Closed file interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredrswife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this mean that they don't know anything about you, including LOR, PS, etc., or they just don't know your numbers? If they don't know anything, isn't it a waste of time since most of what you'll probably talk about can be read elsewhere, or will they just ask random questions not related to your academic/community service background at all? it seems to suck for applicants who may need to explain low gpa, low mcat, mediocre LOR, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a closed-file interview last month and it was just weird. It was conversational, but I still fail to see how these can be useful for the adcoms. My interviewer went down a list of generic questions like what's your greatest strength/weakness, do you play a musical instrument, where are you from. The best you can hope for is to make a connection with your interviewer by trying to have a good conversation.

I worked with a few doctors who were on the admissions committee and they told me that the interviewer just adds to your file. They provide a "non-biased" opinion of you. After the interview, the interviewer writes up their impression of you and submits it to the committee. I agree that they are pretty awkward, just make sure you have plenty to say and be prepared to answer questions like, "tell me about yourself." Good luck!!

I have been to some closed file interviews. Some interviewers read through your EC's, LORS, and anything else that doesn't have to do with numbers. If you have gotten to the interview level you really don't need to be questioned about mistakes because they have already brought you into the interview. I think the most important part is to find out how you interact with people. Think about it. . . .being a doctor you are constantly interacting with people. . so evaluating your social skills would be a good thing to do during an interview. Plus why not figure out who you would like to be interacting with you if you are in the faculty.