Clinical vs NON Clinical Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychedaboutpsych123

Psychologist
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a student who is interested in getting a masters in psychology that would lead to licensure. However, my student is applying to non-licensure leading programs and I'm having a hard time explaining the difference in a way that makes sense to her.

Does anyone know of any good resources that lay out the difference and may be a helpful guide?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure of a resource but have you explained that licensure programs will include fieldwork requirements to practice the skills before graduating while non-licensure programs are designed to prepare students for doctoral programs or working in research type environments? Is she applying to masters in child development or I/O type programs?

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure of a resource but have you explained that licensure programs will include fieldwork requirements to practice the skills before graduating while non-licensure programs are designed to prepare students for doctoral programs or working in research type environments? Is she applying to masters in child development or I/O type programs?

I think adding the fieldwork requirement into the explanation would be a good way to further differentiate. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
You’re welcome. Another way to help the student is to have the student look up the requirements for masters level licensure in 2-3 states she might be interested in living in. Most state boards list these on their website. Then have the student compare the requirements with the curriculum of the programs she is applying to. She will see how some programs don’t meet her goal, and will learn how to gather information about career requirements at the same time. ;)