Cleveland Clinics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doodpac

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this program, good or bad.

Members don't see this ad.

doodpac said:
Any thoughts on this program, good or bad.

I've commented on this program before. Excellent facilities and well renowned faculty, but poor clinical training. There is no resident run clinic, their numbers for cataracts as primary surgeon are quite low in the 70s-80s and quite honestly residents seem to do more observation and working alongside attendings rather than having a primary role in patient care. They also have a very strong research program in terms of clinical studies and basic science.

eyedr said:
I've commented on this program before. Excellent facilities and well renowned faculty, but poor clinical training. There is no resident run clinic, their numbers for cataracts as primary surgeon are quite low in the 70s-80s and quite honestly residents seem to do more observation and working alongside attendings rather than having a primary role in patient care. They also have a very strong research program in terms of clinical studies and basic science.
The faculty and senior residents quoted numbers ~100 but who knows if this is truthful. What I don't like is that for all of the cases done at the Clinic (on private patients), the attendings will take over if a complication arises. I would imagine that it is an important part of training to learn how to rescue cases when complications come up. Some of the personalities (attendings, not the residents) were a little odd. Otherwise a young and very energetic faculty using cutting edge treatments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone mention how the interview went? Any tough questions asked? Thanks.

maxmcmatt said:
Malignant.

I personally know several residents at Cleveland Clinic and I don't agree that the place is malignant. It is atually one of the few places that creates a great learning environment, plenty of one-on-one with attendings, and much lighter call-wise than most other programs.

JR said:
I personally know several residents at Cleveland Clinic and I don't agree that the place is malignant. It is atually one of the few places that creates a great learning environment, plenty of one-on-one with attendings, and much lighter call-wise than most other programs.
zz

maxmcmatt said:
You may know people, but I know that the program director does not care about the residents, and the chairman has a national reputation for being an arrogant tyrant.
You have no idea.
Do yourself a favor.
DON"T RANK COLE EYE!

That's a bold statement, Max. Would you mind elaborating a bit? At the very least, can you comment on the source of your information and your relationship to Cole? Are you a former resident or something?

Having interviewed there recently, I'm quite surprised to hear such an assessment. The program director really seemed like a nice, hard-working guy -- and the residents really appeared to like him. The chairman did seem a bit stiff, but nothing out of the ordinary.

If the program is really that bad, then the residents deserve Oscars for their performance during the interview day.

On a related note: is it just me, or does the Chairman look a lot like Mr. Bean? A Mexican Jew that looks like a British comedian! That is pimp...

maxmcmatt said:
You may know people, but I know that the program director does not care about the residents

I'm not sure what this guy's motivation is for bashing the Cole Eye Institute, but take what he has to say with a grain of salt.

Elias Traboulsi, the Program Director at CCF, is one of the nicest attendings I have ever met, and clearly cares deeply for his residents. I honestly can't believe Max is even talking about the same person. I have never met anyone that doesn't like him. I worked with him as a med student, and saw firsthand how hard he works to help his residents learn, publish, and get the most out of their residency.

As for CCF, it's not perfect, but it does have a lot going for it...Amazing facilities, world-class research, world-renowned attendings, a great reputation, etc. Cleveland sucks, but hey, you can't have everything.

Morton

CCF seems to be one of those places that some people love to bash. I'm not entirely sure why. I happen to be a resident (internal medicine) there now and think its an awesome place to train. Maybe some people think they sound chic or urbane when they say stuff like "fellow-run" or "staff driven" (get the same comments about internal medicine, far from the truth). But I guess it's not for everyone. I think if you're motivated then CCF provides tons of clinical and research opportunities.

Back to my question: any "tough" questions asked during the interview?

Thanks.

No really tough questions, but got a lot of research ?s and details regarding my corneal research. Everyone was super nice. Take care and good luck. Sorry to post this reply so late but been busy traveling on the interview circuit.

DoctorDolemite said:
If the program is really that bad, then the residents deserve Oscars for their performance during the interview day.

There is a lot of cover-up during the interview day. Even some outright lying. The worst programs lie the most. At one lousy program, one resident said with a straight face that the program was the best in the country. At other programs, some residents don't realize the shortcomings of the program. I don't know anything about CCF aside from some rumors and brief contact with one of the residents. I didn't interview there.