CLEP now, retake later? (Financial aid issues)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluidity of Movement

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, been a long time since I've been around...

I've officially taken too long to finish my 2 year degree, and have been cut off financial aid. I've scrounged up some cash for a class this semester which will let me graduate and be able to get aid for university in the fall.

But right now it's really difficult for me financially, and I'm considering just doing CLEP due to the cost being literally 10x cheaper, and I'm barely keeping myself above water right now as is.

So, I've completed GChem 1 + lab, and am currently enrolled in GChem 2 + lab.. My plan was to finish chem 2 and CLEP for calculus 1 + 2 so I can graduate... Then take statistics + another math at university.

But now, I'm considering just CLEP for chem 2, and then taking a 300 level chemistry + lab in its place, or retaking chem 2 at university. (I'm going to take biochem and O chem 1+2 regardless as well)

So again, chem 1 + lab is already done, and I'm CLEPing calculus 1+2 regardless... A bunch of the schools I'm looking at have provisions for CC classes and CLEP, but I haven't gone through literally every DO and MD school or sent emails.

So the question is: is retaking Chem 2 or a taking 300 level chem going to be OK once I'm in university? This will be on top of Orgo 1 + 2 and Biochem. Some schools seem to be certainly fine with this from my investigation, but I'm inquiring on a more general level.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It’s not time that causes funding issues, it’s number of classes. How many credits do you have? How many left for your degree? How much per credit is your local cc?

It’s not time that causes funding issues, it’s number of classes. How many credits do you have? How many left for your degree? How much per credit is your local cc?

This is incorrect, at least for my state / school. There are SAP concerning 150% of allotted time for degree completion to receive any aid.

I could appeal and likely get a waiver approved, however my Pell grant has been exhausted (for 2 year), and the remainder of my Stafford I'm reserving explicitly for university.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is incorrect, at least for my state / school. There are SAP concerning 150% of allotted time for degree completion to receive any aid.

I could appeal and likely get a waiver approved, however my Pell grant has been exhausted (for 2 year), and the remainder of my Stafford I'm reserving explicitly for university.
So your triggering event for wanting to do cleo isn’t inability to get funds for school but inability to get free funds for school?

If you can get loans, take the loans and finish school. Or get a job and cash flow the community college until you transfer to a university, or just go to univeristy now.....in that order

Don’t clep a prereq when you don’t have to

So your triggering event for wanting to do cleo isn’t inability to get funds for school but inability to get free funds for school?

I know you probably answer dozens of questions similar to this per day, but you're not reading my posts very well.

It's the same thing as inability to get funds for school, because as I stated the remainder of my Stafford is being saved for university, and I'm on financial aid "hold" anyway, and would have to appeal.

I'm already in the class now and it's paid for, but I'm struggling to eat and put gas in at the moment, which may prevent me from finishing the class successfully this semester.

So, back to the original question, is retaking Chem 2 or a taking 300 level chem going to be OK once I'm in university? This will be on top of Orgo 1 + 2 and Biochem. Some schools seem to be certainly fine with this from my investigation, but I was inquiring on a more general level.

Last edited:
I know you probably answer dozens of questions similar to this per day, but you're not reading my posts very well.

It's the same thing as inability to get funds for school, because as I stated the remainder of my Stafford is being saved for university, and I'm on financial aid "hold" anyway, and would have to appeal.

I'm already in the class now and it's paid for, but I'm struggling to eat and put gas in at the moment, which may prevent me from finishing the class successfully this semester.

So, back to the original question, is retaking Chem 2 or a taking 300 level chem going to be OK once I'm in university? This will be on top of Orgo 1 + 2 and Biochem. Some schools seem to be certainly fine with this from my investigation, but I was inquiring on a more general level.
Why are you taking classes so slowly and still not working enough to eat?

Why are you taking classes so slowly and still not working enough to eat?

Thanks for taking the time, but I'm done talking to you on this topic if you're not going to answer my question.

Peace and blessings to you.

Thanks for taking the time, but I'm done talking to you on this topic if you're not going to answer my question.

Peace and blessings to you.
These are all pieces of the puzzle the could hold your actual answer but you do you. Good luck

These are all pieces of the puzzle the could hold your actual answer but you do you. Good luck

Again thanks for your time and concern, but I was really just interested in general information, not advice specific to my situation.