Hi all. I am currently volunteering as a domestic violence advocate in an emergency room, as well as a therapy dog handler in the in-patient psychiatric wing of a hospital. I have a prior career of significant nonprofit work as well as significant nonclinical volunteering. I have/will have 70-100h of shadowing both inpatient and outpatient, surgeons as well as primary care providers
I am starting to worry about my clinical experience after speaking to my postbacc advisor. She recommended, essentially, being a certified medical assistant or emergency room volunteer to get more serious clinical experience. My issue is that when I used to volunteer in the ER ~15 years ago, premeds did very little. At two different hospitals, I sat on my phone in the nursing station for hours and occasionally did the rounds with the snack/juice cart. It's challenging to get meaningful clinical experience when you have no serious clinical training. My current two volunteer activities are 1) in the hospital, 2) meaningful and tangibly impactful, 3) involve direct patient contact, but "felt nonclinical for some reason" to my postbacc advisor. I get what she means, but I also don't have the time/timeline to become an MA or EMT - I'm a postbacc, so my timeline is pretty compressed.
To be clear, I would love to volunteer more clinically, it's just that there aren't too many meaningful options when I have ~1.5 years to finish my portfolio.
Are shadowing/psychiatry patient therapy dog handling/ER domestic violence victim advocacy sufficient clinical experiences, or should I bite the bullet and become an ER volunteer (at the expense of some of my current volunteering) to clearly check the clinical box? I am also personally interested in volunteering with hospice patients, but I'm worried that also would not scratch the itch that my application seems to be lacking. Thank you.