Clinical experience and high academics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr.mkitty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a nursing assistant for the last 4 years, as well as having worked in a group home (dealt with numerous psych disorders- for a year), while also being a college athlete. Looking for adcoms opinions on how much these things actually help me? I have a 3.78 GPA and a 517 MCAT (128/128/131/130). Yet I only have 1 semester of research experience (did organic chemistry research).
Should I even try applying to top 20 schools or should I aim at in-state schools and mid-tier private schools?
I'm starting to write secondaries and figured I should ask since I've heard that the majority of top 20 schools desire more research experience than what I have. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Go ahead and apply - you're competitive - but don't expect much, as many people have better stats than you and still fail to get into these schools. It's worth a shot in your case, but have a solid repertoire of mid/low tiers in the wings too. I think you'll be be most successful at mid tiers like USC-Keck, Rochester, Einstein, etc.

Well how much did you accomplish in that 1 semester of ochem research? Were you to the point you started running your own experiments for a project or were you still feeling everything out and learning during that one semester? It would help your cause if you were able to get a good PI rec letter.

Here are some schools I might give some consideration to

State Schools
Around 6-8 or so lower tier schools
Hofstra
Emory
USC
Case Western
Mayo
Rochester
Einstein
Boston U
UVA
Ohio State(maybe)
U of Arizona
Columbia
UCSF(maybe)
Mt Sinai

Yes I would give it a shot at a couple top 20's. There are some top 20's probably which will look for more research experience than you have and you'll be out of luck there but it's worth your while to take a stab at a few I think. Those that have a very high regard for service with the less fortunate and a willingness to look at the entire application are what you should target.

This is a unique application from being a collegiate athlete to having ALOT of experience working with the sick and less fortunate. Is there any volunteering experience also in your app? I think if there is on top of everything else this kind of app can get attention at alot of good schools, maybe even a top 20 school or so.

With your clinical experience, apply broadly, and yes, include some top schools.

Maybe not Harvard, Yale, U Chicago or WashU, but Pitt, Keck, Emory, BU, Northwestern, Baylor, Columbia, Sinai, Einstein, JHU, Vandy, NYU should be considered.

I have been a nursing assistant for the last 4 years, as well as having worked in a group home (dealt with numerous psych disorders- for a year), while also being a college athlete. Looking for adcoms opinions on how much these things actually help me? I have a 3.78 GPA and a 517 MCAT (128/128/131/130). Yet I only have 1 semester of research experience (did organic chemistry research).
Should I even try applying to top 20 schools or should I aim at in-state schools and mid-tier private schools?
I'm starting to write secondaries and figured I should ask since I've heard that the majority of top 20 schools desire more research experience than what I have. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user