SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

clearance checks?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Student4Life0, Dec 8, 2010.

  1. Student4Life0


    Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Sendtrees

    Sendtrees 7+ Year Member

    Mar 5, 2010
    I'm not sure, but I think they are only looking for offenses that would indicate you would be dangerous with children (child abuse, child endangerment, etc). While I suppose a puritan could stretch your DUI into that realm, I think you are all right. Why not send an email to the school and let them know this might come up, and do they forsee a problem?
  4. Student4Life0


    Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  5. Markp

    Markp Clinical Psychologist 7+ Year Member

    Nov 19, 2007
    Shouldn't need a lawyer, but I am not a lawyer and recommend that you retain one:

    Here is what I could find:

    Following is from Act 114 of 2006, as amended.
    24 PS 1-111 AS AMENDED (partial)

    (e) No person subject to this act shall be employed in a public or private school, intermediate unit or area vocational-technical school where the report of criminal history record information indicates the applicant has been convicted, within five (5) years immediately preceding the date of the report, of any of the following offenses:

    (1) An offense under one or more of the following provisions of Title 18 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes:

    Chapter 25 (relating to criminal homicide).
    Section 2702 (relating to aggravated assault).
    Former section 2709(b) (relating to stalking).
    Section 2709.1 (relating to stalking).
    Section 2901 (relating to kidnapping).
    Section 2902 (relating to unlawful restraint).
    Section 3121 (relating to rape).
    Section 3122.1 (relating to statutory sexual assault).
    Section 3123 (relating to involuntary deviate sexual intercourse).
    Section 3124.1 (relating to sexual assault).
    Section 3125 (relating to aggravated indecent assault).
    Section 3126 (relating to indecent assault).
    Section 3127 (relating to indecent exposure).
    Section 4302 (relating to incest).
    Section 4303 (relating to concealing death of child).
    Section 4304 (relating to endangering welfare of children).
    Section 4305 (relating to dealing in infant children).
    A felony offense under section 5902(b) (relating to prostitution and related offenses).
    Section 5903(c) or (d) (relating to obscene and other sexual materials and performances).
    Section 6301 (relating to corruption of minors).
    Section 6312 (relating to sexual abuse of children).

    (2) An offense designated as a felony under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L. 233, No. 64), known as "The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act."
    (3) An out-of-State or Federal offense similar in nature to those crimes listed in clauses (1) and (2).

    I think you are good to go, but I would make sure with a lawyer if you have questions.

  6. Student4Life0


    Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  7. Therapist4Chnge

    Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Life happens. I think where people get themselves into trouble is trying to lie/conceal an arrest. Be honest and have a succinct and thought out response if they ask you about it.
  8. AcronymAllergy

    AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist Moderator Psychologist Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

    Jan 7, 2010
    This. There's no need to unnecessarily over-disclose when the information is irrelevant to the discussion, but you also definitely don't want to hide (or come across as hiding) the incident. As T4C mentioned, simply be honest if asked, and have a pre-planned response ready to go.

Share This Page