CME--who all do I send it to?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jm192

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance. I've tried searching here and it brings up CME offers.
I tried to google--and it brought up CME offers.

I figure this is the best place to talk to someone with some experience that deals with the family medicine criteria.

I'm a year into practice and have no idea what the hell I'm doing with the stuff.

AAFP/ABFM both say 150 credits per 3 year cycle. Do I just upload it all to AAFP?

Do I need to send something to my state board?

Do I send something to my hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

You can update it on ABFM, its a part of their cert requirement (there's a little cylinder graphic thing that tells you how many cat 1 and 2 credits you have/need)

You want to keep record of all your CME for your own self. Not required to submit it, unless your board asks for proof (based on the places I'm licensed), other boards might vary.

Reactions: 1 user
Following along. I just started practicing this year and feel overwhelmed by what’s needed for cme. (In terms of figuring out what exactly I need to do and who to send it to and how).

Members don't see this ad :)
Here'e the skinny as it currently stands, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Both the ABFM and AAFP require 150 hours of CME. AAFP takes it a step further by requiring 25 live credit hours. ABFM doesn't care about live credit, but has the 150 total requirement. You'll also have modules to do for them (ABFM).

Your membership to AAFP buys you a "discount (lol)" for their sanctioned live sessions, but more importantly, It also buys you access to the online quizzes. If you do the quizzes alone (and nothing else), you will have more than enough CME credit to pacify the ABFM overlords. Last cycle, my AAFP credits automatically sent to the ABFM.

If you sign up for live CME through the AAFP site, entering the hours is actually quite simple since it's a conference known to them already. That's what I did last time.

So reading through the noise, your membership to the AAFP (money) essentially buys you "cheap" and easy CME. They'll keep track of it for you and upload it to the ABFM once you hit 150. You'll still need 25 live hours (more money) for your AAFP accreditation.

Following along. I just started practicing this year and feel overwhelmed by what’s needed for cme. (In terms of figuring out what exactly I need to do and who to send it to and how).
So you basically need CME for 3 things.

State licence. Each state is different in terms of what they require. Look up your specific state.

AAFP. 150 hours every 3 years. 25 of those hours must be live. 75 must be prescribed (fancy word for CME that is specifically AAFP approved, this can overlap with the 25 live hours).

ABFM. 150 hours every 3 years. They don't care what kind other than 75 of those hours must be Division 1 (which basically means AMA/AAFP approved).

As noted, if you're an AAFP member then the AAFP will track your CME done through them and has an easy interface for entering other CME. The AAFP will then send your CME report to the ABFM.

Reactions: 1 users
So you basically need CME for 3 things.

State licence. Each state is different in terms of what they require. Look up your specific state.

AAFP. 150 hours every 3 years. 25 of those hours must be live. 75 must be prescribed (fancy word for CME that is specifically AAFP approved, this can overlap with the 25 live hours).

ABFM. 150 hours every 3 years. They don't care what kind other than 75 of those hours must be Division 1 (which basically means AMA/AAFP approved).

As noted, if you're an AAFP member then the AAFP will track your CME done through them and has an easy interface for entering other CME. The AAFP will then send your CME report to the ABFM.

Strong delay on this, but looking at CME again as 2020 will be the end of my cycle.

I've met the ABFM requirements and I'm sure I'll have my state requirements met.

Does AAFP matter? Like am I obligated in some way to submit CME to them? Or can I just opt not to do AAFP? Will it affect or hinder my license/ability to practice?

Strong delay on this, but looking at CME again as 2020 will be the end of my cycle.

I've met the ABFM requirements and I'm sure I'll have my state requirements met.

Does AAFP matter? Like am I obligated in some way to submit CME to them? Or can I just opt not to do AAFP? Will it affect or hinder my license/ability to practice?
In absolute terms, not being an AAFP member won't affect your license/board certification.

Joining or not joining the AAFP shouldn't be about money. You're going to spend money on licensing and CME regardless, and it's not like the AAFP dues are exorbitant ($450/year). The AAFP does make it a lot easier to meet your CME requirements, and they can answer all kinds of questions, including those asked by the OP.

And, no...I don't work for the AAFP or anything. I do believe that we're stronger together, however.

Joining or not joining the AAFP shouldn't be about money. You're going to spend money on licensing and CME regardless, and it's not like the AAFP dues are exorbitant ($450/year). The AAFP does make it a lot easier to meet your CME requirements, and they can answer all kinds of questions, including those asked by the OP.

And, no...I don't work for the AAFP or anything. I do believe that we're stronger together, however.

On my dues screen: It's 450 for AAFP and 380 for Kentucky State dues. All said and done, just over 800$. And when my employer was paying for it, it was fine and easy. But paying 800$ a year--I'm not sure how much sense it makes to send them that much money year in and year out. I appreciate the Cheap and often easy CME.

On my dues screen: It's 450 for AAFP and 380 for Kentucky State dues. All said and done, just over 800$. And when my employer was paying for it, it was fine and easy. But paying 800$ a year--I'm not sure how much sense it makes to send them that much money year in and year out. I appreciate the Cheap and often easy CME.

Your state chapter is doing more than just providing CME. They deserve your support, as their efforts benefit you and your patients.

Your state chapter is doing more than just providing CME. They deserve your support, as their efforts benefit you and your patients.
Agreed. I paid the full $800 all 3 years of my private practice. Its definitely worth it, and in the grand scheme of physician-level income its not a huge expense.

Agreed. I paid the full $800 all 3 years of my private practice. Its definitely worth it, and in the grand scheme of physician-level income its not a huge expense.

Help me out. I’m not arguing. What are they doing/what are the benefits that make it worth it?

Members don't see this ad :)
SRSLY...? Maybe visit their web site, for a start. Try getting involved, for another.

I actually looked at it last night. I have a hard time justifying 800$ a year for it if it’s out of pocket. It costs more than any of the other societies.

AMA is 210

I’m primarily a Hospitalist—SHM is 450.

I’m in KY, the KMA with county dues is 630.

I’m genuinely trying to understand how to justify 800$ a year for the AAFP, which is more than everything else.

I’m not trying to be a smart alec or rude or argumentative. I’m just trying to understand your perspective.

Why do you belong to SHM? Why do you belong to the AMA/KMA? Those organizations are far less relevant to your specialty than the AAFP/KAFP.

Oh, and be sure to donate to your state and national PACs while you're at it.

I actually looked at it last night. I have a hard time justifying 800$ a year for it if it’s out of pocket. It costs more than any of the other societies.

AMA is 210

I’m primarily a Hospitalist—SHM is 450.

I’m in KY, the KMA with county dues is 630.

I’m genuinely trying to understand how to justify 800$ a year for the AAFP, which is more than everything else.

I’m not trying to be a smart alec or rude or argumentative. I’m just trying to understand your perspective.
Screw the AMA, hard

Why do you belong to SHM? Why do you belong to the AMA/KMA? Those organizations are far less relevant to your specialty than the AAFP/KAFP.

Oh, and be sure to donate to your state and national PACs while you're at it.

I’m not in AMA or KMA. I was just comparing prices.

SHM feels most pertinent to what I’m doing work-wise.

I’m not dogging AAFP, just trying to figure out how to get the 800$ in value out of it.

Screw the AMA, hard

I agree with you. The point was just to compare prices.

The AMA is a political body that isn’t about the docs.

I track my CME into AAFP, then the AAFP transmits it all to ABFM annually.

The high dues for AAFP includes your state and local chapter dues. You can't split them. I'm pretty involved in my state and local chapter, and also in academics, so I see it as a good value and attend a lot of the conferences/business meetings.

The AMA/State medical societies are generally separated because not all people (ie A LOT of people) don't agree with the AMA, but they a strong advocate for their state society.

And donate to your PACs!