EMT-B then ER Tech

CrazyboyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys know how long it takes to be employed as an ER Tech after completing the EMT-B course?

Since I'm still a junior, can I work as an ER Tech as a Senior in the fall?

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to mention, that I would already have completed the EMT-B course by the late summer.

Hmm I'd love to see some responses to this question as I too am enrolled in an EMT-B class

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my EMT-B first semester of college, and got an ER Tech job immediately at the one of the best hospitals in California! Most hospitals require (or at least desire) a year of ambulance experience, but since you're young they might like you a lot and see maturity in you. That's what they said about me at least, so I'm sure it'd be a somewhat similar experience for you. I also had other things like great academic performance, leadership experience, bilingual in Spanish, and a few other things, and our interview was great. You're going to work with a bunch of 25+ year old people, and they'll all consider you the baby haha (they called me Baby Boy, I was 18 when I started there). But just apply to a bunch of hospitals and it's possible. Pay's a lot better and you learn a lot :) but hey, if you can't find an ER job, just get an ambulance job for a while and work your way up. One thing you get on ambulance (that you don't get in the ED as much) is assessment experience! And assessments for a doctor are one of the most important skills!

I really think it's dependant on location, where I'm from (Idaho, USA) it's fairly competitive to get a job. Transport services or Volunteering is the best way to get in where I'm at/from. The main two ambulance services mainly recruit paramedics.

I'm not really sure what the requirements are for EMT-B but I was an ER Tech as a hospital with a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant). It is a two-three month program. My hospital only allowed paramedics, nurse students, and CNAs to be ER Techs. But the CNA thing is more focused with nursing care rather than first responder. As a CNA, you could get a job in other departments of the hospital. For example, I worked in med/surg, ICU, and ER. A variety of experience could be useful rather than just ER.

Call around & ask & don't get discouraged until you've exhausted all the ED's in your area. And if that doesn't work out there's always EMS volunteering/employment

I'm an EMT and in my area (rural) they only hire medics in the ER. However, I do work a medic/basic truck on the road so I still get all the cool ALS calls and very few transfers. My previous job was 100% transfers as an EMT.