clinical work ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med10333

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anybody have any good experiences in any specific clinical jobs? Any suggestions as i start looking for more clinical experiences to add to my resume? Or is there anything I should NOT do as clinical work?

Also, do most people consider clinical work the same as volunteer work if i am not getting paid?

Thanks Guys

Members don't see this ad.

do most people consider clinical work the same as volunteer work if i am not getting paid?
You can get clinical experience through the workplace, for class credit, data gathering for a clinical trial, or via volunteerism. So unpaid clinical work isn't always volunteer. If there is any purpose that serves you, other than altruism, it's not "volunteer".

The advantage of gaining clinical exposure through volunteerism, is that it also is looked on as community service, another unwritten requirement for your application.

I volunteer in an ER and a Free Medical Clinic.

Both are good experiences for me.

I actually get to do things like vitals, take patients around, move them around; basically what an ER tech does.

I think my added age (29) and being male helps. They sometimes need my muscle. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Free clinic, or a hospice or a nursing home, or EMT

Does working as a phlebotomist count as clinical experience? I can argue either way so any help would be great.

Yes - You're in a hospital, working with patients, as well as with biohazard material. You're doing loads more than shadowing doctors and various other volunteer work in a hospital.

No - While "seeing" patients, it's not the kind of "seeing" doctors do. You're still not in their rooms and you can't see the physician/patient interaction.

You're right on both counts. Being a phlebotomist clearly gives you clinical exposure. You are having face to face interactions with sick folks and doing them a service. But you have no contact with physicians. If it was your sole source of clinical experience, you'd need to do some shadowing too to show you have a knowledge of what doctors do. If your lab work is a paid experience, or to collect data for a study, it does not fulfill the need for community service, so you'd need something else for that.