clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kish carlton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all
How important is clinical experience and volunteering to admissions? I am 30 yo old and had to work my way through school, which left little time for anything else...I have ~100 hrs each of volunteering and clinical experience

I have a 3.65 w/ a BS in biology...strong LOR's and personal statement...scored a 30 on the mcat

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

clinical experience is very important, volunteering is very good as well. As long as you are continuing to do both of these, 100 hours each thus far is good. Just keep doing it and you'll have nothing to worry about and plenty to talk about. It seems you already realize this considering you made the time to do both of them.

clinical experience is very important, volunteering is very good as well. As long as you are continuing to do both of these, 100 hours each thus far is good. Just keep doing it and you'll have nothing to worry about and plenty to talk about. It seems you already realize this considering you made the time to do both of them.
Thanks for the input....anyone else? it seems like every applicant has been volunteering since they were 15 and I feel so inadequate

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a big deal at all. I'm a junior and I'm starting volunteer work this summer. And only one summer after that. Not everyone can get out and build up insane amounts of resume builders. Especially while doing premed classes and trying to make some money. Just do what you can, and make sure what you do is meaningful with regard to exposure and experience.

As regards to clinical experience, does working at a doctor's office as a medical assistant would count towards that? It has first-hand contact with patients and whole treatment process. Any comments would be appreciated! :)

Yes, for sure. If you've got a position like that in premed, you're already far ahead of the pack. Volunteers like me aren't officially allowed to be involved in patient care. Many doctors are willing to bend the rules a bit, but being put with the wrong doctor can make volunteering completely worthless. And even if you do get patient care experience, it's minimal. So, ya, medical assistant is a great gig! Stick with it.