MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Completely feel you on this. I remember as a med student the residents would talk about this January/February swoon and I learned this year that it's real. I think my wards block in December when COVID was rampant and I was constantly following 8-9 patients really took a lot out of me and I felt it last month when I was in the ED. The shifts themselves where pretty low-stress and we weren't required to follow or pick up a certain # of patients but I felt like it took a ton of effort/energy just to get into the car and drive there and get through the shifts. I'm now back on wards and after working for just 4 days and being off today I feel like I worked for 8 days or something.

On a different note, I just realized this week how much working with new M3s slows you down from an efficiency standpoint. Supervising them while they take the history, discussing the full plan with them, them rehearsing their presentation to me and asking for feedback. I guess I wasn't ready for that part..
I also think for me at least that my life being all work and no play is kinda getting to me lol. Like as I’m getting older it’s getting harder to ignore my lacking personal life.

I love med students (the nice ones lol)I just like having the company too. Also if they present then I don’t have to present which is always a plus. And they get a few of the pimp questions. But yes it depends on the student when it comes to efficiency.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Life update :I caved in and got the free trial of cbs to watch my show.
Also have taken the two uworld assessments and did fine.
M4 here creeping on this thread as I try to distract myself until March 19th haha
Anyways, I got YouTube TV simply because of my obsession with the various Teen Moms and TLC shows and it allows me to watch live TV or add all of those shows to my "list" and they will record new episodes but also I get access to old episodes a lot of the time. Was a great investment for fourth year because I binged like three seasons of Teen Mom 2 I was behind. but next year it'll probably be a poor decision

Reactions: 1 user
Completely feel you on this. I remember as a med student the residents would talk about this January/February swoon and I learned this year that it's real. I think my wards block in December when COVID was rampant and I was constantly following 8-9 patients really took a lot out of me and I felt it last month when I was in the ED. The shifts themselves where pretty low-stress and we weren't required to follow or pick up a certain # of patients but I felt like it took a ton of effort/energy just to get into the car and drive there and get through the shifts. I'm now back on wards and after working for just 4 days and being off today I feel like I worked for 8 days or something.

On a different note, I just realized this week how much working with new M3s slows you down from an efficiency standpoint. Supervising them while they take the history, discussing the full plan with them, them rehearsing their presentation to me and asking for feedback. I guess I wasn't ready for that part..
On that note, I have to admit I've been a crappy intern with respect to teaching M3s. It's been so busy I've been avoiding them like the plague. Thankfully, my seniors have been doing some didactics with them. Are interns or seniors supposed to be nurturing M3s? Because honestly, I barely have it figured out myself.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On that note, I have to admit I've been a crappy intern with respect to teaching M3s. It's been so busy I've been avoiding them like the plague. Thankfully, my seniors have been doing some didactics with them. Are interns or seniors supposed to be nurturing M3s? Because honestly, I barely have it figured out myself.
My favorite rotation this year was when I was on a non-residency IM hospitalist rotation with two M3s from my school on my team. That was amazing and I really enjoyed teaching/mentoring them (in a non-gunner, out of the view of the attending, asking for my help kind of way.)

I know you interns are probably really slumping right now. I just want to say you only have a few more months until you are done with intern year. You all got this in the bag!!!

Reactions: 5 users
M4 here creeping on this thread as I try to distract myself until March 19th haha
Anyways, I got YouTube TV simply because of my obsession with the various Teen Moms and TLC shows and it allows me to watch live TV or add all of those shows to my "list" and they will record new episodes but also I get access to old episodes a lot of the time. Was a great investment for fourth year because I binged like three seasons of Teen Mom 2 I was behind. but next year it'll probably be a poor decision
Haha welcome to the thread. Thanks for the tip! I still have the cbs thing because they also have inkmaster on there haha. I think I’m on season 8 of teen mom2. I don’t like the addition of the other mom from a different season. I keep skipping over her and Janelle lol.

Lol yeah I feel ya there. I need someone to teach me.

I’ve been doing pretty informal teaching, I am in no way organized enough to give M3s any kind of impromptu lecture. But I also have been trying to model that it’s ok to not know everything/look stuff up and will take a few minutes to look something up at the same time they do and we both share our findings in the moment. Because like HELL am I ever going to be one of those residents who smirks and says “why don’t you look that up and give a short presentation on that tomorrow” ugh.

Reactions: 2 users

I’ve been doing pretty informal teaching, I am in no way organized enough to give M3s any kind of impromptu lecture. But I also have been trying to model that it’s ok to not know everything/look stuff up and will take a few minutes to look something up at the same time they do and we both share our findings in the moment. Because like HELL am I ever going to be one of those residents who smirks and says “why don’t you look that up and give a short presentation on that tomorrow” ugh.

as a lurking M3, you definitely don't need to be lecturing us every day!! It's helpful when you drop us useful tidbits of knowledge as it comes up, but we get plenty of didactics already and really don't want to be a burden on you. It's more helpful for me if you just take a minute here or there to explain why you're doing things the way you are. If you happen to have something you're knowledgeable/passionate about then short chalk talks are fun, but we know you're stressed and busy. I absolutely love the idea of modeling looking things up - one of the things that has been most helpful to me is seeing where the residents turn for reference/when they don't know something. If you know there's a topic the attending likes to test students on, pointing us to a useful reference that we can read on our own while you write notes or do whatever boring task is better than having us sit around waiting for you to find time to lecture, imo.

As far as nurturing us, just giving us structure for the day/rotation is so much more important imo than lecturing/didactics. We can put up with a lot more boredom/confusion if we know what to expect!

Reactions: 6 users
as a lurking M3, you definitely don't need to be lecturing us every day!! It's helpful when you drop us useful tidbits of knowledge as it comes up, but we get plenty of didactics already and really don't want to be a burden on you. It's more helpful for me if you just take a minute here or there to explain why you're doing things the way you are. If you happen to have something you're knowledgeable/passionate about then short chalk talks are fun, but we know you're stressed and busy. I absolutely love the idea of modeling looking things up - one of the things that has been most helpful to me is seeing where the residents turn for reference/when they don't know something. If you know there's a topic the attending likes to test students on, pointing us to a useful reference that we can read on our own while you write notes or do whatever boring task is better than having us sit around waiting for you to find time to lecture, imo.

As far as nurturing us, just giving us structure for the day/rotation is so much more important imo than lecturing/didactics. We can put up with a lot more boredom/confusion if we know what to expect!

This. We get a ton of didactic stuff. I’d love to see where you turn for things and what sources you trust and rely on.

Haha welcome to the thread. Thanks for the tip! I still have the cbs thing because they also have inkmaster on there haha. I think I’m on season 8 of teen mom2. I don’t like the addition of the other mom from a different season. I keep skipping over her and Janelle lol.
My gosh Janelle is the worst

• Haha
Okay, lurking M3 back again: I’m currently on a team of very panicking residents - I was here with the old team last week, but a new team started this week and have been plagued by IT issues and complex patients and generally appear to be under a lot of stress. Doing my best to help with the things I can/otherwise stay out of the way, but I appreciate any tips y’all have for making their lives a little easier - even if it’s just cookies

Okay, lurking M3 back again: I’m currently on a team of very panicking residents - I was here with the old team last week, but a new team started this week and have been plagued by IT issues and complex patients and generally appear to be under a lot of stress. Doing my best to help with the things I can/otherwise stay out of the way, but I appreciate any tips y’all have for making their lives a little easier - even if it’s just cookies
Haha it’s not your job to worry about that! You’re there to learn. Just be aware of time constraints especially in the morning. I appreciated it when an Ms3 would look stuff up pertaining to questions that came up on rounds and shared what they found. If they let you, Updating hospital courses is nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Y’all I’m back on inpatient again. I don’t wanna wake up so early. Also I don’t wanna go back to doing bed side rounds. I had a couple table rounds rotations and I liked that more

Reactions: 4 users
Y’all I’m back on inpatient again. I don’t wanna wake up so early. Also I don’t wanna go back to doing bed side rounds. I had a couple table rounds rotations and I liked that more
Im really tired of getting up at 445 am 6 days a week. Two more weeks until my vacation...

And YES. Table rounds are the best.

• Wow
Im really tired of getting up at 445 am 6 days a week. Two more weeks until my vacation...

And YES. Table rounds are the best.
Yeah it’s like you don’t have to worry so much about having every stupid lab memorized or every thing printed or written out. And can actually focus on your plan.

Cookies. Edit: Homemade rice crispy treats.

I hate bedside rounds where the attending makes you do the whole presentation in front of the patient... needs to not be a thing

Reactions: 8 users
I hate bedside rounds where the attending makes you do the whole presentation in front of the patient... needs to not be a thing
Wow. You guys have it rough. We've been doing table round for old patients, bedside for new patients for some time now given increased volume.

Wow. You guys have it rough. We've been doing table round for old patients, bedside for new patients for some time now given increased volume.
Another reason i hate peds.

• Haha
I do need to figure out some efficient tricks. When I start a new service, I have been printing a progress note on each patient because when they have 15 problems it just hard to get that written out. But then I end up with progress notes, a list, and a handoff which is just too much.
what do you guys do?

I never print progress notes, actually

I do need to figure out some efficient tricks. When I start a new service, I have been printing a progress note on each patient because when they have 15 problems it just hard to get that written out. But then I end up with progress notes, a list, and a handoff which is just too much.
what do you guys do?

I do something very similar. I print a rounding report (labs, meds, vitals), a list, and the progress note if they are new or complex. I present from the progress note on rounds and write updates to the note on the rounding report. After rounds the note gets set aside but I hang on to the rounding report and list and add updates there throughout the day. I use a multicolor pen throughout the day so that I know what happened before, during, and after rounds.

For patients with few problems, I just write their stuff on the rounding report without printing the note.

H
I do something very similar. I print a rounding report (labs, meds, vitals), a list, and the progress note if they are new or complex. I present from the progress note on rounds and write updates to the note on the rounding report. After rounds the note gets set aside but I hang on to the rounding report and list and add updates there throughout the day. I use a multicolor pen throughout the day so that I know what happened before, during, and after rounds.

For patients with few problems, I just write their stuff on the rounding report without printing the note.
Haha I’m glad I’m not the only one! I like to be prepared for the nit-picky attendings.

I am not nearly organized enough for something like that. It stresses me out just reading about it.

• Love
  • Haha
Gave my attending a patient presentation last week... my first one in about 8 months... he looked at me with a stoic reaction knowing i was a 4th year, and declared... this guy is going into anesthesia

To add salt on the wound, i said HELL YEA I AM! and the residents were like WHOA HOW'D YOU GUESS THAT? we thought for sure he was rads.... :grumpy: u know what... NBD i aint even mad

• Haha
Gave my attending a patient presentation last week... my first one in about 8 months... he looked at me with a stoic reaction knowing i was a 4th year, and declared... this guy is going into anesthesia

To add salt on the wound, i said HELL YEA I AM! and the residents were like WHOA HOW'D YOU GUESS THAT? we thought for sure he was rads.... :grumpy: u know what... NBD i aint even mad
Lol were you putting them to sleep.

• Haha
I am not nearly organized enough for something like that. It stresses me out just reading about it.
It sounds organized but really I don't have time to write all that stuff down and the rounding report makes it so easy to just circle the important things!

Ugh eating like crap. Not exercising. For everyday that I feel like I know what I’m doing I have 3 more where I feel like I don’t know anything.
Who can relate...

Ugh eating like crap. Not exercising. For everyday that I feel like I know what I’m doing I have 3 more where I feel like I don’t know anything.
Who can relate...
Definitely can

Ugh I guess I can fix the eating and exercise situation tomorrow before diabetes sets in. But the medicine part I’m not sure about lol.
NRMP sending me reminders I haven't certified my list and getting me to sign up for SOAP info session is not helping...

Who can relate...
I’m on nights right now and this is me.

Also these are specifically things I told myself I would NOT do during nights again but here we are.

Last edited:

Also these are specifically things I told myself I would NOT do during nights again but here we are.
Lol maybe we can start a fitness motivation pact. I had been doing well in 2020. Things have gone downhill in 2021.

Nights are absolutely the hardest time for that. I eat to pass the time but too tired to move around

Also, i just finished the hardest rotation of intern year so far and i hated it so much. So glad to be done.

• Care
This. We get a ton of didactic stuff. I’d love to see where you turn for things and what sources you trust and rely on.
I don't think I've gotten a single good lecture the entire year. we have maybe one a week and those are usually just student run. I just use uptodate in the clinic and my flashcards to learn everything else.

I didn't think it was that big of an issue but maybe it is....

• Wow
Anyone else excited to not be an intern anymore? I'll still have heavy call until PGY3 but it feels like a step. And I'm really excited to meet the new intern class. And see where some of my friends in 2021 matched. It just feels like an exciting time of year and a time of change even though we have a few more months.

I cannot wait to not be an intern anymore.

I just dont feel ready to be a senior either.

• Care
Kinda going to miss being an intern. The expectations are so low.

• Wow
Kinda going to miss being an intern. The expectations are so low.
If you think back to the beginning of intern year, you probably thought the expectations were ridiculous and you'd never meet them. Now here you are. The same will happen in future PGY years.

My program filled, now we wait

Passed step 3 y’all. Happy St. Patrick’s day!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I don't think I've gotten a single good lecture the entire year.

Teaching Attending here:

My colleague introduced a mini-lecture curriculum for inpatient medicine with a few core topics, 15 mins each. I teach some of them. Additionally, I have 10-15 min mini lectures for heart failure, COPD, inpatient DM. I also teach some skills like ABG interpretation/ acid-base, EKG reading and basic ventilation. I need to be supremely motivated to be able to do these, and it usually happens only when the team can be on top of our patients.