

Reactions: 16 users
Nothing worse than making a (slightly) off color joke that is funny as hell, only to get blank stares from your uptight classmates. I feel ya man--hang in there!!

Edit: Any interest in EM? Personally I have found EM people to be the least uptight/ultraprofessional/nofun

I'd imagine that surgery residents would be the least uptight

Reactions: 4 users

Yep, I feel ya. Lots of the students in med school are uptight snowflakes who don't understand letting loose since they've spent their entire adolescence & adult life studying and trying to be perfect. Plus, the sheer amount of ****-talking that goes on in med school re: Greek life gets is pretty pathetic honestly.

I thought I would have the same problem but luckily found a good group of guys/girls that are cut from the same cloth. Really lucked out. It can be hard to find these people since everyone has their guard up and doesn't want to say the wrong thing without getting to know the other person first... Not sure what to tell ya if you haven't found them by MS2 though - I guess just make sure you pick a residency with people you think you'll get along with, otherwise you're in for a lonngg road. But trust me, people like you are out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

University of Texas is also a very social place (I assume that's where you went). I've visited a few times and most of the people are just like you: very friendly, genuine, and upbeat.

My medical school class was actually more like your personality, so I think your class personalities could be a reflection of what your medical school is looking for in applicants.

MS2 is also a very isolating year. When you start MS3 year and start working on the wards you'll realize that a lot of your classmates who are socially awkward won't perform as well. You'll interact with residents and your faculty and have a much better time I think. Just remember to live within the mean; be approachable and social but don't come off as a party animal.

There's plenty of uptight people at my school, and also plenty of ones who are chill.

Anecdotally EM is a good specialty for people with your attitude.

Reactions: 7 users

Right there with you. Was in a fraternity in the SEC, and a lot of **** talking about Greek life where I go to school now. A lot of people in my class look down on me for it, but I found a close group a friends and just ignore the rest. In the end, just do you and do the best you can in school, then find a residency in an area that's aligned with your personality. That's definitely my plan

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Welcome to medicine, where most people seem to have the personality of a dry dish cloth and are about as interesting to talk to.

Reactions: 16 users
Lol, YES. Try to dig out the few normal ones (there must be a couple in every class) and cling to them, ignore the rest. Medical students are annoying.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's hear the rude jokes...you know, for science and stuff
I have to warn you that its not that funny lol. Once, I pointed at a picture of our (mostly disliked) professor on the staff roster and said "Dr. John Doe? More like Dr. Boner." *Blank stares from everyone*

Reactions: 8 users
I have to warn you that its not that funny lol. Once, I pointed at a picture of our (mostly disliked) professor on the staff roster and said "Dr. John Doe? More like Dr. Boner." *Blank stares from everyone*
Your problem isn't with them not liking humor, that's not funny haha

Reactions: 59 users
I got really lucky and found the normal people in my class quickly. I feel you on most classmates being like that. It sucks to be surrounded by them but at least you aren't like that yourself. Sorry dude, hopefully you find your people soon

LOL, lets hear another one. The cringe makes it funny :laugh:

I've always thought the cheesy/lame jokes are the best ones, like "What did the math teacher say when her parrot flew away? Poly-gone." :laugh:

Reactions: 8 users

EM is probably the most chill specialty. It's jokes all day in the ED.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone, what about y'alls experience of Ortho?

EM is probably the most chill specialty. It's jokes all day in the ED.

Not at my school. The passive aggressive scale ranks near Peds levels at the EM program at my home institution.

OP - check out surgery

You know, I went to a Caribbean school and I ran into only a handful of those types of personalities! However, for the most part my classmates were cool and down-to-earth. I think it's the caliber of student that gets accepted into US med school has created an anti-social personality of sorts (some, not all). My classmates couldn't get into a US school bc they focused elsewhere during undergrad and it cultivated a more well-rounded person IMO.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: 15 users
Not at my school. The passive aggressive scale ranks near Peds levels at the EM program at my home institution.

OP - check out surgery
I don't understand what makes Peds people so passive aggressive.

I'm sure seeing a lot of children suffering takes its toll on you

You sound exactly like a classmate of mine, except he's from a different state.

It sounds you're completely clueless about the cultural shifts that have been going on in the last 15 years, not to mention the culture of medicine itself.

Welcome to medicine, where most people seem to have the personality of a dry dish cloth and are about as interesting to talk to.

:thumbup:

Being interesting == getting killed.

It sounds you're completely clueless about the cultural shifts that have been going on in the last 15 years, not to mention the culture of medicine itself.

Well that was overly aggressive. Show me on the doll where your classmate touched you...lol

*Edited for an "lol" to maintain the last 15 years of accruing cultural shifts and political correctness*

Reactions: 15 users
Thanks everyone, what about y'alls experience of Ortho?

The ortho group seems down to earth, but theres a skew of the uber competitive students who gun for it,

One was trying to brag about playing classical violin the other day, asked "do you play any classical instruments", I replied "dude, look at my biceps". Some laughed, some grimaced

bro, i'll 100% be your friend, bro. no lie.

The ortho group seems down to earth, but theres a skew of the uber competitive students who gun for it,

One was trying to brag about playing classical violin the other day, asked "do you play any classical instruments", I replied "dude, look at my biceps". Some laughed, some grimaced
Thats the kind of nonsense I like lol. My (very chill) professor lent me her white coat because i forgot to bring mine and I said "my arm is way too swole for your coat." Two girls burst out laughing while I'm pretty sure everyone else hated me.

Anyhoo I guess I entered this solemn profession and it might be time for us to tone down the crazy until fourth year.

Reactions: 4 users

:thumbup:

Being interesting == getting killed.

Let me guess, you're from California or The northeast?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Many medical students find that they are isolated in school. Certainly not all come from the same background as you, but medical school can be isolating. This is mostly because people are studying a lot.

You have limited time that you can spend doing whatever you want, so people start to prioritize what really matters to them. The average age in medical school is obviously older than undergrad. Far more people are starting families or thinking about it. Many have established hobbies that they enjoy and choose to focus on them. Many more than that simply would rather have alone time or do other things than party it up with their limited time, despite doing plenty of that in undergrad. I saw this quite a bit in my medical school class. There were plenty of people that partied quite a bit in undergrad, but just valued other things more and when given the choice, chose do do other things with their time. Some moved on to being more 'sophisticated' ie. the number of scotch conversations probably went up 1000 fold. There were a few that definitely partied every other week or so.

Most people that can't find people to hang out with in medical school branch out to the surroundings. And outside of almost pure bookworms, I'd say that includes most people. Personally, my friend group in medical school were people I played basketball with and rock climbers. Sure, a medical student here and there, but mostly undergrads, other professional students and the other random that I met doing what I prefer to spend my non-work/training time doing. I don't think that has changed much since starting residency.

Reactions: 9 users
Thats the kind of nonsense I like lol. My (very chill) professor lent me her white coat because i forgot to bring mine and I said "my arm is way too swole for your coat." Two girls burst out laughing while I'm pretty sure everyone else hated me.

Anyhoo I guess I entered this solemn profession and it might be time for us to tone down the crazy until fourth year.

ehh as long as its the right situation,

I worked at a fellowship that trained international observers prior to med school, I used to BS with this south african doc all the time and he killed it. His biggest thing was being personable, fun, and easy to work with was worth its weight in gold. We got a kick out of messing with the chinese fellows, we'd pull up the national zoo's panda cam and narrate it, or inquire if the umami taste receptor was inspired by the savory flavor of panda meat... those were the days

I have a feeling OP makes alot of dick jokes and possibly some racial jokes too.

Reactions: 17 users
Its MS2 already and I find myself more alone than ever.

St Mother Teresa of Calcutta said it best: "America's poverty is loneliness " and that was years ago. We lead the world in chronic medical illnesses that are self inflicted. Our culture is very ill

Many Millennials at my university tell me often they do not like their peers. Near our house there is a group of female medical students who share a large rental home. They do not associate with each other, neither knows about the others medical school performance/Step exams, and we see them individually alone on their mobile phones at local diners. I have been told by many Millennials that they want to date older, more mature people, hang out with them, learn from their stories, find them inspiring because they find their peers are lacking in goals, drive and depth. And yet I see these kids as having depth so I don't understandard

Tonight my husband picked me up late on campus because it was too dark to walk or take the bus. We stopped at a traffic light. There were university kids everywhere walking alone at night, some wearing headphones and crossing the streets unaware of their environment. Totally clueless. We see this often: kids seated together, not interacting, all focused on their mobile phones. Their parents have failed them. The Gen Xers and Baby Boomers produced chronological adults but psychologically unevolved individuals.

Recommendation: fish in another watering hole. If you are finding you do not relate to your class peers, interact with them for professional standards reasons, but otherwise look elsewhere for friends...fish elsewhere. They are out there.

I have been told by many Millennials that they want to date older, more mature people, hang out with them, learn from their stories, find them inspiring because they find their peers are lacking in goals, drive and depth. And yet I see these kids as having depth so I don't understandard.

Not necessarily trying to comment on the overall thread but I think I can clear some of this up for you. The people you are talking to are trying to create non-adversarial, polite conversation with an older classmate who is somewhat openly judgmental of their generation. The whole "I just don't seem to get other people my age" thing is what people play when the person they're talking with transparently looks down on people their age.

Of course these sentiments could be genuine and unprovoked by your attitudes toward this issue, but it seems unlikely that your classmates come out of the woodwork to express this to you if you're not frequently bringing up the topic of age/maturity with them . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Its very hard to post humor on a forum. U try saying something funny
Why did the partially blind guy fall in the well?.......

Because he couldn't see that well.

Reactions: 21 users

I find it amusing that this thread is literally about being too cool for school, well specifically medical school.

Unless you're all at a social event, I find it easier to interact with classmates as professional colleagues. That's essentially what they are anyway. If you wouldn't make the joke at a conference table, then don't make the joke.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.