Clinical research and peds cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

personal jesus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious to hear anyone's opinion about the potential for a career in translational research as a pediatric cardiologist. I know that there are plenty of opportunities in basic research for congenital heart disease. Will this research be applied to improving the lives of kids with heart disease? I am curious because adult cards has plenty of avenues for clinical/translational research but Id rather spending my career working with kids. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting that you say there are many opportunities for basic science research in pedi cardiology. I keep seeing a great deal of clinical and translational research without a lot of support for basic science. What places are you looking for residencies and fellowships. Just curious....

There's lots of clinical research in Pedi Cards out there. I spent some time reviewing material for a proposal (in pedi cards) and there were plenty of studies to pull from.

Members don't see this ad :)
I probably should have titled this thread translational research rather than clinical research. I know that there is alot of clinical studies following various populations. However, I am more interested in research taking basic science ideas and applying them to clinical medicine. Since peds cards is primarly structural problems it seems, at least to me, that most of the advance in the field have to come from either surgery or interventional cards. How about the future potential to find new medical treatments for congential heart disease.

Translational research in cards in general is becoming huge. There was a recent article (this month?) in Nature Medicine regarding the genetic changes in heart failure, which will probably be huge in the years to come for new treatments of heart failure in both kids and adults. You should check it out. There also is a lot of research into the genetic programming of congenital heart disease.

Programs that I remember specifically from resident interviews and from talking to my colleagues since then have indicated that several programs have great translational researchers in their peds cards divisions....including Boston Children's, CHOP, Baylor, U Chicago, UCSF, and Wash U. I am sure there are more. I would go to the division websites for these places and look up the faculty list to see their research interests.

Here are a few websites I remember coming across as an applicant...

http://www.cardiogenetics.org/default.asp

http://cardiogenomics.med.harvard.edu/home

http://pediatrics.uchicago.edu/genetics.aspx

and in this site, look especially at this guy's research (Ivan Moskowitz...http://pediatrics.uchicago.edu/SectionFacultyDetail.aspx?ID=2272&section=1060)

http://www.bcm.edu/pediatrics/index...m_Name=Cardiology&This_Template=pedi_home.cfm

And I can't find the website, but Patrick Jay at Wash U does mouse models of cardiomyopathy.

So lots and lots of stuff going on in the field.

I probably should have titled this thread translational research rather than clinical research. I know that there is alot of clinical studies following various populations. However, I am more interested in research taking basic science ideas and applying them to clinical medicine. Since peds cards is primarly structural problems it seems, at least to me, that most of the advance in the field have to come from either surgery or interventional cards. How about the future potential to find new medical treatments for congential heart disease.

Research in pedi cards truly cuts across every spectrum of research. I think we tend to get caught up in the TERMS "translational" "clinical" "basic science" too much.

Traditionally, pedi cards research was focused on animal models of fetal and perinatal physiology, as reflected by the classic work by Rudolph and Tooley and many others at CVRI in San Francisco.

More recently, there has been a shift in focus to the work described by Scholes that is more basic in nature, but still patient focused.

There is also a good bit of research being done into more "technology" or "engineering" aspects of pedi cardiology that is largely paralleling the type of work done in adults on improving stents, etc.

Lots of research into outcomes, epidemiology and clinical protocols as well. Unlike neonatologists, pedi cardiologists occasionally disagree about management strategies.:p As such, improving medical management of congenital heart disease (perhaps especially as related to rhythm disturbances which are very common) is a key area of research.

Bottom line, you can do any type of research in pedi cards, whatever name you wish to put to it. There is a huge need for academic pedi cardiologists willing to commit to an academic research career. These are tremendous folks and I admire them greatly.

I'll second oldbearprofessor's response. I'm currently interviewing for Peds Cards fellowships and one thing that has come up in multiple interviews is that there are a bunch of people doing clinical research, but definitely not as many people doing basic science research that can be transferred over to the clinical arena. If you want to do that type of research, I think you'll definitely be in a good position going into fellowship, and I don't think you'll have a problem finding a good spot to start your research.