Clinical volunteering at different hospital in same department

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringphysician190

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just finished up my freshman year of college and got 85 hours volunteering at a hospital in the ER department. For the summer, I am now volunteering at a different hospital closer to my house, also in the ER department and should have 56 hours by the end of the summer. I plan on continuing these two commitments for the rest of my undergrad, will it look bad that both were in the ER the whole time or does that not matter? Do adcoms only care that you have adequate clinical volunteering experience or do they also care you have an adequate range of different departments/aspects of the hospital? Thank-you for any advice you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I just finished up my freshman year of college and got 85 hours volunteering at a hospital in the ER department. For the summer, I am now volunteering at a different hospital closer to my house, also in the ER department and should have 56 hours by the end of the summer. I plan on continuing these two commitments for the rest of my undergrad, will it look bad that both were in the ER the whole time or does that not matter?
1) Do adcoms only care that you have adequate clinical volunteering experience or
2) do they also care you have an adequate range of different departments/aspects of the hospital?
1) An interactive experience of patients with a variety of acute illnesses or injuries, common in most EDs, is typically judged to be sufficient.

2) No. Unless you spend your time in the ER only stocking cabinets and washing down beds, which believe it or not, happens.

You will need to get in some shadowing experience too, which gives you the opportunity to add some variety and also to see what longitudinal care is like, as provided in a primary care doc's office.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank-you for the reply! I am trying to find a doctor to shadow but have not had any luck yet. Should I try to get multiple docs with multiple specialties (if so which ones?) and what number of shadowing hours should I shoot for? Thank-you.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) An interactive experience of patients with a variety of acute illnesses or injuries, common in most EDs, is typically judged to be sufficient.

2) No. Unless you spend your time in the ER only stocking cabinets and washing down beds, which believe it or not, happens.

You will need to get in some shadowing experience too, which gives you the opportunity to add some variety and also to see what longitudinal care is like, as provided in a primary care doc's office.

Thank-you for the reply! I am trying to find a doctor to shadow but have not had any luck yet. Should I try to get multiple docs with multiple specialties (if so which ones?) and what number of shadowing hours should I shoot for? Thank-you.

About 50 hours is the average listed, so it's a good number to shoot for.

You might try your own doc back home, or hit on those of parents, or a friend's physician parent. Or you may get to know someone while gaining active clinical experience.

One office-based based primary care doc is sufficient, but many observe multiple specialties. Once you have one doc, you can potentially get referrals to others.

About 50 hours is the average listed, so it's a good number to shoot for.

You might try your own doc back home, or hit on those of parents, or a friend's physician parent. Or you may get to know someone while gaining active clinical experience.

One office-based based primary care doc is sufficient, but many observe multiple specialties. Once you have one doc, you can potentially get referrals to others.

Thanks for the response! When listing how many hours shadowed on med school apps, do you include only MD's shadowed on MD apps and only DO's shadowed on DO apps? Or if you shadow MD's and DO's can the number of hours between the two be totaled and put on both of MD and DO apps? Is 50 hours of shadowing you advised including all shadowing from MD and DO? Thank-you very much.

Thanks for the response! When listing how many hours shadowed on med school apps, do you include only MD's shadowed on MD apps and only DO's shadowed on DO apps? Or if you shadow MD's and DO's can the number of hours between the two be totaled and put on both of MD and DO apps? Is 50 hours of shadowing you advised including all shadowing from MD and DO? Thank-you very much.
I don't have expertise on the nuances of AACOMAS applications, but for AMCAS and TMDSAS, one lists all MD and DO Shadowing. The 50 hour suggestion includes both. I suspect AACOMAS is the same, but confirm that.

I don't have expertise on the nuances of AACOMAS applications, but for AMCAS and TMDSAS, one lists all MD and DO Shadowing. The 50 hour suggestion includes both. I suspect AACOMAS is the same, but confirm that.
Thank-you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user