clearing the air about mcp boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIBERIANGIRL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
since i had a B.S before i came to boston, my proirities were different. i new i wanted to be a pharmacist right out of high school. when i came here my concerns was school and that only. i have had lots of opportunities in boston. if you put yourself out there you will enjoy your experiences here. if you are one of those people who just want to get a job making 100k, you would be annoyed of what you had to go through. i have learned during rotations that all schools are the same. there is always a problem. i rotate with northeastern student, they do not know anymore than i do and sometimes i find out that i do know a little more. i have join the professional pharmacy societies on campus and i get involve. if you do not like something you fix it. getting into mcp was not hard and i got into 3 other schools also, i do not regret my decision to come to boston. i have been exposed to a lot of people. i call people and meet mcp alumni everywhere that are doing great things. the reason for the bad rap is because of bad students. i learn that pharmacy is an individual choice. in retail i met 2 pharmacist from different schools in boston. one pharmacist knew most of his patients by name the other pharmacist told me if a patient needed counseling to speak to the pharmacy manager. you guess who graduated from where. go to dean meetings and speak up, join apha-asp, become active and than you can argue something on this board.

Members don't see this ad.

LIBERIANGIRL said:
since i had a B.S before i came to boston, my proirities were different. i new i wanted to be a pharmacist right out of high school. when i came here my concerns was school and that only. i have had lots of opportunities in boston. if you put yourself out there you will enjoy your experiences here. if you are one of those people who just want to get a job making 100k, you would be annoyed of what you had to go through. i have learned during rotations that all schools are the same. there is always a problem. i rotate with northeastern student, they do not know anymore than i do and sometimes i find out that i do know a little more. i have join the professional pharmacy societies on campus and i get involve. if you do not like something you fix it. getting into mcp was not hard and i got into 3 other schools also, i do not regret my decision to come to boston. i have been exposed to a lot of people. i call people and meet mcp alumni everywhere that are doing great things. the reason for the bad rap is because of bad students. i learn that pharmacy is an individual choice. in retail i met 2 pharmacist from different schools in boston. one pharmacist knew most of his patients by name the other pharmacist told me if a patient needed counseling to speak to the pharmacy manager. you guess who graduated from where. go to dean meetings and speak up, join apha-asp, become active and than you can argue something on this board.

Were English 101 and Effective Communications 101 on the back burner for you while in school?

Apparantly good communication skills are not a priority for some people. Luckily, I have gradeschool kids next door who can act as intermediates and translate non-capitalized, sentence fragments, and improper verb/noun conjugations into something that is somewhat easier to understand. In fact, this could be an untapped and lucrative job market for third graders!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, did they not teach you guys Charm 101 at that cushy private school Daddy sent you to?

Liberiangirl can speak for herself, but until you've gone to another country and mastered a language which is not your first, you both could stand to adopt a better manner. Speaking from experience, writing in a 2nd language is the most difficult part of mastery. So what if it's not Shakespeare? Did you understand what she was saying?

In how many languages are you guys proficient?

Troy

twester said:
Hey, did they not teach you guys Charm 101 at that cushy private school Daddy sent you to?

Liberiangirl can speak for herself, but until you've gone to another country and mastered a language which is not your first, you both could stand to adopt a better manner. Speaking from experience, writing in a 2nd language is the most difficult part of mastery. So what if it's not Shakespeare? Did you understand what she was saying?

In how many languages are you guys proficient?

Troy
Oh jeez, I just got schooled in charm by someone old enough to be my father....

FYI- Almost 95% of pharmacy students pay for their own schooling (including myself)

If you are saying that this person writes/speaks like this because of an english problem, I can accept that. The trouble is what happens when you have a prescription for Celexa or Celebrex? How about Aricept or Aciphex (which have almost identical labels) If you are going to practice, you need good english.

Im glad that she understands what she is saying, but she MUST communicate that message much better than what she had. All her points were great! As with anything in life, it's how you present yourself, not what you know.

I speak, read, and write five languages and am currently working on learning Italian since my sister just got married to one. I also have a number of friends from other countries that probably speak and write English better than I do. Oh, and I worked and paid my way through all of my schooling!

It doesn't really bother me when people can't speak proper English when they come from another country. However, if someone from another country chooses to be a professional in the US, then they should be able to speak proper English. I worked with a pharmacist who was born and raised in Ghana and he spoke better
English than most Americans!! We are all representing the pharmacy profession!! I know that a big complaint from many people is that they can't understand their doctors/pharmacists. I think that it should be a top priority for anyone who plans on working in the US to learn proper English and in some areas Spanish. Some people might find it hard taking medical advice from someone that they do not understand.

Funny you should mention Ghana, but one of my good friends is from there. He works at walgreens and the customers love him, but he definately does have a bit of accent. He has been a tech for several years and is applying to the Doctor of Pharmacy program at a few schools next year. I asked him if it was hard interacting with patients being from a foriegn country and he is the one that really stressed the importance of learning the language well to be able to communicate effectively. In part, that is why he waited for a couple years before he applied.

Isn't this a violation of TOS?

LIBERIANGIRL said:
i sucks that you miss the point of all this.

I think perhaps you missed C-ject's second post:

Caverject said:
Im glad that she understands what she is saying, but she MUST communicate that message much better than what she had. All her points were great! As with anything in life, it's how you present yourself, not what you know.

FutureRxGal said:
Isn't this a violation of TOS?

I think perhaps you missed C-ject's second post:
it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah Liberiangirl, i must say you are a little bit harder to understand. Still, I think I understand what you're saying. You must have been criticized by other people for going to mcp and enrolling into a poor curriculum. I believe that is why you're trying to defend the program.

Whether the mcp program is equal, better, or inferior to other pharmacy programs, I believe on thing you said is very true: you should try to make the most of it wherever you're learning. I'm sure you can do a better job in conveying your thoughts to others. Good luck!