CNA and EMT question

CrazyboyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a Junior in High School. I am going to be taking my CNA state exam in a few weeks, and am planning to start an EMT-B course soon.

After putting in more hours to both certifications, do those type of careers look well on College Resumes?

How do Medical Schools look at you being a CNA and EMT?

If anyone out there is an EMT, how tough is the course!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

EMT-B course is easy.

Both CNA and EMT will look great on college resumes.

Being that you are still in HS, having experience with both of those jobs for the duration of your undergrad will look favorable. I'd caution you however that being an EMT is not really a good experience of what medicine is. EMT training however can teach you about teamwork, working under pressure, and it is clinical exposure.

Being that grades and test scores are the most important factors for admission, make sure you can incorporate everything into your schedule and do everything well.

I'd tell any HS student that wants to look into EMS work to try out the EMT-B course. You have nothing to lose at your age. I'd tell an older student to skip it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you do make sure you use it, getting an EMT-B won't matter a hill of beans unless you work as an EMT, which also entails more than just staffing the gym at your university..

I don't really see why you'd want to get both before working as either... if you want to work as a CNA do that, if EMT do that. But if you're getting both just to collect certs you'll be wasting time and money

Reactions: 2 users
Was a paramedic & EMT, worked professionally for six years before/during college. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. In my opinion, EMS is better, you have some great opportunities to build strong relationships with the ER physicians in your area. That's how I found my mentors who really helped along way.

That being said, EMS is not safe, is not a good working environment, and will mentally and physically kick the **** out of you. If you're ready for that, there's a lot to be learned from the experience.

Was a paramedic & EMT, worked professionally for six years before/during college. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. In my opinion, EMS is better, you have some great opportunities to build strong relationships with the ER physicians in your area. That's how I found my mentors who really helped along way.

That being said, EMS is not safe, is not a good working environment, and will mentally and physically kick the **** out of you. If you're ready for that, there's a lot to be learned from the experience.

I agree its a great experience.. if you can handle it. Unless you're very lucky you won't be able to get good shifts right off that bat, that means doing overnights most likely on weeknights or anytime on the weekends. Neither of which I would you really want to do your first semester of college. It's hard enough getting adjusted to pre-med classes without having to worry about getting home from work at 7am with 0 sleep and then going to general chemistry. If you could get weekend shifts it wouldn't be bad unless you value going out with your friends your first year more than working, that a personal choice though.

Overall I would highly recommend doing one of them but I would wait until at least after your freshman year or spring at the earliest. Get a feel for college first.

If Medical School's your future, then yes EMS would be better. I got my EMT-B in my first semester of college, and I immediately found a job in an Emergency Department (been there a year, going to a Level 2 Trauma in June). Best experience ever. Shadowing. Networking. Learning from the best. And not only that, but you do a heck of a lot. It is a privilege, and it is something that not everyone can (or should) do. You'll see a lot in EMS, it's not doing it just to do it, you do it because you love it. Death is joke. But I recommend EMT-B. No guarantee you'll get an ED job off the bat, but you work a couple years in ambulance, by your junior year you can land an ED job (imagine getting a job at a local academic medical center and the networking from there). Not only that, you'll wrack up thousands of lcinical hours. I've been full time, so I should have roughly 5,500 hours when I matriculate into med school

Reactions: 1 user
If Medical School's your future, then yes EMS would be better. I got my EMT-B in my first semester of college, and I immediately found a job in an Emergency Department (been there a year, going to a Level 2 Trauma in June). Best experience ever. Shadowing. Networking. Learning from the best. And not only that, but you do a heck of a lot. It is a privilege, and it is something that not everyone can (or should) do. You'll see a lot in EMS, it's not doing it just to do it, you do it because you love it. Death is joke. But I recommend EMT-B. No guarantee you'll get an ED job off the bat, but you work a couple years in ambulance, by your junior year you can land an ED job (imagine getting a job at a local academic medical center and the networking from there). Not only that, you'll wrack up thousands of lcinical hours. I've been full time, so I should have roughly 5,500 hours when I matriculate into med school

I don't think it would be better, I think it just depends. To me, they are both similar but totally different experiences. Regardless, working in healthcare before you apply is awesome.

As a CNA, I got to start off working in a hospital and with physicians. @CrazyboyMD, I think it is not necessary to get both.