Cme

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gaseous Clay

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I checked online and couldn't find an answer. Just passed oral exam this past April and wondering when am I supposed to start collecting CME credit? Does it start now, beginning of 2012, etc ...?

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I checked online and couldn't find an answer. Just passed oral exam this past April and wondering when am I supposed to start collecting CME credit? Does it start now, beginning of 2012, etc ...?

Thanks for any help.

Congratulations on passing the orals.

Look under your MOCA Progress Report section on ABA Portal to be certain. On mine it says from April 25, 2009 to December 31, 2019. I passed my orals in April 2009. My certificate issue date is listed at April 24, 2009. So my impression would be from when you passed your exam onwards.

Thank you for the response. Is there a place that explains CME more? Don't we need "x" amount of hours over "y" amount of time?

I am considering a conference Dec 2011 but want to make sure I get CME credit for it. I'm sure I would, but want to be 100% certain before making expensive decisions.

Thank you for the response. Is there a place that explains CME more? Don't we need "x" amount of hours over "y" amount of time?

I am considering a conference Dec 2011 but want to make sure I get CME credit for it. I'm sure I would, but want to be 100% certain before making expensive decisions.

Gaseous, relax. You'll be fine.

When you log into the ABA Portal account, on the entry page you will see a big yellow box that says at most 70 CME credits will be allowed per year -- anything beyond that won't count for MOCA. The goal of this is so that MOCA participants engage in CME activity for at least 5 of their 10 years.

Below that yellow box is a line that says: "As a MOCA participant you can...."

The first option below this is "Review your Maintenance of Certification progress report." Click on this link.

When you click on that link, Section 1 gives you all the CME information you need. On my page, Section 1 says:

• You are currently certified.
  • Your certification ends on December 31, 2019.
  • Only LL-SA (CME) activities completed between April 25, 2009 and December 31, 2019 are credited towards your MOCA requirements.
  • The earliest you could receive your MOCA certificate is January 01, 2020.
  • You must complete a total of 350 LL-SA (CME) credits, including:
    • At least 250 ACCME-approved Category 1 CME.
    • 60 Category 1 credits from the ASA's SEE and/or ACE Program.
    • 20 Category 1 credits of Patient Safety CME (offered by ASA and ABMS/HealthStream).
  • A maximum of 70 credits per year may be applied to your LL-SA requirement.
  • You must complete 200 LL-SA credits to be eligible for the Cognitive Examination.
  • You will undergo Practice Performance Assessments during:
    January 1, 2010 - December 31, 2014
    January 1, 2015 - December 31, 2019
  • You may be eligible to take the Cognitive Examination as early as 2016.
Unless you get conference time, one of the easiest ways to get CME is to go through the ACE/SEE programs. That will give you 60 of the 70 credits.

If the conference reports your CME credits directly to the ABA (like ASA and SOAP meetings do), you will be asked to sign off on the credits. This will appear as a statement in red under the next section where it says: "As an anesthesiologist you can..." The last link is "Submit/Review completed LL-SA activities. Below that in red is "You have # to complete." Where # = the number of activities you need to sign off on. When you click that link you will see some activities are listed on a white background, and others on a green background. Find the ones that are on a white background. Click on the "Edit/Complete" icon (the one with the pencil and paper). On the next page you will check which categories the CME met, and attest that the activity were relevant to your practice.