CMSRU vs RWJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maddeh87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Financially, both are probably about the same for me; I have the GI bill so I'll be able to go to both mostly debt free. I haven't decided what specialty I want, though I don't think I could get a particularly competitive one. They're both really great schools, and I know I would be really happy at either one of them, and that's what's making the decision so difficult!

CMSRU

Pros:
  • I loved the school, the staff were really passionate and the students all seemed happy
  • Philly is awesome
  • brand new facilities
  • 1 hour train ride to my sister in DC, 1 hour flight to my family in Boston, close friend I knew when I was in the Air Force is in Philly
Cons:
  • Camden isn't the safest area, even if I were to commute in
  • Newer school and I'm unsure how that's factored into matching into residencies
  • The VA center at Rowan is really difficult to get into contact with, and the certifying official who I was finally able to get in contact with was very misinformed and dismissive about how the GI Bill will cover tuition and fees (she said it wouldn't cover fees, which is absolutely false.)

RWJMS
Pros:
  • Grew up next to the school, my mom went to the associated pharmacy school and used to teach there, and my childhood best friend is an M1 there
  • much safer area than CMSRU
  • Older, more established school
  • Seems to have a better work/life balance

Cons:
  • It's weird going back home after being gone for 12 years
  • The cost of living in the area is a bit more expensive
  • The facilities are much older and look like they were the inspiration for Fall Out
  • CMSRU admitted me 16 OCT, so I kinda feel like I'm cheating on them

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
M1 at RWJ here!

I would pick RWJ over Cooper. RWJ has the largest hospital network in NJ and will be expanding with the recent addition of RWJBarnabas. RWJ being associated with Rutgers will give you more research opportunities should you choose to pursue research. While the facilities for the first 2 years might not be brand new, RWJUH is state of the art.

There is something to be said about being close to family (if they’re still in the area). Also, being halfway between philly and NYC will allow you to get to wherever you need to go without much effort. The train in New Brunswick gets you into NYC in under an hour.

If you were drawn by Cooper’s mission, Promise Clinic (Student run free clinic) and plenty of other community initiatives will allow you to engage with the diverse New Brunswick community.

While match lists are probably more indicative of individual effort, ours is pretty damn good.

Not sure about Cooper’s curriculum but at RWJ, recorded lectures plus the pass/fail unranked system will give you some free time to visit your sister and friends between blocks/exams.

That being said, they’re both great options and congratulations!

Financially, both are probably about the same for me; I have the GI bill so I'll be able to go to both mostly debt free. I haven't decided what specialty I want, though I don't think I could get a particularly competitive one. They're both really great schools, and I know I would be really happy at either one of them, and that's what's making the decision so difficult!

CMSRU

Pros:
  • I loved the school, the staff were really passionate and the students all seemed happy
  • Philly is awesome
  • brand new facilities
  • 1 hour train ride to my sister in DC, 1 hour flight to my family in Boston, close friend I knew when I was in the Air Force is in Philly
Cons:
  • Camden isn't the safest area, even if I were to commute in
  • Newer school and I'm unsure how that's factored into matching into residencies
  • The VA center at Rowan is really difficult to get into contact with, and the certifying official who I was finally able to get in contact with was very misinformed and dismissive about how the GI Bill will cover tuition and fees (she said it wouldn't cover fees, which is absolutely false.)

RWJMS
Pros:
  • Grew up next to the school, my mom went to the associated pharmacy school and used to teach there, and my childhood best friend is an M1 there
  • much safer area than CMSRU
  • Older, more established school
  • Seems to have a better work/life balance

Cons:
  • It's weird going back home after being gone for 12 years
  • The cost of living in the area is a bit more expensive
  • The facilities are much older and look like they were the inspiration for Fall Out
  • CMSRU admitted me 16 OCT, so I kinda feel like I'm cheating on them

Reactions: 1 user
Go wherever you think you would be happiest. Med school can be miserable, so the goal is to avoid making it any more miserable than it needs to be. Either way you've got access to interesting patients and plenty of research. Either way you will be fine in the match (but competitive specialities obviously require a lot of work no matter where you are).

Reactions: 1 users