Clinical Externships??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quichita19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to graduate with an MEd in Community Mental Health Counseling in June. I'm debating about going onto a Psy D program or doing an externship in order to accrue supervised clinical experience. My main goal is to go into private practice and continue working in a direct counseling capacity. So, I'm not sure how necessary a Psy D would be in working toward that avenue. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I would appreciate it.
Also, does anyone know of any clinical externship programs and/or opportunities and how I would go about finding them? I'm currently in Seattle, WA but I'm not opposed to moving for a good opportunity.
I've done a little research and found a few programs. Has anyone heard anything about the following programs: The Ackerman Institue, The Adler School of Professional Psychology (they offer a Marriage and Family Therapy Certificate), or the University of Rochester Medical Center (they offer a Post-degree certificate program in Marriage and Family Therapy)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm about to graduate with an MEd in Community Mental Health Counseling in June. I'm debating about going onto a Psy D program or doing an externship in order to accrue supervised clinical experience. My main goal is to go into private practice and continue working in a direct counseling capacity. So, I'm not sure how necessary a Psy D would be in working toward that avenue. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I would appreciate it.
Also, does anyone know of any clinical externship programs and/or opportunities and how I would go about finding them? I'm currently in Seattle, WA but I'm not opposed to moving for a good opportunity.
I've done a little research and found a few programs. Has anyone heard anything about the following programs: The Ackerman Institue, The Adler School of Professional Psychology (they offer a Marriage and Family Therapy Certificate), or the University of Rochester Medical Center (they offer a Post-degree certificate program in Marriage and Family Therapy)? Thanks!

From what I understand from talking with people, you really do not need a doctoral degree if you just want to practice. However, you do need a doctoral, if you want to also do research. I am myself very interested in PhD option. I just bought a book about getting into Phd/PsyD programs in Psychology, and will be reading it to see what is the best strategy. I think that would be a good place to begin... Do you know if any of our work from MHC program will get counted toward our PhD?

From what I understand from talking with people, you really do not need a doctoral degree if you just want to practice. However, you do need a doctoral, if you want to also do research. I am myself very interested in PhD option. I just bought a book about getting into Phd/PsyD programs in Psychology, and will be reading it to see what is the best strategy. I think that would be a good place to begin... Do you know if any of our work from MHC program will get counted toward our PhD?

That's what I am trying to figure out! Whether any will count to the PhD or not... but I haven't found many answers yet. From what I've understood which may be completely wrong, is that MHC master's may have SOME courses that count towards a COUNSELING PhD program. And it depends on the school, so no way of knowing for sure.

About getting a PsyD, if you just want to open up a practice, I'd say go for it. So many people in my MHC classes now are doing just that. I mean you will probably have to start at a center or rehab clinic first to gain some hours and client experience before starting out on your own, and getting a private practice is like starting a business - so I'd think business classes would be much more practical than MFT classes. My program offers two tracks: MHC and MFT. You don't need MFT to be a MHC counselor, and the other way around. Unless you want both... but I heard have MSW in social work actually has more job availabilities. You can also instead try and get more continuing ed experience by getting a specialty that might help with gaining a client base - i was thinking Sex Therapy, there are so many online courses available to get certification. That goes for other specialties too, like Domestic Violence, Substance Abuse, etc.

But the only reason to get a PsyD would be if you want to do research too or teach or if you want a bigger paycheck and to have Dr. in front of your name, none of those being bad things of course! But I'd say start out doing what you can and go back for more school if needed or if you want to.