Clinical Rotation from Hell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byfellox

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone just wanted to share a pretty horrific experience I am going through right in hopes it helps someone else who gets into this type of situation during their rotations. From the beginning of my rotation, it was communicated to me by some of the residents that they didn't like my personality and that I came off too strong and eager in my interactions with them with one resident describing it as " being too sure of myself," whatever that means. I tried turning down my enthusiasm and to appear more stupid by just shutting up most of the time going forward. When I thought I was making progress, I got COVID while rotating and inadvertently possibly passed it to others as I waited 2 days before getting tested as my symptoms were extremely mild and I didn't think I had Covid nor did I want to miss days off my rotation which I then would have to make up, and that pretty much labeled me a pariah in that location. Interestingly enough no one ever mentioned how my health was doing considering were all supposed to be empathic health care workers, but whatever. So between attendings/residents taking turns yelling at me and saying they considered failing me for this rotation to being passively shunned from seeing patients with the residents, I was told to sit in a back office "due to covid protocols." Safe to say this is one of the worse experiences I've ever had as a human being tbh. I am not writing this for any sympathy, just if anyone gets into a similar type of situation just know that the best course of action is just to apologize when confronted, shut up, and run with it. Explaining yourself, justifying why/when/how/who doesn't help and just antagonizes the other sides. Hope someone can benefit from this experience.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Wait, did you get covid and still showed up to work without quarantining?

Reactions: 9 users
The great part of applying to residency is that pending you have good boards you can avoid ending up in places like this for 3-7 years. There are residencies that simply are filled with miserable people. However that being said the amount of times I've met extremely awkward 3rd and 4th year students who just don't take a hint is pretty high.

Just be chill and do your job. Show your excitement with people who want to be excited. Try to not turn rounds into a me-fest.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1641251753577.jpeg

Edit: Do not be that guy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Wait, did you get covid and still showed up to work without quarantining?
Quarantined immediately after got a + result, what set the team off is that all of them had to go get tested for COVID as well.

Reactions: 2 users
The great part of applying to residency is that pending you have good boards you can avoid ending up in places like this for 3-7 years. There are residencies that simply are filled with miserable people. However that being said the amount of times I've met extremely awkward 3rd and 4th year students who just don't take a hint is pretty high.

Just be chill and do your job. Show your excitement with people who want to be excited. Try to not turn rounds into a me-fest.
Show your excitement to those who want to be excited is definitely where I went wrong here and ill definitely start off as a ****** until I can sense someone wants the enthusiasm going forward.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user

The problem here may lie with OP's action/behaviors or it may be the program, not enough information or possible biased information came from him/her. Was he/she a jerk, know-it-all, etc? We have one side of the story and tbh, your assessment that "places like this" or "residencies are filled with miserable people"may or may not be true in this matter....it may simply lie with the OP who like all, needs to self-reflect.

I implore everyone that will be going through clinical rotations to prepare and read up on how best to behave/impress during their rotation.

This is tough but it sounds like you have good intentions. It sounds like either you're overly enthusiastic (annoying) or the people are truly miserable. Take perspective of the people on each of your rotations and try to get a sense of what their "vibe" is so that you can try to mimic that. I've had some rotations that are very chill and down to earth, while other ones are a little more serious/pretentious. I would get HPs regardless because I just mimicked the way I interpreted their vibe.

Reading your post though, I really do lean toward these people just being miserable and taking it out on you. I would just try to make it through the rotation, brush it off, and continue doing your best.

When I thought I was making progress, I got COVID while rotating and inadvertently possibly passed it to others as I waited 2 days before getting tested as my symptoms were extremely mild and I didn't think I had Covid nor did I want to miss days off my rotation which I then would have to make up, and that pretty much labeled me a pariah in that location.

Dude, are you kidding me??? If you were my student, that would have been an immediate professionalism and judgment strike. Immediate. Not only did you put your colleagues at risk, you put patients at risk. I might have even failed you for that.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 19 users
Quarantined immediately after got a + result, what set the team off is that all of them had to go get tested for COVID as well.

Which could have been avoided had you immediately called in/gone home when you felt ill. But you didn't want to make up the time. While your symptoms were mild, you know Covid can result in mild symptoms and that any symptom should be taken seriously. Your colleagues may have been in a high risk category or their loved ones might have been high risk. You didn't say anything for 2 days after onset of symptoms. You didn't even test for 2 days. That's selfish.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 15 users
The problem here may lie with OP's action/behaviors or it may be the program, not enough information or possible biased information came from him/her. Was he/she a jerk, know-it-all, etc? We have one side of the story and tbh, your assessment that "places like this" or "residencies are filled with miserable people"may or may not be true in this matter....it may simply lie with the OP who like all, needs to self-reflect.

I implore everyone that will be going through clinical rotations to prepare and read up on how best to behave/impress during their rotation.

This is tough but it sounds like you have good intentions. It sounds like either you're overly enthusiastic (annoying) or the people are truly miserable. Take perspective of the people on each of your rotations and try to get a sense of what their "vibe" is so that you can try to mimic that. I've had some rotations that are very chill and down to earth, while other ones are a little more serious/pretentious. I would get HPs regardless because I just mimicked the way I interpreted their vibe.

Reading your post though, I really do lean toward these people just being miserable and taking it out on you. I would just try to make it through the rotation, brush it off, and continue doing your best.

I disagree with both takes. In case there are other impressionable students reading here, I can tell you straight-up what the poster did wrong -- you don't show up to work with Covid symptoms and hope that no one notices.

Yes all the stuff about being overly enthusiastic sounds like BS and if that was the only thing the OP was complaining about, I'd agree. But this rotation went south primarily because of the OP's lapse in judgment on a pretty major issue that, aside from the health risks, puts the hospital at risk as well if patients catch Covid from their medical student.

Reactions: 10 users
I disagree with both takes. In case there are other impressionable students reading here, I can tell you straight-up what the poster did wrong -- you don't show up to work with Covid symptoms and hope that no one notices.

Yes all the stuff about being overly enthusiastic sounds like BS and if that was the only thing the OP was complaining about, I'd agree. But this rotation went south primarily because of the OP's lapse in judgment on a pretty major issue that, aside from the health risks, puts the hospital at risk as well if patients catch Covid from their medical student.

I read his post again and it sounds like he was already getting the shaft before this happened. I agree with your COVID feelings though, that is a phenomenal ****up.

I read his post again and it sounds like he was already getting the shaft before this happened. I agree with your COVID feelings though, that is a phenomenal ****up.

He was being critiqued certainly and I do think that was BS. But there's just no excuse for the Covid error. That was a monumental thing that very easily could have led to many more consequences for the poster. I'm disturbed by the lack of insight in the original post about how big a deal that was.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, are you kidding me??? If you were my student, that would have been an immediate professionalism and judgment strike. Immediate. Not only did you put your colleagues at risk, you put patients at risk. I might have even failed you for that.
Glad im not the only one who caught that. There is nothing okay about showing up to work sick. Im not even allowed to be at work with symptoms without a negative test. Why should a med student get to think they’re above the same rules?

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Yeah don’t really have sympathy for OP here with the covid mess. I’m legit surprised the attendings didn’t fail them. It’s not a “rotation from hell” by any stretch of imagination.

Reactions: 10 users
The pre-covid issue you were having could go either way. Maybe all of the residents are overworked/jerks/etc. Maybe you are overeager and annoying. Learning to read the room is probably the most important skill you can have on rotations. Some attendings/residents like it when you speak up, ask a lot of questions, offer input, etc. Others want you to lay low. I think most people are pretty good at this, but we have all met someone on a rotation who was totally oblivious on how to act during the rotation. It's okay to be enthusiastic and interested, but you can definitely cross the line IMO.

That aside, exposing your residents/attendings to Covid because you didn't want to risk making up days (your words) is both extremely selfish and poor judgement as said above. That alone would warrant failing a rotation IMO. You put your own desire to avoid being inconvenienced above the health and safety of everyone else around you. I wouldn't want to be around you after that, either.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Which could have been avoided had you immediately called in/gone home when you felt ill. But you didn't want to make up the time. While your symptoms were mild, you know Covid can result in mild symptoms and that any symptom should be taken seriously. Your colleagues may have been in a high risk category or their loved ones might have been high risk. You didn't say anything for 2 days after onset of symptoms. You didn't even test for 2 days. That's selfish.

Honestly i'll give him some slack here. If he just was sneezing a bit more than usual I don't know if he'd really have had a lot of information to scream I have covid. If he had a fever or was obviously sick then absolutely.

Like there are times where I'm like do I have covid or is it just me wearing a mask all day long and needing to just get my deviated septum fixed lol.

But also omnicron is really a strange duck. I won't be surprised if we go towards bimonthly testing. Community spread right now is high enough that I fully believe we'll all get it by the end of winter.

Honestly i'll give him some slack here. If he just was sneezing a bit more than usual I don't know if he'd really have had a lot of information to scream I have covid. If he had a fever or was obviously sick then absolutely.

Like there are times where I'm like do I have covid or is it just me wearing a mask all day long and needing to just get my deviated septum fixed lol.

But also omnicron is really a strange duck. I won't be surprised if we go towards bimonthly testing. Community spread right now is high enough that I fully believe we'll all get it by the end of winter.

I'm sorry no. When you have symptoms, you don't just not say anything and hope no one notices, especially when you're seeing patients. Plus, he even admits part of the reason he didn't say anything is because he knew he'd be sent home and didn't want to make up the time. There's no excuse for selfishness.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 11 users
I'm sorry no. When you have symptoms, you don't just not say anything and hope no one notices, especially when you're seeing patients. Plus, he even admits part of the reason he didn't say anything is because he knew he'd be sent home and didn't want to make up the time. There's no excuse for selfishness.
If they went out of their way to be malicious and avoid getting tested because they didn't want to test positive then yes, that absolutely is screwed up.

But I'm going to assume they had at most a runny nose or maybe just felt tired and had no concept that they even might have covid due to most boosted folks having light symptoms.

Reactions: 5 users

If you read my post, it was addressing the person who responded by trying to imply it may be the program's fault with miserable people, etc and fact that the OP needs some self-reflection with respect to why he may not have been liked...attitude, possibly a jerk. My post did not delve into the Covid aspect, which you are right on, but nonetheless, I did not address, so not quite sure what you are disagreeing with?

If they went out of their way to be malicious and avoid getting tested because they didn't want to test positive then yes, that absolutely is screwed up.

But I'm going to assume they had at most a runny nose or maybe just felt tired and had no concept that they even might have covid due to most boosted folks having light symptoms.
These days tons of hospitals/schools have free testing with same or next day results, there's no excuse.

I mean, it's nice that you want to give the benefit of the doubt. I take the OP at his word that part of the reason he didn't speak up is that he didn't want to make up days. To me that implies malice, even everything else being true. Showing up to work with a runny nose and the thought occurring to you "hey maybe I should get tested? Naw man, they'll just make me make up the days if I test positive" is malicious.

If you read my post, it was addressing the person who responded by trying to imply it may be the program's fault with miserable people, etc and fact that the OP needs some self-reflection with respect to why he may not have been liked...attitude, possibly a jerk. My post did not delve into the Covid aspect, which you are right on, but nonetheless, I did not address, so not quite sure what you are disagreeing with?

I was disagreeing with this: "The problem here may lie with OP's action/behaviors or it may be the program, not enough information"

Under the circumstances the OP has laid out, it's very clear what the problem was at least after he got sick. It doesn't account for what happened before the Covid infection, but I'd suggest anyone who would go to work with acute Covid symptoms and not be tested for 2 days because of fear of making up the time and acting like that's no big deal likely has little insight into his own behavior and professional deficiencies.

I agree with your overall point of self-reflection being vital here.

I mean, it's nice that you want to give the benefit of the doubt. I take the OP at his word that part of the reason he didn't speak up is that he didn't want to make up days. To me that implies malice, even everything else being true. Showing up to work with a runny nose and the thought occurring to you "hey maybe I should get tested? Naw man, they'll just make me make up the days if I test positive" is malicious.
While berating someone for their actions could be useful, labeling their character as malice/malicious is not useful and not conducive to encouraging positive changes.

Dr. Celty pointed out that it can be difficult to ascertain what constitutes actionable covid-19 symptoms. I agree. I had a bit of a headache myself for a few hours two days ago, it resolved. I had more phlegm than usual yesterday morning, returned to normal today.

It is possible to be compassionate towards the potential/actual victims of OP's actions and also towards OP themselves, who is an anxious medical student trying to make the right choices.

• Okay...
While berating someone for their actions could be useful, labeling their character as malice/malicious is not useful and not conducive to encouraging positive changes.

Dr. Celty pointed out that it can be difficult to ascertain what constitutes actionable covid-19 symptoms. I agree. I had a bit of a headache myself for a few hours two days ago, it resolved. I had more phlegm than usual yesterday morning, returned to normal today.

It is possible to be compassionate towards the potential/actual victims of OP's actions and also towards OP themselves, who is an anxious medical student trying to make the right choices.
Buddy. A COVID test is readily available and easily accessible to those in healthcare. It literally takes 5 minutes for most of us to get one with immediate results to <24 hrs

I have found that when a med student gets an overconfident label, it is usually accurate

• Haha
This whole post got malicious pretty quickly.

The best advice I can give OP is this: learn from your mistakes, and hope you do not fail. As long as you do not fail, everything will be right with the world in the end.

• Love
This is the internet. No one is encouraging positive changes.
This is the internet, yet plenty of users on here advise each other appropriately and positively

Those who don't might get called out

• Dislike
Buddy. A COVID test is readily available and easily accessible to those in healthcare. It literally takes 5 minutes for most of us to get one with immediate results to <24 hrs
Sometimes it just doesn't click for a stressed out medical student. My position is that it's wrong to characterize OP as malicious.

• Dislike
Where I am, it takes about 48 hours to get a PCR test back.

I was at work last week, had onset of body aches about 2 hours into work, after about another 2 hours convinced myself to get Covid/flu tested and sure enough I had Covid. I never had any other symptoms and my body aches resolved within 4 hours of onset after taking motrin.

But if I had a patient tell me he/she had body aches for 2 hours, I’d probably give them ibuprofen and tell them to come back if any more symptoms develop. Our Covid testing pathway typically requires people to have 2 symptoms to get tested, so I didn’t even meet my institutions own clinical criteria.

The point is that shaming people for not going and getting tested if they don’t have obvious symptoms, especially with omicron, is harsh and unnecessary. If you had a sore throat and cough and came to work for 2 days, yes, that’s not okay. But more subtle symptoms like feeling a little stuffy with a recent temperature drop outside probably wouldn’t convince me to test someone, but now with omicron could be the only thing someone can show they are infected. Which means that person now has to be absent from work for 2 days while they wait for a test result.

As a medical department head, the bosses come running to me when I send every single person home for COVID isolation without any critical thinking. So there’s a balance of trying to figure out who needs testing, and omicron has really made that more difficult due to the mild presentation of it. It’s easy to sit back as a medical student or resident and say “test everyone!” But when you are in charge of the amount of people coming to work, you gain a different perspective and learn to take that next step of understanding how your testing strategy affects more than just the individual patient. If I send 100 people home for 48 hours to get tested and 98% of those tests come back negative, I’m going to get yelled at for creating a staff shortage for 2 days because of my poor clinical skills to recognize who actually needed testing.

Now, the flip side of that is Tuesday I saw 150 acute care patients with either uri or GI symptoms and just decided to test all of them and 120 of them just came back positive…so omicron has really challenged our testing strategy and clearly shows we aren’t testing enough to capture people spreading. Prior to omicron, I’d test about 20-30 people a day and get 1 positive…which showed we were testing a good enough amount to capture spread.

Last edited:
My position is that it's wrong to characterize OP as malicious.
Agreed. @Hippocrates II probably nailed it with "overeager and annoying."

We've all been in situations where it feels like we can't win, and I can see positive COVID test as being the final straw for the rest of the team. Based on what the OP wrote at the start of this thread, he seems to have limited insight into how he contributed to his own problems. But I will give him credit for trying to dispense some advice to his fellow students.

Damn, some of yall are plain mean. The OP posted her to vent, not get beaten down. If I had to get a covid test for every sniffle I have, I'd be getting swabbed every. single. day. lighten up

• Dislike
Damn, some of yall are plain mean. The OP posted her to vent, not get beaten down. If I had to get a covid test for every sniffle I have, I'd be getting swabbed every. single. day. lighten up
Sounds like you need to see a doctor. I've seen techs, nurses and what not coughing, their masks below their nose, not wearing proper PPE. Let's keep our standards high as medical students and doctors.

It is also what OP wrote at the begining of their post that is the problem from my perspective as someone who is currently on clinical rotation.

Successful people always have two things on their lips: 1) Silence. 2) A smile.

The COVID thing was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Learn from it and move on.

I’ll never understand why people are minimizing the severity of the covid issue

Because it may not have been as big of an issue as you are making it out to be? It’s not the patients (OP’s) fault if they did not recognize their mild symptom as being Covid right away.

Omicron has changed the game where literally anything, no matter how mild, could be Covid, read my above post.

We need to move away from blaming patients, it’s toxic and has no place in medicine.

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
Because it may not have been as big of an issue as you are making it out to be? It’s not the patients (OP’s) fault if they did not recognize their mild symptom as being Covid right away.

Omicron has changed the game where literally anything, no matter how mild, could be Covid, read my above post.
It is a big issue. Omicron didn’t change anything. The protocols are in place since the original coronavirus broke out in 2019-20. OP’s careless actions that didn’t look like a genuine mistake based on their own wordings endangered patients, the medical team and staff. Of course OP should be severely condemned

• Love
We need to move away from blaming patients, it’s toxic and has no place in medicine.
Dude stop portraying the OP as a victim. The real affected victims are literally the patients themselves who had the tragic misfortune of meeting OP who couldn’t be bothered to take time off despite showing symptoms since OP didn’t want to make up for lost time. The medical team and staff also have suffered from OP’s actions and they have every right to condemn OP

Edit: clarifying wording

Last edited:
  • Love

I didn't label their character as malice/malicious. I labeled their ACTIONS as malicious. There's a difference in those two things. But let's say it wasn't malicious. It's irresponsible at the very least to refuse to be tested because you don't want to make up days on the rotation.

Actionable Covid symptoms for a med student means any symptom should be admitted to. Most if not all hospitals require you to answer very basic URI symptom questions before reporting to work. There's a reason for that, especially in the case of a med student. The hospital system will not collapse because a med student took a sick day to see if URI symptoms improve. It will collapse if you get your entire department (and patients) sick with Covid.

The OP came into the thread to tell everyone he had a rotation from hell and blamed it on his team instead of on himself. This was a wild misinterpretation of what went down and I think it's fair to say so.

• Love
This is the internet, yet plenty of users on here advise each other appropriately and positively

Those who don't might get called out

Don't flatter yourself dude. You're not doing a community service here by taking up for the OP. Showing up to work with Covid symptoms and not even bothering to get tested for two days while seeing patients AND infecting your colleagues is probably one of the most irresponsible things an MS 3 can do. The OP is lucky he didn't fail the rotation.

• Love
When I thought I was making progress, I got COVID while rotating and inadvertently possibly passed it to others as I waited 2 days before getting tested as my symptoms were extremely mild and I didn't think I had Covid nor did I want to miss days off my rotation which I then would have to make up, and that pretty much labeled me a pariah in that location.
I have no idea how anyone on here thinks this is ok.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Sometimes it just doesn't click for a stressed out medical student. My position is that it's wrong to characterize OP as malicious.

Oh man, the excuses just don't end. The OP admitted himself "I waited 2 days before getting tested as my symptoms were extremely mild and I didn't think I had Covid nor did I want to miss days off my rotation which I then would have to make up,"

That doesn't sound like it "didn't click". It sounds very much like it clicked and he decided against it because he didn't want to be inconvenienced. Selfish as hell.

• Love

It seems like they did, though. By saying that they didn’t want to “miss days off my rotation which I then would have to make up” (because they tested positive), it implies that the OP was suspicious that they would test positive.

Where I am, it takes about 48 hours to get a PCR test back.

I was at work last week, had onset of body aches about 2 hours into work, after about another 2 hours convinced myself to get Covid/flu tested and sure enough I had Covid. I never had any other symptoms and my body aches resolved within 4 hours of onset after taking motrin.

But if I had a patient tell me he/she had body aches for 2 hours, I’d probably give them ibuprofen and tell them to come back if any more symptoms develop. Our Covid testing pathway typically requires people to have 2 symptoms to get tested, so I didn’t even meet my institutions own clinical criteria.

The point is that shaming people for not going and getting tested if they don’t have obvious symptoms, especially with omicron, is harsh and unnecessary. If you had a sore throat and cough and came to work for 2 days, yes, that’s not okay. But more subtle symptoms like feeling a little stuffy with a recent temperature drop outside probably wouldn’t convince me to test someone, but now with omicron could be the only thing someone can show they are infected. Which means that person now has to be absent from work for 2 days while they wait for a test result.

As a medical department head, the bosses come running to me when I send every single person home for COVID isolation without any critical thinking. So there’s a balance of trying to figure out who needs testing, and omicron has really made that more difficult due to the mild presentation of it. It’s easy to sit back as a medical student or resident and say “test everyone!” But when you are in charge of the amount of people coming to work, you gain a different perspective and learn to take that next step of understanding how your testing strategy affects more than just the individual patient. If I send 100 people home for 48 hours to get tested and 98% of those tests come back negative, I’m going to get yelled at for creating a staff shortage for 2 days because of my poor clinical skills to recognize who actually needed testing.

Now, the flip side of that is Tuesday I saw 150 acute care patients with either uri or GI symptoms and just decided to test all of them and 120 of them just came back positive…so omicron has really challenged our testing strategy and clearly shows we aren’t testing enough to capture people spreading. Prior to omicron, I’d test about 20-30 people a day and get 1 positive…which showed we were testing a good enough amount to capture spread.

There is a difference between a provider and a patient in clinic. The provider can easily spread it to hospitalized patients who are vulnerable. Any med student who has ANY symptom of Covid without telling their resident or clerkship director at the very least is being irresponsible. So no, I don't think this is harsh. I think what's harsh is that the OP didn't even attempt to clarify the situation by getting tested on day one. Even if he hadn't told anyone, he still could have gotten tested. There was no reason to wait 2 days.

• Love

It is not toxic to tell a med student you were at fault for your own troubles on a rotation where you knowingly came to work with Covid symptoms and made the concious decision not to get tested because you didn't want to be inconvenienced. Good lord, what is wrong with medicine today that it's considered inappropriate to point this out?

I have no idea how anyone on here thinks this is ok.
Exactly. OP hoped the symptoms would subside and they could continue working. OP did not consider the safety of his patients or colleagues

To address some questions the moderator staff has received, the OP has closed the thread (not the moderator staff), as is allowed for any thread on SDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.