clinical experience for MSI

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by flower12, Oct 29, 2002.

1. flower12

flower12 Junior Member

I completed my first year of med school last year, which included an introductory clinical medicine course. I became ill over the summer and had to take a medical leave of absence for this year. I have now recovered from my illness and I am looking into doing research part time. I would like to spend some time getting clinical experience as well--but having had only 1 year of med school, I feel like I am totally unprepared for any clinical work. I am really interested in neurology and I would love to learn more about this specialty, but I do not know how to go about doing that. I want to do more than just observe docs in action--I really want to contribute, I want to help patients, and I want to learn. I just do not know what I can do with so little medical training. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster

Attending Physician
    Neurology is something of a unique field because even with your somewhat limited knowledge of clinical medicine, you can do a lot if you know your neuroanatomy and neuroscience. If you took these courses as a first-year, I'm sure there's some neurologist at your school who's doing some clinical project where patients need to be neurologically evaluated on a daily basis. Ask around at your institution.

Interestingly enough, as a first-year with a very fresh knowledge of neuroanatomy and neuroscience, you'd probably outshine some of the more senior students on the neurologic exam. :) I'm a fourth-year and just started my neuro CLERKSHIP (third-year rotation) a couple of days ago, and am struggling to remember any neuroanatomy.

Good luck.