Clerkship books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakstat33

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the current thought on what books to buy for the clerkship? thanks :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Blueprints in Ob-Gyn will give you the basic overview and facts that you'll need to get through the rotation. If you plan on doing an elective in OB-Gyn (MFM, Gyn Onc, etc) then go a step above and get OB-GYN by Beckmann (pink book) which is an easy read and will give you a more in depth look. Any bigger text (Gabbe, Williams, etc) will be over kill for you as a medical student.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply!

Will the Blueprints OBGYN book dive deep enough into the field to give me the understanding necessary to honor the rotation? I do not plan on going into OBGYN, but do plan on pursuing a surgical subspecialty. Also, are there any good question books for OBGYN that you would recommend? (maybe even websites with practice ?'s for Shelf exams ala Qbank for Step 1??)

Thanks.

Global Disrobal said:
Blueprints in Ob-Gyn will give you the basic overview and facts that you'll need to get through the rotation. If you plan on doing an elective in OB-Gyn (MFM, Gyn Onc, etc) then go a step above and get OB-GYN by Beckmann (pink book) which is an easy read and will give you a more in depth look. Any bigger text (Gabbe, Williams, etc) will be over kill for you as a medical student.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
With Blueprints you'll get what is needed for the rotation and honoring shoudln't be a problem. Just remember (from personal experience and that of classmates), your OB grade is often affected by a couple of things such as:

- showing initiative on L&D, even if you don't want to do OB in the future, do get in there and do some deliveries, jump in on some suturing at the end od c-sections, and stay up on call nights and write some notes.

- on gyn, bear with it like the rest of us when you have to retract during those damn vag hyst cases where you'll probably won't see anything

- and don't put down the specialty because you don;t want to do it. I saw many students go down because as soon as they were asked what they were going into, they quickly said NOT OB and went on explaining why not...just say you're keeping your options open but surgery is interesting.

These should help the non-exam portion of your grade. As for a good question book, go with OB-GYN Secrets. It has a lot of questions, some over your head (ie. Sonogram) but overall an easy read (I read mine always on the shuttle between parking and the hospital)

Anyway, good luck with the rotation and surgery (in the future)

Thanks for the good advice!

Sooo, what if I went a step further & seemed overly interested in OBGYN and told them that I was going into the field (knowing full well that I wasn't) to get a better grade, would that in some way be unethical?

Global Disrobal said:
With Blueprints you'll get what is needed for the rotation and honoring shoudln't be a problem. Just remember (from personal experience and that of classmates), your OB grade is often affected by a couple of things such as:

- showing initiative on L&D, even if you don't want to do OB in the future, do get in there and do some deliveries, jump in on some suturing at the end od c-sections, and stay up on call nights and write some notes.

- on gyn, bear with it like the rest of us when you have to retract during those damn vag hyst cases where you'll probably won't see anything

- and don't put down the specialty because you don;t want to do it. I saw many students go down because as soon as they were asked what they were going into, they quickly said NOT OB and went on explaining why not...just say you're keeping your options open but surgery is interesting.

These should help the non-exam portion of your grade. As for a good question book, go with OB-GYN Secrets. It has a lot of questions, some over your head (ie. Sonogram) but overall an easy read (I read mine always on the shuttle between parking and the hospital)

Anyway, good luck with the rotation and surgery (in the future)

Hehe...I'll leave the ethics to you! :D I just know from past experience that they look at you more favorably when you don't come right out against the specialty and bad mouth it. The "keeping my options open" approach is always a PC and good way to go on most of your rotations.

I know some people in my class who would say they wanted to do EVERY ROTATION (especially in front of residents/attendings) in hope of getting a better grade. I don't really think it's unethical, but other classmates would sure get annoyed by them.

I think the best thing to do is to be or seem interested, and global's post is right on. In ob-gyn babies and emergencies come quickly, and if you're off in the library studying things will happen without you being paged. Ask if you can suture or deliver or do the pelvic exam yourself. I think that goes a long way.

Also, another good book which I didn't use but I used for surgery and it helped A LOT is the Lange Case Files series. Some of my classmates only had time to read that and did fine on the exam. I used Blueprints and found it a good review, but I had a good amount of prior experience so it's hard to tell where I learned the material from.

Good luck!
:) kem

Since we are on the subject of review books, what do you think about OB/GYN Pre-Test? Do any of you have any thoughts about how good, bad or useful this book might be as an additional aid in preparing for step 2 :confused:

I'm a BIG fan of the Lange OB/GYN Case Files (by Eugene Toy) - I have several classmates other than myself that studied that along with Blueprints and got an A on the NBME shelf exam and honored the rotation. Good luck!!

my dad (an ob.gyn) asked me to find out what the best textbook for maternal-fetal medicine is....could any of you recommend a text?

thanks.

People at my program like "Clinical Maternal-Fetal Medicine" by Winn, Hobbins, and Hobbins. Have him peek through it at a local medical book store though since alot of these books are hit and miss depending on the reader's taste.

what do you guys think about high yield OB? I dont plan on going into OB GYN either but would like to honor the rotation :)