CNA --> Pharm Tech --> CNA --> ??? Advice Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hapy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please bear with me with my story cuz it's kinda long and convoluted. I was a CNA (nurse assistant) before I became a pharm tech. I was a pharm tech for less than a year and quit because of some problems at work (I was bullied). I've been unemployed for a few months now. I'm about to start volunteering at a hospital (not in pharmacy though). I have been applying for pharm tech jobs up the butt. I even had two good interviews only to end up finding out that they need more availability from me, which I couldn't give them because of classes. I'm continuing to apply for jobs, but until I find something, I feel hopeless in terms of finding a pharmacist to write an LOR for me. It's gonna look bad to the Adcom if I had a job as a pharm tech and don't have an LOR from a pharmacist. I started thinking I should apply for a job as a CNA again even though I waved goodbye to nursing a while ago. So that's my question: Should I apply to be a CNA again or just stick it out until I find pharm tech position? Or will it look confusing to the Adcom that I went from being a CNA to a pharm tech and back to a CNA? I need a job, first of all, and I need a professional LOR. Or should I just ask my volunteer director (the one that I will be working hopefully starting this month?) for an LOR?

I'm starting to feel hopeless and depressed. Please give some advice! I was going to apply in October but the way things are looking, I don't think I can apply till much later. What to do, what to do, what to do...

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any way for you to volunteer at the pharmacy of the hospital you are about to start volunteering for?

Having a pharmacist LOR is usually a good thing, but unless explicitly stated isn't required. Do you have a previous supervisor from any of your past jobs that knows you well and could write a good letter? IMO, it would be better to have someone who knows you well (like a nurse manager, perhaps?) write you a good letter than to shadow a pharmacist for a few days have have them throw together a letter at the last minute.

Also, how competitive is your app otherwise? Are your other LORs solid? If you're in good shape otherwise, having a LOR from a pharmacist is even less important.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way for you to volunteer at the pharmacy of the hospital you are about to start volunteering for?

I had an interview with the pharmacy director last week and will hear back from them hopefully this week. Although the interview went fine, she was saying that she may not have enough work for me to do because the techs are doing most of it already. This kinda made me mad cuz I thought why did she bother to schedule an interview with me knowing there may not be enough work in the pharmacy, but anyway, that's another story. Otherwise, I will probably be placed in another non-pharmacy department as a volunteer.

Having a pharmacist LOR is usually a good thing, but unless explicitly stated isn't required. Do you have a previous supervisor from any of your past jobs that knows you well and could write a good letter? IMO, it would be better to have someone who knows you well (like a nurse manager, perhaps?) write you a good letter than to shadow a pharmacist for a few days have have them throw together a letter at the last minute.

Also, how competitive is your app otherwise? Are your other LORs solid? If you're in good shape otherwise, having a LOR from a pharmacist is even less important.

My Bachelor's GPA is 3.3 and post-BS is 4.0. I take my PCAT in September. My other LORs are good. I do okay on interviews. You're right--I can ask my previous manager when I was a CNA or a previous job if things don't start to fall into place anytime soon. I guess I should focus more energy on studying for the PCAT. Thanks, I just needed something uplifting to think about.

This kinda made me mad cuz I thought why did she bother to schedule an interview with me knowing there may not be enough work in the pharmacy, but anyway, that's another story.

1) Because she thought you were great enough to warrant HER time. In the overall scheme of things at the hospital, her time is more valuable than yours. Take that as a humongous complement that she was willing to spend her time even though she probably doesn't have any work for you. :D

2) Ask if she'll put you on a list to volunteer there during busy times, or when they have an opening. Doesn't "I was flexible enough to pitch in where needed" sound like a mature team player? Putting you on the list is probably already her plan. Due to your interview, you now have a leg up on any other Joe Schmoe coming in off the street. (I'm assuming the interview went well, anyway.)

1) Because she thought you were great enough to warrant HER time. In the overall scheme of things at the hospital, her time is more valuable than yours. Take that as a humongous complement that she was willing to spend her time even though she probably doesn't have any work for you. :D

2) Ask if she'll put you on a list to volunteer there during busy times, or when they have an opening. Doesn't "I was flexible enough to pitch in where needed" sound like a mature team player? Putting you on the list is probably already her plan. Due to your interview, you now have a leg up on any other Joe Schmoe coming in off the street. (I'm assuming the interview went well, anyway.)

Yes, I should be more grateful about her giving me the time of day. I guess I'm just worried as hell I didn't get it, which puts me back to square one. I'm also thinking I should wait until next year to apply to give myself a better chance of getting in.