PhD/PsyD Clinical PhD with better admissions odds, especially for those with lower GREs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As many of you know, since I have been around forever, I am the DCT for Mississippi State University's clinical psychology program. We are still a fairly new program, started in 2014 and accredited in 2016, so a lot of folks still do not know about us. Because of that I thought I would post here in case any of you may be looking for one more clinical PhD program to send an application.

We only had 65 applicants last year, which is lower than just about any funded, accredited clinical psychology program. Here are our full disclosure data: https://www.psychology.msstate.edu/files/MSUClinicalStudentOutcomes.pdf. Thus, from the outset your odds are better just because we don't get hundreds of applications.

Additionally, for the first time we are going to rate applications blind to the GRE this year. We are still requiring the GRE since this year is a pilot, but our hope is that rating applications without the GREs will help us increase our program diversity, as the GRE has been shown to be biased against several diverse groups, while also making sure that one day of testing doesn't impact our impression of you as a whole. Thus, if you are a strong applicant who, for whatever reason, didn't have the GRE go well for you I strongly encourage you to apply.

Here is a link to the program's website: Clinical Psychology Program

The vast majority of our faculty are reviewing applications this year, but we especially need applicants who are interested in:

Geropsychology and geriatric hoarding for Dr. Mary Dozier: Mary Dozier
Parenting and psychological problems with Dr. Cliff McKinney: Cliff McKinney
Custodial grandparents (grandparents who are the primary caregiver of their grandkids) and grandchildren with Dr. Danielle Nadorff: Danielle Nadorff
Cognitive biases in depression and anxiety and anhedonia with Dr. E. Samuel Winer: Sam Winer

Please let me know if you have any questions about our program, and thank you for considering us!!!

Michael

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone,

As many of you know, since I have been around forever, I am the DCT for Mississippi State University's clinical psychology program. We are still a fairly new program, started in 2014 and accredited in 2016, so a lot of folks still do not know about us. Because of that I thought I would post here in case any of you may be looking for one more clinical PhD program to send an application.

We only had 65 applicants last year, which is lower than just about any funded, accredited clinical psychology program. Here are our full disclosure data: https://www.psychology.msstate.edu/files/MSUClinicalStudentOutcomes.pdf. Thus, from the outset your odds are better just because we don't get hundreds of applications.

Additionally, for the first time we are going to rate applications blind to the GRE this year. We are still requiring the GRE since this year is a pilot, but our hope is that rating applications without the GREs will help us increase our program diversity, as the GRE has been shown to be biased against several diverse groups, while also making sure that one day of testing doesn't impact our impression of you as a whole. Thus, if you are a strong applicant who, for whatever reason, didn't have the GRE go well for you I strongly encourage you to apply.

The vast majority of our faculty are reviewing applications this year, but we especially need applicants who are interested in:

Custodial grandparents (grandparents who are the primary caregiver of their grandkids) and grandchildren with Dr. Danielle Nadorff: Danielle Nadorff
Cognitive biases in depression and anxiety and anhedonia with Dr. E. Samuel Winer: Sam Winer

Please let me know if you have any questions about our program, and thank you for considering us!!!

Michael

Where were you back in the day when I had applied for a program? Bravo and hats off to you. Many graduate programs, in general, are taking this approach, where some, like MIT and Yale, have completely omitted the GRE requirement for some of their programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Michael, you may want to consider posting this on GradCafe as well, as it seems like there are (possibly) more pre-PhD applicants over there. They'd probably appreciate this information a lot! Two of these faculty were almost a fit for me - bummed they aren't more aligned with my interests!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Michael, you may want to consider posting this on GradCafe as well, as it seems like there are (possibly) more pre-PhD applicants over there. They'd probably appreciate this information a lot! Two of these faculty were almost a fit for me - bummed they aren't more aligned with my interests!

Great idea, I will definitely post over there as well. Thank you for the suggestion!

While I didn't attend the program, I can say that it was one of the smoothest interview days I attended. I didn't find the faculty intimidating and the current doctoral students were easy to converse with.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

Michael
Best wishes to you and your program...you seem to have all your 'I's dotted, and your 'T's crossed...which is no small accomplishment for those seeking APA accreditation. Wishing you all the best (from Central Louisiana)!