Clinical Volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doit4humanity

It's Morphin' Time!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it look bad to quit a clinical volunteer job that ask the volunteer to commit for at least a year? I have been volunteering at the ER for nearly 6 months now but recently my work have been requiring me to put in more hours which leave me with little time to study and family time. So would this look negatively on my application if the medical school contact HR at the ER to confirm my hours and as a result will find I did not follow through with my commitment?

Members don't see this ad.

Ouch, that's rough, I would try to explain the situation to the ER and see if you can get them to reduce your load or give you a pause to come back later when things settle down. It would be a shame to have volunteered for that long already and then not be confident about using them on your applications.

I would say do your best to stick it out. From what I have gathered, and aside from what the previous poster said, medical schools like to see commitment vs short stays or many activities in terms of volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about it. Talk to your volunteer coordinator about your situation. I'm sure this situation happens more than you think. Tell them that your situation has changed, and that you wouldn't be able to satisfy your 1 year commitment right now, but you will return and finish your volunteer hours once your schedule lightens up. Plus, the chances of adcoms calling your supervisor is really slim anyway so if you quitting turns out badly.

Also, if you're worrying about this not being a long-term commitment. 6 months shows enough of a commitment, especially if you can explain to adcoms that you would've continued this EC if not for your increased work hours.

I'm with asking if you can put it on hold or reduce the workload. Maybe you can go every other week, or even once a month until this dies down? Or take some shifts over the holidays? It would really strengthen your reference letter.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try suck it up for another 6 months.