Clinical Psychology and the future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMode

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are everyone's plans (I'm talking about people pursuing clinical psychology, obviously) considering the recently discussed state of affairs, i.e., competition with master's level counselors, therapists, and social workers? How many plan to stick with it?

Any ideas on the prospects for academia and research?

What are some ideas out there for alternatives, if any are needed at all? I am fishing for more solipsistic, idiosyncratic answers as opposed to a link to a url. I want to hear about what people's own thoughts and experiences.

I have been toying with other possible careers that would not be too much of a stretch. I have not applied to clinical programs yet. Most likely I will, but I am also considering other possibilities. I've even considered an MSW and an LCSW but quite frankly that doesn't appeal to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I've been considering getting a PhD in school psychology with hopes to open a private practice treating children and adolecents in the future. There's such a shortage of school psych's right now and I love education. Although, I don't know how safe it is to be working in schools these days??? That's one thing that worries me. I've also thought about social work and counseling, but those don't appeal to me either.

I'm third year clinical and plan to pursue RxP.

Members don't see this ad :)
edieb said:
I'm third year clinical and plan to pursue RxP.

Drop out and go to medical school. As a psychologist with RxP, you'll be limited to practicing in one of two states and have to be a second-class prescriber.

I see this kind of response alot, and I think alot of MD types think we want to become physicians by getting RxP, and this is nowhere near the truth. Second class prescriber is fine, as long as we can maintain a niche in the field. Nobody thinks we want to be clinically equal with MD's in medicine, and I can guarantee we do not want to Dx all those nasty things you Non-psych physicians do!!! :)

I am a second year clinical psych. (PsyD) student with a Masters in MHC who is planning on pursuing a career in either Forensics or Neuropsychology. I am also determined to pursue RxP and I believe that by the time I graduate with my PsyD it will be already in place in Florida and several other states.

I am also not interested in becoming a medical doctor but a psychologist with rights to prescribe medication/Assess & evaluate/provide psychotherapy who can help my clients/patients who suffer from mental illness.

Applying to clinical programs this year with plans for academia/research. No interest in the headaches that come along with managed care. Prescription privileges also hold no interest to me. I prefer to stay behind the scenes....plus I love school so much that I think I would enjoy being on the other side of the classroom for a change.

Due to the competitive nature of such programs I also have plans to apply to several developmental schools (none that overall with my clinical choices) since my focus in clinical was to be on the developmental side of things.

Do I see the future of academia/research changing? I personally do not think so....I really don't feel that there is any competition from non PhD holders for those university, and while others have pointed out that it can happen it is really not the norm.

Right now applying to clinical programs. Planning to go into neuropsychology, specifically pediatric neuropsych. Would eventually like to practice and/or teach. Though I have considered school psych instead for the economic incentives.

Specifically what economic incentives sanman?? Starting salaries or....???
I am just curious b/c a friend with a master sis a school psychologist and has a salary of 90K in California..been there about 25 yrs though.

Comparing PhD's... The school psychologists have a higher average salary, that increases over clinical as time progesses. They also have a substantially lower rate of debt when they graduate. It is easier to get into a program. The job market is booming right now due to a shortage, and they aren't in the precarious position of competing with others for jobs in an uncertain managed care market.

twiggers said:
Specifically what economic incentives sanman?? Starting salaries or....???
I am just curious b/c a friend with a master sis a school psychologist and has a salary of 90K in California..been there about 25 yrs though.

Where in CA does your friend live? ;)

Central Valley...specifically Modesto, CA about 1 hour south of Sacramento. Due to budget cuts they have offered him a retirement buyout (about 2-3 years earlier than he planned)..apparently so they can hire someone young and pay less....sooo typical. But he's not complaining...made good money and gets to retire early.

School psych is a great option, but keep in mind it is not clinical psych! The money is good, but the job is all psycho-ed assessment.

:)

California starting salaries are great, but keep in mind that sometimes those positions are unionized. I was in the same union as the garbage technicians, so obviously they had different priorities than I did. There are good and bad things about unions. However, I was never paid more than when I was in a union. I also didn't work any overtime.

Also, the cost of living in Cali is enormous. You can easily make 90k and struggle, especially if you have student loans. I don't know about the Central Valley and all of that, except it's blasted hot.

Cali schools are a disaster area. I just heard that some schools in the Bay Area were giving extra credit for students who brought school supplies for others. Additionally, there are specific laws based out of case law that restrict which assessment tools you can use with which populations.

If you're bilingual you have it made, though.