CNA or Orthopedic Clinic Scribe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captain_donuts

Reaction score
On the same day, I was accepted into a CNA training program and offered a position as a scribe at an orthopedic clinic. Anyone have any suggestions on which would be the better experience? I’m applying this cycle and will have a full gap year to work.
Scribing pros: Doctors there are required to write letters of rec for scribes, easier and more interesting (in my opinion)
Cons: Nearly half the pay of the CNA, less flexible hours

CNA pros: fantastic pay, flexible hours, more hands on experience with patients
Cons: “Grunt work”, have to pay for training program (couple hundred dollars)

I feel that scribing is typically the way to go, but I already a letter of rec from a doctor and I’ve already been volunteering as a scribe for the past 9 months. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You lost me after
Nearly half the pay of the CNA, less flexible hours
I would go with the CNA position. There's nothing you would get from being an ortho scribe over CNA that would be worth the drastic difference in pay in my opinion.

Reactions: 6 users
You lost me after

I would go with the CNA position. There's nothing you would get from being an ortho scribe over CNA that would be worth the drastic difference in pay in my opinion.
I agree! Most of my friends have advised me to scribe surprisingly, so I posted this. However, it is slightly more complicated. If I wanted to work a regular full-time job at either place, the pay difference is only $2.50. But, if I want to work weekend night shifts (which I probably would), the difference in pay is ~$10. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Follow the money. There is nothing special about being an ortho scribe.

Reactions: 2 users
On the same day, I was accepted into a CNA training program and offered a position as a scribe at an orthopedic clinic. Anyone have any suggestions on which would be the better experience? I’m applying this cycle and will have a full gap year to work.
Scribing pros: Doctors there are required to write letters of rec for scribes, easier and more interesting (in my opinion)
Cons: Nearly half the pay of the CNA, less flexible hours

CNA pros: fantastic pay, flexible hours, more hands on experience with patients
Cons: “Grunt work”, have to pay for training program (couple hundred dollars)

I feel that scribing is typically the way to go, but I already a letter of rec from a doctor and I’ve already been volunteering as a scribe for the past 9 months. Any thoughts?
This is a rather out-dated post but I am going to respond anyway just in case anyone finds it useful.

If you are offered the choice make sure the CNA position is in a HOSPITAL setting and consists of direct patient care. I have 10+ years of experience as a CNA and it broke my body. I learned a lot but the job becomes extremely repetitive and you stop coming in and learning something new. It depends on where you work and the nurses you work with as to how much you'll learn. You rarely interact with doctors or mid-level practitioners as a CNA on a hospital floor. If it's just for a year or so while you prepare an application to another field I'd say go for it. Staffing is always bad. I came in some nights on a med-surg floor and had 20+ patients for a full 12 hour shifts. Be careful and ask a lot of questions about ratios during an interview. DO NOT work a SNF or nursing home as a premed. It will burn you out. This comes from personal experience.

If the learning experience is very important I found scribing to be the best way to go. As a scribe even at an ortho clinic you take down patient history and I took a lot for that. I have learned far more clinically as a scribe than I did as a CNA. I will say I was an ER Scribe for the majority of that and worked under a QME doctor as well.

In California at least in the bay area the scribes are paid OK money IMO. CNA's aren't paid too much more and they do back breaking work. Letter of Recs will come from working as a scribe if you need those from MD's or NP's/PA's. As a CNA I was offered many letter of rec's from nurses and a nursing director but my exposure to doctor's was minimal. The best experience I had as a CNA was in ICU. I learned a lot there. But, they rarely hire CNA's for ICU's anymore and have nurses team up and do the work together on their patients. It's unfortunate because they really need the help.

I enjoyed my time taking care of patients but had I taken the traditional route to medical school I wouldn't have put money into a CNA program and put my body through that abuse. I would have gone another route as a pre-med to get exposure to patients.

There are advantages to both. Since I've done both I thought I'd give my input. I'd be curious to hear an update on what you chose and how it went :)

Reactions: 3 users