Classmates are so uptight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many Millennials at my university tell me often they do not like their peers. Near our house there is a group of female medical students who share a large rental home. They do not associate with each other, neither knows about the others medical school performance/Step exams, and we see them individually alone on their mobile phones at local diners. I have been told by many Millennials that they want to date older, more mature people, hang out with them, learn from their stories, find them inspiring because they find their peers are lacking in goals, drive and depth. And yet I see these kids as having depth so I don't understandard

You do realize, in all your brilliance, that you could have replaced "millenial" with baby boomer, and "mobile phones" with book - this could have been a quote from a 1970-80 non trad.

All this millenial this, millenial that stuff is so annoying. Your generation was full of losers too.

EDIT: Just to clarify - you cannot talk about how good baby boomers are like we can't see them for ourselves. Baby boomers are STILL ALIVE. They cut me off in traffic without blinkers, yell in grocery stores, and vote for idiots in my state. You should have realized by now that every generation is predominantly clueless and bitter. Rise above your generation, stop trying to put one down to make yourself feel better.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 37 users
OP, you might appreciate this study published by the AAMC.

Associations of Medical Student Personality and Health/Wellness Characteristics With Their Medical School Performance Across the Curriculum
Academic Medicine: April 2012 - Volume 87 - Issue 4 - p 476–485
doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e318248e9d0

"Noncognitive factors have been shown to be the most desired characteristics of practicing physicians. According to patients, medical students, residents, and a panel of “excellent” academic clinicians, these qualities include empathy, respectfulness, communication and interpersonal skills, professionalism, and humanism."

Perhaps this is why some medical schools take kindly to non-science majors as applicants. Humanism, empathy, communication and interpersonal skills are not the words that come to the minds of Americans when discussing their health care experiences. You cant blame the Hospital Admins for the behaviors of physicians.

"In light of our findings and previous research, a call for attention to personality factors as a standard aspect of the medical education and residency admission processes is timely."

Timely? More like long overdue. Personality factors should be on par with GPA/MCAT / Step scores in selecting MD applicants and Residents.

"....we need application tools that look beyond how a student will fare in the preclinical and other strictly cognitive or test-taking aspects of medical training."

I told my Dean that the medical school interview process should include a wine and cheese social interview with admins and applicants in attendance. Open the cash bar, open the doors, sit back and watch what happens. Ditto for Residency application process. Physicians use these forums to network as professionals and also while attending CME sponsored speaker programs. You can always spot the classy, intelligent, stellar physicians and the red flag types too.

"Conclusion: This study identified two sets of skills (cognitive, noncognitive) used during medical school, with minimal overlap across the types of performance (e.g., exam performance versus clinical interpersonal skills) they predict. Medical school admission and evaluation efforts may need to be modified to reflect the importance of personality and other noncognitive factors."

Sad that it took a study to conclude these findings. They could have asked 1,000 hospital nurses their opinions and saved money, time and effort

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share my experience and see if there are others in the same boat. So I am currently an MS 2 and I've found that I can't really relate to any of my classmates.

I was in a fraternity in college and my buddies always joked around and called each other rude endearing names to lighten conversations. Even the college girls I hung out with were fun and drank on the weekends and said mean funny things to each other. In med school no one does that and I'm often seen as that obnoxious guy. I've been trying to keep it on the extreme down-low but sometimes its not even socially acceptable to say something as innocent like "yeah lets go get hammered" or something like that. So I can't make any "rude" jokes that are funny to me and I can't relate to any of them. Heck I can't keep a straight face and have sophisticated conversations (e.g. about the impact of Obamacare) all the time?

Its MS2 already and I find myself more alone than ever. I only have fun whenever I go back to Austin to hang out with my college buddies who have graduated. Just wondering if this is just my school, if it changes in the hospital and if anyone else is having a similar experience.

Shoulda gone to school an hour south, man. :p

Reactions: 1 user
OP, maybe if you weren't so judgement as to say that everyone who doesn't share you sense of humor is "uptight," you'd have an easier time making friends.

How old are your classmates? They might not find your humor funny. Some of them may be too focused on their goal which you see as "serious".

Not to be too judgmental, but you are in a professional school and some of your humor might not be appropriate. (I don't know all of the jokes/humor you have told.)

Reactions: 1 users
OP, maybe if you weren't so judgement as to say that everyone who doesn't share you sense of humor is "uptight," you'd have an easier time making friends.
I have never said that. I enjoy all kinds of humor. I have about 5-6 good friends in med school that hang out on occasion (mostly due to step). I think most would agree that there are certain traits about med students that are pretty much universally seen as uptight. Examples include: 1) casting judgmental looks when someone else is being more "chill". 2) Talking anything bad about the curriculum is taboo/unprofessional and you should never allow yourself to complain. 3) Literally everything is a scheme for popularity (liking someone's Facebook status, picking sides based on popularity, and just general passive-aggressiveness).

I think some of you misunderstand, and i could have phrased it better. I wasn't here to say my classmates are too uptight for me to like. I was here looking for advice to see if the general culture changes when we graduate or what I can do to fit in better. Now I appreciate all of your comments and I think the general consensus is that I should tune it down a notch further to fit in. And thats what I'm going to try to do to relate to my classmates better. Thanks everyone, just respectfully letting y'all know that I'll read your further comments but won't comment anymore (crunch time for step lol).

Last edited:
OP when I get to med school I will try your Dr. Boner joke and see if anyone laughs.

For science.

Do you have any other jokes I can try?

I dunno about you but at UTMB, most people are very chill and not uptight at all. Only a few people and some faculty are uptight.

I have to warn you that its not that funny lol. Once, I pointed at a picture of our (mostly disliked) professor on the staff roster and said "Dr. John Doe? More like Dr. Boner." *Blank stares from everyone*

I'd give you a blank stare, an eye roll, and a facepalm for that one. Stop trying so hard to be funny and you just might get people to actually like you. Seriously, that joke is so incredibly bad I would expect it out of a 16 year old, or a drunk college freshman.

I'm sure you're a very nice person, but if you were my friend, I would pull you aside at some point and verbally slap you for making a joke where you just say a synonym for dick (without any thought as to the source material).

I don't care if you were in a frat in college, but if your jokes are (still) mostly of the dick variety, you need to re-evaluate how you try to connect with your situation.

Given how much you've agonized about this (to the point of accusing all your classmates about just being uptight), if that's truly the best example you can think of, you've got a long road ahead of you lol.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd give you a blank stare, an eye roll, and a facepalm for that one. Stop trying so hard to be funny and you just might get people to actually like you. Seriously, that joke is so incredibly bad I would expect it out of a 16 year old, or a drunk college freshman.

I'm sure you're a very nice person, but if you were my friend, I would pull you aside at some point and verbally slap you for making a joke where you just say a synonym for dick (without any thought as to the source material).

I don't care if you were in a frat in college, but if your jokes are (still) mostly of the dick variety, you need to re-evaluate how you try to connect with your situation.

Given how much you've agonized about this (to the point of accusing all your classmates about just being uptight), if that's truly the best example you can think of, you've got a long road ahead of you lol.
Oh wow.. chillax, I love u too

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to let you know, my sister couldn't stop laughing at your joke when I read her this thread, so you're not alone with your humor

And that's all they've been ever since bama grabbed em right by the... Wait, not the right joke around this crowd

Roll tide!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

*Gasp* He said the B-word?! *Hyperventilates*
Okok hopefully last post. Gotta go study for real.

The ortho group seems down to earth, but theres a skew of the uber competitive students who gun for it,

One was trying to brag about playing classical violin the other day, asked "do you play any classical instruments", I replied "dude, look at my biceps". Some laughed, some grimaced
Or it was easier to just laugh then deal with the social awkwardness of saying you sound like a doosh.
Not saying you are. I would have laughed at that. But doesn't mean it was well received.

I feel you OP though. I used to make jokes about gender "fluid" people, but I've stopped because the SJW's are just too ****ing annoying and uptight about it.

I still think it's absurd that people get offended at you defining them by their biological gender.

I feel you OP though. I used to make jokes about gender "fluid" people, but I've stopped because the SJW's are just too ****ing annoying and uptight about it.

I still think it's absurd that people get offended at you defining them by their biological gender.

Sex is biological. Gender is a social construct. Confusing the two will get you minus points from your psychiatry attending.

Sex is biological. Gender is a social construct. Confusing the two will get you minus points from your psychiatry attending.
Lol

Reactions: 5 users

First of all, you are a suck up for changing sides as soon as you found that the opinions in this thread shifted.
Second, I never make fun of the LGBTQ community and if you are going into medicine I suggest you do the same.

Reactions: 13 users
I kinda feel like med school is like an older version of high school, at least at our school it is. It's quite cliquey and with such a range of ages in med school (our youngest is 22, oldest is like 50), personalities vary a lot. I love having a beer every night and occasionally having dinner with some of the older couples, but "getting hammered" after an exam is just not something I'm personally into anymore. Are there any other professional students at your school? We occasionally hang out with the vet and graduate students that share our campus. Gives a little more diversity in people hahaha.

First of all, you are a suck up for changing sides as soon as you found that the opinions in this thread shifted.
Second, I never make fun of the LGBTQ community and if you are going into medicine I suggest you do the same.
Sorry

BTW I felt sexually harassed by your "Dr. Boner" "joke". I never sexually harass people and since you are in medicine I suggest you do the same.

Last edited:
OP when I get to med school I will try your Dr. Boner joke and see if anyone laughs.

For science.

Did you hear about the guy with five penises?

His pants fit him like a glove.

Try that one on for size ;)

Reactions: 8 users
My friend and I in high school used to pull jokes similar to the "more like Dr. Boner" joke... partly to be corny and partly to just laugh at ourselves.
Still have yet to find a close friend like that in my adult life and tend to feel alone when starting a new job or a new class but I always try to be myself and come out of my shell and see who will be drawn to my lame humor.

For science.

Try using this one today:

Jesus sure healed a lot of people, but he was never a physician. Do you know why?

He got nailed on his boards.

Reactions: 15 users
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share my experience and see if there are others in the same boat. So I am currently an MS 2 and I've found that I can't really relate to any of my classmates.

I was in a fraternity in college and my buddies always joked around and called each other rude endearing names to lighten conversations. Even the college girls I hung out with were fun and drank on the weekends and said mean funny things to each other. In med school no one does that and I'm often seen as that obnoxious guy. I've been trying to keep it on the extreme down-low but sometimes its not even socially acceptable to say something as innocent like "yeah lets go get hammered" or something like that. So I can't make any "rude" jokes that are funny to me and I can't relate to any of them. Heck I can't keep a straight face and have sophisticated conversations (e.g. about the impact of Obamacare) all the time?

The truth is, this is medicine in general - the people generally suck. Same w the corporate world. That's bc people want you to be good and accommodating, there is no virtue in joking/being an individual. Consider that for long term purposes when you go into a field. You'll be better off w ED/Ortho.

How about anesthesia? My limited experience has found them to be pretty chill. Agree that the surgical folks are chiller than others. Although nsgy folks are very hit or miss.

Its MS2 already and I find myself more alone than ever. I only have fun whenever I go back to Austin to hang out with my college buddies who have graduated. Just wondering if this is just my school, if it changes in the hospital and if anyone else is having a similar experience.

Shoulda went to a DO school. I think that's where most of the frat boys ended up. At least at my school

Reactions: 2 users
Or it was easier to just laugh then deal with the social awkwardness of saying you sound like a doosh.
Not saying you are. I would have laughed at that. But doesn't mean it was well received.

Those who do not receive it well suffer from BBD, a truly terrible affliction

(Baby-bicep disease)

Dude, we are the same person.

I wouldn't dare make a socially questionable joke around anyone. I can talk to them, hit the bars, and make conversation in labs and stuff but I can't really goof off or be myself around them.

I live alone, sit in my apartment and study alone. The only time I hang with people are post-exam nights or moderately free nights when everyones going out. And when I do go out with them, I have a good time, but its not nearly the same as going out with my friends from undergrad or back at home. It's pretty isolating and annoying to not truly be able to relate to many. While I feel like I've made tons of friends in med school, I don't feel like I've made a single "great" friend or anyone I'll keep in touch with after were out of here. And I'm a very social guy.

Reactions: 4 users
I hope I can find people that I can joke around with lol
PS. saw 'em off :)

I have to warn you that its not that funny lol. Once, I pointed at a picture of our (mostly disliked) professor on the staff roster and said "Dr. John Doe? More like Dr. Boner." *Blank stares from everyone*

Not to be mean but this is the stupidest joke I've ever heard in my life lolll

This thread is weird.

Not my med school experience, at least. My classmates just seem like...*gasp*...normal people?

I have never said that. I enjoy all kinds of humor. I have about 5-6 good friends in med school that hang out on occasion (mostly due to step). I think most would agree that there are certain traits about med students that are pretty much universally seen as uptight.
OK, let's see this...

1) casting judgmental looks when someone else is being more "chill".
I mean, the amount of judgement inherent in framing it as more 'chill' is already odd, so...I honestly don't know how to take this one. But sure, we self-regulate sometimes, and some people are annoying about it. Most of the time, it's a socially bad thing to be the judgemental one, even in med school.
2) Talking anything bad about the curriculum is taboo/unprofessional and you should never allow yourself to complain.
Lololololol that is the most inaccurate representation of med students that I have ever heard in my life. Not just my med school, either, though I'd say that we certainly express our displeasure with the curriculum very loudly when it comes up. Our administration encourages it and actually fails you for the block if you don't give feedback on how they did, so complaints are not only common, but encouraged (as long as you give them in a non-arsehole manner). They also respond to them quickly and change the curriculum/resources offered with surprising rapidity. Outside of that, 90% of what I hear from med students as a whole is complaining . Like, have you read SDN?
3) Literally everything is a scheme for popularity (liking someone's Facebook status, picking sides based on popularity, and just general passive-aggressiveness).
This is true for some med students, just as it was in undergrad, and in high school, and will be in 50yrs for those same people. I don't hang out with those people, because yes it's annoying. But it's hardly med-student specific, nor ubiquitous in the med school population.

I think some of you misunderstand, and i could have phrased it better. I wasn't here to say my classmates are too uptight for me to like. I was here looking for advice to see if the general culture changes when we graduate or what I can do to fit in better. Now I appreciate all of your comments and I think the general consensus is that I should tune it down a notch further to fit in. And thats what I'm going to try to do to relate to my classmates better. Thanks everyone, just respectfully letting y'all know that I'll read your further comments but won't comment anymore (crunch time for step lol).
You've got your own group, it sounds like. So let the judgers and the popular-wannabes do their own thing and you'll have the culture you want.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a jerk here (really), but perhaps you're just too immature and un-funny.

"Getting hammered" is not something adults above a certain class level do - certainly not those in positions of power and responsibility. It's an extremely immature behavior which is probably why you get the looks that you do.

"Dr. Boner" isn't funny - not in this context at least. It's basically 4th grade humor at best.

My guess is that all the techniques you've used to get people to like you up to this point no longer work because you're no longer surrounded by losers. (Sorry. But also, yay!) Time to change tactics.

"It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but let's pull that band-aid off quickly and be done with it.

TL; DR:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
This thread and that lame-ass joke got me like...

UME9Dr.gif

RIP Charlie Murphy btw.

Your problem isn't with them not liking humor, that's not funny haha

Most of the physicians I know have a dark sense of humor. You gotta make the joke more sophisticatedly dirty. :)

Not to be mean but this is the stupidest joke I've ever heard in my life lolll
That's kinda the point lol. It's so dumb that you laughed. Ugh gotta explain this on a forum

Not trying to be a jerk here (really), but perhaps you're just too immature and un-funny.

"Getting hammered" is not something adults above a certain class level do - certainly not those in positions of power and responsibility. It's an extremely immature behavior which is probably why you get the looks that you do.

"Dr. Boner" isn't funny - not in this context at least. It's basically 4th grade humor at best.

My guess is that all the techniques you've used to get people to like you up to this point no longer work because you're no longer surrounded by losers. (Sorry. But also, yay!) Time to change tactics.

"It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but let's pull that band-aid off quickly and be done with it.

TL; DR:

You sound like someone who makes everything unnecessarily complicated and sophisticated. Yes you can still say "getting hammered".. no matter how rich/important/powerful you think you are. My friends outside med school who work corporate jobs or are lawyers and judges say things like these all the time (not in court/clinic/professional situations, but to close friends). Get off your high horse, you're not that important.

Alrighty last post for real, love you all

You haven't met many surgeons, have you?

Reactions: 6 users
Yes you can still say "getting hammered".. no matter how rich/important/powerful you think you are.

Of course you can... but not if you want to be taken seriously. People in med school (aka your peers) are probably trying really hard to differentiate themselves from the frat boys/girls they left behind. The last thing they want to be seen as is the partying/dick-joke losers most people their age are so, yeah, they're probably trying pretty hard to seem like professionals. But in their defense, a little unprofessionalism goes a long way when you're being evaluated (which is always).

Get off your high horse, you're not that important.

I'm just trying to help you understand the behavior you're describing or, failing that, help anyone else who's reading this thread.

It's all good though. Don't listen to me - I'm just a guy. Go find your bros and chug some brewskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.