Clinical? Regular work experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

figmentj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked for a year at a hospital on the physicians' answering service/PBX. Mainly hearing patients' concerns, determining whether their case was urgent enough to page the physician, announcing codes, that sort of thing.

I didn't interact with patients face-to-face, so I'm not sure what category this falls in. Thanks for any opinions. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a regular office job really. You didn't have any pt contact so I don't think you can call it clinical. Good luck either way though. I'm sure you got to hear some meaningful and interesting stories & cases!

You can certainly classify it as "employement, non-military" and let the adcom sort it out. You did have patient contact although it was on the telephone and you were making value judgments in determining whether to page a physician. I would hope that you have had other clinical experiences to augment the job. If so, I'd say you are good to go.