Clinical experience but no shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elizabethscherzer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated undergrad in 2015. 3.79 GPA, 517 MCAT. I worked in a breastfeeding clinic for 2 years of undergrad (with patient contact) and now I've been a clinical research coordinator at a big hospital for 6 months - I also scribe for my PI in clinic weekly. But I've never done any actual shadowing. Trying to apply to MD programs for 2017. Will the scribing be enough, or am I screwing myself over with nothing that is strictly shadowing?

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence and what is your tentative school list?
MA resident, UMass is my top choice. Tentative school list includes SUNY Downstate, NYU, Albert Einstein, University of Vermont, University of Maryland, University of Wisconsin, University of Colorado, Quinnipiac, University of Pittsburgh, not sure where else (would also appreciate advice on the school list!)

In addition to the experience I already mentioned, I also worked in a lab doing HIV-related cardiology research on rats, tutored high school biology in Spanish (long story), and spent a summer as an unpaid intern at an addiction clinic. I did some observation there - watching the psychiatrists perform psych evals, mostly - but it wasn't one major experience that was just shadowing, it was just something I did some of as part of the internship. Would that count for anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Other schools you can add:
Tufts (some MA resident preference)
Boston University (some MA resident preference)
Einstein
Hofstra
Albany
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Loyola
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami

Other schools you can add:
Tufts (some MA resident preference)
Boston University (some MA resident preference)
Einstein
Hofstra
Albany
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Loyola
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami

Thanks! Do you think these are schools that will not mind the lack of shadowing experience? I can try to find something this summer so I would have some by the time I (hopefully) do interviews but I wouldn't have it before applications go in.

I do not believe the lack of shadowing will be a problem since you appear to have other adequate clinical related volunteering.

I do not believe the lack of shadowing will be a problem since you appear to have other adequate clinical related volunteering.
Thanks, that's really good to hear! I've seen a lot of people saying how shadowing in itself is important, even with other experience. But I wasn't sure whether that would apply to me given 6 months and counting of scribing.