Clinical Research Year - HHMI Equivalent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blackhawk101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering doing a research year between third and fourth year (currently an MS3). I know about HHMI/Doris Duke/Sarnoff/CRTP.

It sounds like Doris Duke has limited the amount of grants it offers to medical students to be mainly of the international type now.

I was wondering if anyone knew of national grants that are offered to students who want to do clinical research for a year. Like the HHMI equivalent for clinical research.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They don't exist. Rarely, one of these classic programs fund translational research. But the thrust for funneling research dollars towards medical students is to generate physician scientists, in basic science.

Clinical research funding is more attainable on a PI basis. Know your stats well and have some record of completing projects to publication. A young PI with a database, or ongoing trial might pick you up and deposit $25k in your account.

For good measure, here's a list of year out funding. Ignore Penn opportunities unless you're a Penner. Could be that AOA or someone might fund you. It's easier to get these things if you upsell your project. There's a level of grantsmanship involved.

Year Out Opportunities | Research & Fellowship Opportunities for Penn Med Students | Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania

Reactions: 1 user