Climate Alarmists: Volatile Anesthetics Must Be Abandoned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Low flow is better at decreasing waste since you're not pushing out agent molecules as quickly to the scavenger.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That only applies with low concentration at high flow, like 6% at 3L.

Increase the concentration to 18%, and you can run 1L but same speed as above.

Of course 18% is the max on Des, but Sevo lets you have a 4x difference.

Wash in is determined by how many molecules of agent are in stream, free gas flow is only a partial determinant of that.
Yes, plus they have done studies of peds inductions with high versus low flow and it’s not that much different. Yoj go to low flows, and just crank the dial up.

Yes, plus they have done studies of peds inductions with high versus low flow and it’s not that much different. Yoj go to low flows, and just crank the dial up.
Because minute ventilation is low: there's no point dialing 8L/min when the kid has a minute volume of 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because minute ventilation is low: there's no point dialing 8L/min when the kid has a minute volume of 4.

Minute ventilation is a product of tidal volume and respiratory rate, not anesthesia machine fresh gas flow.

You don't need to have fresh gas flow any higher than replacement of consumed oxygen and losses from leaks (cuff, circuit, metabolism of vapor), regardless of pediatric/adult minute ventilation requirements.

Reactions: 1 user

8L/min at 8% is faster than 4L/min at 8% in peds because there are more molecules of vapor during inspiration, but the difference is not very noticeable and likely wouldn't be apparent in a scientific study.

Can you provide references pls. What did the studies consider high vs low flows?

Minute ventilation is a product of tidal volume and respiratory rate, not anesthesia machine fresh gas flow.

You don't need to have fresh gas flow any higher than replacement of consumed oxygen and losses from leaks (cuff, circuit, metabolism of vapor), regardless of pediatric/adult minute ventilation requirements.
This might be true for maintenance but not for induction. You need higher flows to prevent rebreathing and dilution of inhaled vapour.

I also believe there is a limit in fresh gas flows that will allow vaporization. Any higher and you are not getting any more molecules of anesthetic

Actually, on the older machines Fresh gas flow rates did affect minute ventilation. In our practice, the last of these machines was phased out about a dozen years ago. I saw one of these in a veterinary office just a few years ago.

Actually, on the older machines Fresh gas flow rates did affect minute ventilation. In our practice, the last of these machines was phased out about a dozen years ago. I saw one of these in a veterinary office just a few years ago.

We've still got a couple of those old narcomeds at one of our hospitals where the tidal volumes change when you change the FGF. Drives me nuts.

They even still have the Halothane vaporizers attached (dry obviously).

It's always amusing to see our fresh grad new hires walk into one of those rooms for the first time and no have idea WFT they're looking at.

Reactions: 2 users
In mechanical ventilation not SV

Comparison of low‐fresh gas flow technique to standard technique of sevoflurane induction in children—A randomized controlled trial
Summary

Background
Although sevoflurane is preferred for inhalational induction in children, financial and environmental costs remain major limitations. The aim of this study was to determine if the use of low‐fresh gas flow during inhalational induction with sevoflurane could significantly reduce agent consumption, without adversely affecting induction conditions.
Methods
After institutional ethical committee approval, 50 children, aged 1‐5 years, undergoing ophthalmic procedures under general anesthesia, were randomized into two groups—standard induction (Group S) and low‐flow induction (Group L). A pediatric circle system with 1 L reservoir bag was primed with 8% sevoflurane in oxygen at 6 L min−1for 30 seconds before beginning induction. In Group S, fresh gas flow was maintained at 6 L min−1until the end of induction. In Group L, fresh gas flow was reduced to 1 L min−1 after applying facemask (time = T0). In both groups, sevoflurane was reduced to 5% after loss of eyelash reflex (T1). Once adequate depth of anesthesia was achieved (regular respiration, loss of muscle tone, and absence of movement to trapezius squeeze), intravenous access was secured (T2), followed by insertion of an appropriately sized LMA‐Classic™ (T3). Heart rate and endtidal sevoflurane concentration were measured at each of the above time points, and at 15 seconds following laryngeal mask airway insertion (T4). The total amount of sevoflurane consumed during induction was recorded.
Results
Sevoflurane consumption was significantly lower in Group L (4.17 ± 0.70 mL) compared to Group S (8.96 ± 1.11 mL) (mean difference 4.79 [95% CI = 4.25‐5.33] mL; P < 0.001). Time to successful laryngeal mask airway insertion was similar in both groups. There were no significant differences in heart rate, incidence of reflex tachycardia, or need for rescue propofol.
Conclusion
Induction of anesthesia with sevoflurane using low‐fresh gas flow is effective in reducing sevoflurane consumption, without compromising induction time and conditions.

Speed? Higher FGF gives faster wash in, wash out, and achievement of steady state. Try a mask induction with low vs high FGF.
I'm imaginging one of my bosses straight-up thinking I plan to gas induce someone with my maintinence flows of ~0.3. Like I'm the special education trainee the college forced upon him.

It looks like they tried to market this before. Why did it failure the first time? (Over 30years ago)

A brief Wikipedia lit review makes it look like it was originally dissolved in Cremophor, a surfactant that had high rates of anaphylaxis. So it wasn't an issue with the active ingredient. Always funny how things like that can totally taint a drug's future.

Alfaxalone - Wikipedia Under history section.

Reactions: 1 user