Clinical Bench Research in Radiation Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vasim

badshah
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a clinical Bench research in Radiation Oncolgy. I'm just curious ...what exactly med school look from here....Is the published letter or what I learned from it? And what is the difference between Clinical Bench research and Research in Lab? Are they both equally qualified for med school? Or which one is more accountable?

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you not more focused on learning what research is like and how to conduct research more so then how med schools will look at the research you have done. I see this so many times by undergraduate students; doing research just to improve their CV and applications instead of LEARNING.

To answer your questions. It depends on the school you are applying to and the person who interviews you. A school that does not put any focus on research is not going to care about the research you have done, as would a school like Stanford. You need to explain what you learned (not the minute details of a molecule) and how it applies to the big picture.

Neither is more accountable. I have no idea where you are getting this idea from. They both have different goal outcomes. Bench research is where the dirty work is done for understanding how genes work, how molecules work, and so forth. Clinical research is more patient orientated.

I'm doing a clinical Bench research in Radiation Oncolgy. I'm just curious ...what exactly med school look from here....Is the published letter or what I learned from it? And what is the difference between Clinical Bench research and Research in Lab? Are they both equally qualified for med school? Or which one is more accountable?

the type of research probably won't matter, what matters is the significance of your role as this will be a factor in your ability to speak intelligently about the research and about your feelings about doing research in the future.

now in the future when you are in med school, the type of research might actually matter when you are trying to impress residency programs...but don't worry about that for now.