Clinical experience in Ann Arbor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afugazzi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I will be moving to Ann Arbor in August and I will be working part time teaching for Kaplan, but I'm also looking for a good way to get some fun, and preferably paid, clinical experience. I have already been accepted to med school and I'm deferring, so I don't care about how good it looks. I just want something where I can learn a lot. I have a year off in which to do this.

Has anyone done any volunteering or clinical work in Ann Arbor that has been really fun or educational?

Thanks!
Erin

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe try the Michigan class forum, they might have some leads, otherwise UM's website probably has some lab openings.

Ann Arbor seemed like a cool place to me, and in a college town such as it is, I'm sure you'll find something to keep you occupied. Good luck!

PS: Oh, and take vacations. That's what I did in my year off. Go places and visit friends. And make sure that your clinical or volunteering work will let you do that from time to time.

Well, I can tell you what *not* to do.

A volunteer experience at UMHS, it seems, is largely based on luck. Many of us, myself included last summer, get stuck in assignments where 95% of the time, you'll be walking around or folding laundry.
Not to mention, there are so many high schoolers and college students trying to boost their resumes they make all potential volunteers go through an application process, complete with references and an interview. This is IF you plan ahead and catch them during the two or three times a year when they're actually accepting applications.

Other hospitals nearby are the VA and St. Joseph's.. then there are plenty of nursing homes. You could also look into Domino farms. I've heard of a free clinic in Ypsilanti that you could probably google, but like most opportunities around here, the clinical exposure you get as a pre-professional and non-EMT is probably limited...

Best of luck searching though, and let me know if you find anything good!

an afterthought: if you're willing to look at non-clinical volunteering, and you like kids, I'd highly recommend this place: http://www.826michigan.org/