Clinical Volunteering Abroad for the Summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0919mmk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - I'm trying to find cool programs that allow students to do clinical volunteering abroad. I'm heading to med school in the fall, and my SO is a first year medical student right now, so we'd like to find a program that would allow both of us to travel somewhere and help out for a month or two this summer. It could be a clinic, a study, a school, ideally something semi-clinical.

Of course, there are probably literally thousands of non-profit programs that have something like this available, but I just wanted to find out if other SDNers have had positive experiences in past summers. Plus hopefully I can avoid the ones that are just expensive vacations and/or scams. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all - I'm trying to find cool programs that allow students to do clinical volunteering abroad. I'm heading to med school in the fall, and my SO is a first year medical student right now, so we'd like to find a program that would allow both of us to travel somewhere and help out for a month or two this summer. It could be a clinic, a study, a school, ideally something semi-clinical.

Of course, there are probably literally thousands of non-profit programs that have something like this available, but I just wanted to find out if other SDNers have had positive experiences in past summers. Plus hopefully I can avoid the ones that are just expensive vacations and/or scams. Thanks!

I don't know much about this program, but there are a couple pre-meds at my school who do International Service Learning every summer. It's clinical experience, a bit pricey though. (www.islonline.org)

Also, I just thought of this, but if I get people to fund a volunteer trip abroad, is that going to be deductible from their taxes as a charitable contribution? Cause if so, that would make life a lot easier...

Also, I just thought of this, but if I get people to fund a volunteer trip abroad, is that going to be deductible from their taxes as a charitable contribution?
Only if they make the check out directly to the trip-sponsoring organization, rather than to you. And provided the organization is recognized by the US government as a legitimate charitable group.