Clinical Experience or Volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are medical schools looking for clinical experience or volunteering? I am doing research projects which involve direct interaction with patients and their exam results (MRIs,CT scans, etc.). This is definitely clinical, but it is for research. However, I don't know whether to count this towards my total clinical hours. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You make the call... "volunteer, clinical" or "research". If you don't have much say in study design and data analysis, it might be best described as "volunteer, clinical".

There is also "employment, clinical", IIRC although it might just be "employment, non-military".

Adcoms want to know that you've been around patients and you know what doctoring is about. They also want to see that if you say you like to help people that you've actually done some helping so that's why they look for volunteer service and in some cases, non-clinical volunteering is seen as less "self-serving" because it doesn't "double count".

You make the call... "volunteer, clinical" or "research". If you don't have much say in study design and data analysis, it might be best described as "volunteer, clinical".

There is also "employment, clinical", IIRC although it might just be "employment, non-military".

Adcoms want to know that you've been around patients and you know what doctoring is about. They also want to see that if you say you like to help people that you've actually done some helping so that's why they look for volunteer service and in some cases, non-clinical volunteering is seen as less "self-serving" because it doesn't "double count".
Thank you!

I have another quick, unrelated question. In the work/activities section, can we include musical instrument practice? I don't take lessons anymore, so there's no verification, but it's been ongoing since I was 7. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!

I have another quick, unrelated question. In the work/activities section, can we include musical instrument practice? I don't take lessons anymore, so there's no verification, but it's been ongoing since I was 7. Thanks again.
Yes, you can list it as a hobby. No one verifies hobbies.

Yes, you can list it as a hobby. No one verifies hobbies.

On a related note, I was a pro musician for a couple years. I don't keep in touch with anyone I played with because of their lifestyles. It's been over 8 years so I probably couldn't reach them anyway. Should I just list it as a hobby?

Reactions: 1 user
On a related note, I was a pro musician for a couple years. I don't keep in touch with anyone I played with because of their lifestyles. It's been over 8 years so I probably couldn't reach them anyway. Should I just list it as a hobby?

List it as employment -- you were a pro. Did you have an agent or business manager? President of your fan club? (/jk) List someone who knows you did it and who isn't a relative. It shouldn't be a big deal.

List it as employment -- you were a pro. Did you have an agent or business manager? President of your fan club? (/jk) List someone who knows you did it and who isn't a relative. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Sounds good. I was my own manager but I'm sure I can list someone. I played with some cool people, but no one huge. Paid the bills though.