Clinical Psych PhD and Research in Intimate Relationships/Positive Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bebex12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This fall will be my second time applying for Clinical PhD programs. I'm looking for a research oriented program (of course, the most competitive). Regardless, research is what I aspire to do. Specifically, I am interested in pursuing the study of intimate relationships and positive psychology (especially the interaction of these two domains). I believe that one of my problems in the last application cycle was that I stretched some POI's research interests a little too far, meaning that our interests weren't as strong a match as they should be. There were several POI's who I did feel a strong match with, such as POI's at George Mason U, UNC-Chapel Hill, and SUNY Stony Brook.

Can anyone offer some input as to other programs in which POI's primarily research either intimate relationships, positive psychology, or particularly an interaction of the two? I greatly appreciate your insight! :)

Members don't see this ad.

This fall will be my second time applying for Clinical PhD programs. I'm looking for a research oriented program (of course, the most competitive). Regardless, research is what I aspire to do. Specifically, I am interested in pursuing the study of intimate relationships and positive psychology (especially the interaction of these two domains). I believe that one of my problems in the last application cycle was that I stretched some POI's research interests a little too far, meaning that our interests weren't as strong a match as they should be. There were several POI's who I did feel a strong match with, such as POI's at George Mason U, UNC-Chapel Hill, and SUNY Stony Brook.

Can anyone offer some input as to other programs in which POI's primarily research either intimate relationships, positive psychology, or particularly an interaction of the two? I greatly appreciate your insight! :)

This is a great place to start your search

http://abctcouples.org/

Wouldn't that be social psych? I'm no expert at all, but I'm curious

Members don't see this ad :)
Srabiee, you are correct. Technically, my interests are mostly within the social psych field. However, I want to experience a broad training rather than limiting myself by pursuing social psych. Also, as I stated, my career goal is research and I want a scientific background to pursue that. My secondary research interests are in studying stress and drug addiction. So basically, I chose to apply to Clinical programs so that I can keep my options open; though you raise a good point and I may consider applying to some social psych programs this time around.

Thank you for the site Marissa! I'll be sure to check it out.

Wow Marissa, this list is incredible. Thank you so much!

Have you spent much time researching matches? Berkeley should be on your list.

Benjamin Karney and Thomas Bradbury at UCLA

I have spent a great deal of time researching matches; still it is difficult to cover every program. Last time I applied I focused mostly on schools that I thought I'd like to go to, or places I'd like to live as opposed to who is truly the strongest match. I live on the east coast so I eliminated anywhere too far away. This time I plan to broaden my search. I recently looked into the program at UCLA and found Thomas Bradbury, who I feel is certainly a strong match for me. I did not look into Berkeley yet, but I will be sure to do so. Thank you!

Which area are you most interested: intimate partners or positive psychology? If you wish to pursue clinical psych, I suspect that it's going to be easier to find something in the former rather than the latter (or even an overlap between the two). You can always propose your research to look at intimate relationships using concepts from positive psychology once you are admitted to the program. I second the recommendations to check out social psych programs, but also keep in mind that some clinical psych programs allow you to collaborate across depts/divisions. So, if the psych dept houses both a social & clinical program, then you may be able to propose working with profs across these areas (as long as there are profs who have interests in those areas obviously). It happens.

G'luck!

I am more interested in studying intimate relationships. Like you proposed, my foremost interest is integrating principles of positive psychology in couples therapy or relational issues. I spoke to one program who mentioned crossing divisions. However, I feel that it may put me at somewhat of a disadvantage that my interests are not really hard clinical topics. Thank you for your input!

I am more interested in studying intimate relationships. Like you proposed, my foremost interest is integrating principles of positive psychology in couples therapy or relational issues. I spoke to one program who mentioned crossing divisions. However, I feel that it may put me at somewhat of a disadvantage that my interests are not really hard clinical topics. Thank you for your input!

If you frame it in intimate relationships (and you also are interested in couples therapy, which is not completely out in left-field with "intimate relationships" ;)), then I think you will be fine. Your personal statement will be vital here.

There are clinical programs that investigate intimate partner relationships, so you just need to do the legwork to find them (and the ones that are most appropriate for your particular interests). You also may want to check out counseling psych programs if you've not already. You can find some relationship/couples counseling stuff there, and they may be even more amenable to the positive psych integration (although this is obviously going to vary by dept/prof--and I would possibly still consider waiting to address it until after admitted UNLESS someone in the program already had an established background in positive psych).