Cleveland Clinic Vs. Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shre

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I admit this is the question that most likely comes up every year. But since this is the first time I am applying, can somebody please be kind to provide me information about their relative strengths and weaknesses. From what I have heard last, a bunch of prominent neurologists including the department chair Dr. Luders moved from CCF to CW. So, how would you rank CCF now?

Members don't see this ad.

Your first sentence is correct in the sense that this question has been posed before. You should search. Maybe you could look for something like 'cleveland programs'

My sense is that CCF had been the leader, but quite a few prominent CCF attending defected from CCF to Case. Included in this group are Drs. Luders, DeGeorgia (Intensivist) and Furlan (Stroke/Critical Care) who is now the Chair at Case.

CCF would be above Case in NeuroImmunology/MS and Sleep. I think CCF is better than Case in Epilepsy and Movement Disorders as well. Case may have the edge in Stroke/CVA (now) as well as Neuromuscular and Neuro-Ophthalmology. I'm not sure about Neuro-Oncology and Headache. CCF is one of the best in the nation in Pain, so they would have the edge in that field (though the Pain fellowship maybe run by Anesthesia).

I would agree with most of the above. When Furlan left the department, he actually took a fair amount of people from Stroke. They actually seem to be hurting for Stroke faculty a little bit right now. When Luders left, on the other hand, my understanding is that few, if any, from Epilepsy followed him.

All the same, probably couldn't go wrong with either one of them at this point. Can't say what the case will be 4 years from now, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know which other prominent Stroke attendings went with Furlan over to Case? Just kinda curious.

I'd also agree that both programs are excellent and one will get excellent training (and have very strong fellowship opportunities) coming from both.

I can't quote you any names, wish I could help you out. As you might guess from my location, I'm not exactly close to Cleveland. I've just been able to discuss it lately with some people close to the program. Sorry I can't be more help.