Cloud Storage for Research Participant Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biscuitsbiscuits

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
A lab in my program is closing down and wondering if there is some cloud-based online storage that is secure enough to hold participant data/materials (will include names). They have to move out of their offices and are wondering whether they can ethically scan and upload these materials somewhere. Does anyone have experience with this or know of anything secure enough to meet ethical guidelines?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It would be important for your colleagues to check with their department and IRB to ensure that use of HIPAA compliant cloud storage is permissible at their institution. This is assuming that their data is HIPAA-protected. If not, then their institution may place fewer restrictions on the types of cloud storage they can use.

Reactions: 1 user

It would be important for your colleagues to check with their department and IRB to ensure that use of HIPAA compliant cloud storage is permissible at their institution. This is assuming that their data is HIPAA-protected. If not, then their institution may place fewer restrictions on the types of cloud storage they can use.

Very helpful, thanks so much. I will relay this to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they leaving the institution or is this just a physical space issue?

If remaining at the institution, newer versions of redcap allow document upload, etc.

If leaving the institution, most will require de-identified data for sharing with a handful of exceptions

Are they leaving the institution or is this just a physical space issue?

If remaining at the institution, newer versions of redcap allow document upload, etc.

If leaving the institution, most will require de-identified data for sharing with a handful of exceptions

Good question. The PI will remain at the institution but will be taking on other responsibilities and as far as I know will not be working on any projects relating to the lab's previous work. So the lab will "close," but he will remain.

In that situation I guess it really depends on who will still want access and what they need to do with it. I'm guessing this is a case where ultra-senior PI is moving into an administrative role, their lab space is going away and the underlings and junior folks are trying to figure out how to finish out grants with a massive reduction in square footage?

If that is the case, this is a situation where I wouldn't hesitate to put the onus back on the institution. They do not want HIPAA violations (if a covered entity). I'm not sure I would necessarily recommend this strategy, but when I previously had a similar situation I "might" have eventually gotten frustrated and emailed our administration/information security folks telling them I'm throwing everything on a flash drive and taking it home with me unless someone gives me a better option. It is amazing how rapidly solutions can be generated from people previously set on stonewalling once they are motivated.

Is there a reason it needs to be truly cloud-based? Certainly shared department server space with restricted access and the like would be a very easy solution. Most major universities will have a way for external folks to VPN in and be granted access if need be. Not every place will have this, but we also have cluster computing networks where PHI can live essentially "walled off" but can still be accessed remotely for analysis from within the institution. I don't fully understand the technical logistics of it, but something like that could work.

Reactions: 1 users