Minnesota TC vs RWJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stinkygoose00

Reaction score
I am so grateful to have acceptances to both of these schools, but I am having a hard time choosing between the two, so any thoughts/advice would be really appreciated! I would like to eventually match somewhere in the northeast so I can be close to home (New Jersey). In terms of specialty I am really interested in pediatrics but idk exactly whether primary care or EM or surgery. Also I haven't received financial aid from either yet.

Edit: Minnesota is waiving my non-resident tuition so cost is about the same

Minnesota (Twin Cities)
Pros:
- higher ranking in research and primary care
- true P/F for both preclinical and clinical years
- in a city
- tons of research
- Could be nice to branch out and explore somewhere new, get away from home for a bit

Cons:
- Match list is mostly midwest (idk if that's geographic preference or they don't match well in the northeast)
- far from family and SO (idk anyone in Minnesota)
- second year of new curriculum
- the winters (I've never experienced that level of cold)

RWJMS
Pros:
- Close to family and SO
- Solid match list in the northeast (especially for peds)
- true P/F preclinical
- good research ops

Cons:
- Lower rank (I know this isn't a dealbreaker but I'm worried that more emphasis will be placed on school ranking since Step 1 is p/f)
- H/HP/P/F system for clinical rotations
- need to get a car
- AOA*

*Minnesota also has AOA but preclinical/clinical grades & step scores are not factored into the application process, sounds more holistic

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rutgers for cost, location near family, and northeast-heavy matches (though prior match lists are a substantially less important factor since applicants can use regional and program-specific signaling to essentially match in any region they want).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! M1 at UMN here. Lots of research, clinical, and volunteer opportunities. Lots of respect in the Midwest and nationally. Most people who want to match in an area outside of the Midwest can w/o issue. Minneapolis is a cool city.
But I don't think the "rank prestige" is nearly as important as most people think. Go with what's cheaper and by your support system.

Congrats on the acceptances!! I’m from nyc and personally love the twin cities! That being said, I would still probably choose RWJ because 1) support systems are massive and will definitely improve overall health and wellness during school 2) RWJ is super well regarded in the region so you should have no issue matching in NJ/NY (or the north east as a whole if you do the required pre reqs) and last 3) tbh the new Med building that RWJ is currently building looks gorgeous and way nicer than the concrete building that UMN houses their med school in (but this is purely aesthetic)
Overall no bad choices, but if you do choose Minnesota I would recommend investing in some good wool socks and an ankle length coat lmao.