Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Co-Author when Mom is first author?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by youngmo, Aug 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youngmo

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys my mom is a Radiation Oncologist and she has recently given me the opportunity to work with her and be a co-author on her paper. How will Med schools view this if she's the first author? Is it even worth doing?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. caffeinemia

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is it a paper on nepotism in medicine? I enjoy irony.

4. phuynh94

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Not sure if adcoms would notice, but if you're going to have your name on any research pub, you better have a thorough understanding of what happened. If your interviewer somehow does know, s/he might grill you on the the research even more just to make sure you didn't get your name on there due to connections.

Easonred57, Stagg737 and gyngyn like this.
  5. Syns

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
  6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    See if she has a colleague you can work with instead.

7. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    There was a good thread about this a couple weeks ago mimelim had some really good insights about this.

Yes I agree with @Law2Doc you are probably better off without your mom on the same paper as you as possible. But research is research and the family connection(be it brother-brother or father-son or mother-son) isn't all that uncommon and ADCOMs as mimelim said will still assume you and the PI of relevance and your mom followed the guideline for authorship on a paper. If your mom is going to be on the paper you are on, it is what it is and if you still felt like this was a productive experience for you where you gained alot from yes put it on your resume.

Yes the interview for something like this will be very important. You probably will get some more questions than usual about it to see if you just piggybacked off your parent.

avgn likes this.
  8. doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

the term is nepotism.

Spector1 and Goro like this.
  9. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    And boom, it is how the world works. Those who think they're above it just do themselves a strong disservice. If OP works hard at the research, there is nothing wrong with it. If he does not, it is no more useless than getting a courtesy pub for crunching data.

Something about sour grapes also comes to mind with the kind of responses that this thread is gonna get. I'll spare everyone, though.

10. Doug Underhill

5+ Year Member

http://www.icmje.org/recommendations/browse/roles-and-responsibilities/defining-the-role-of-authors-and-contributors.html

The International Committee of Medical Journal Editors has a stated policy on authorship. They feel there are 4 required criteria for authorship:
    • Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND
    • Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND
    • Final approval of the version to be published; AND
    • Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
    They feel that all 4 criteria have to be met for anyone designated an author, and that those who do not meet all four criteria should be in the acknowledgments section rather than as an author. Do you meet all of these criteria?

11. Doudline

5+ Year Member

What a nice moral compass.

strictlyanon likes this.
  12. mimelim

mimelim Vascular Surgery
    Rocket Scientist Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is the key. Nepotism, networking, etc. is a part of the world. Using connections, even if they are family is perfectly fine. But, realize that you will be under a higher level of scrutiny. If you don't know your stuff when asked about it, it will leave a very bad taste in people's mouth and can absolutely kill an application.

13. youngmo

Pre-Medical
    Haven't started working yet but ill make sure to work my hardest and take it serious. Thanks for the list

14. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Mind telling me what's wrong with my moral compass given that I advocate people take advantage of the connections they have while putting forward their best foot with full faith and hard work? Hm? Or are the grapes real sour right here

Among people who work hard, there are those who make good use of connections/nepotism/whatever evil term you have for it, and then there are people don't do so, who think they're above that and have a higher "moral compass." One group is smart, and the other group could be much smarter. Then there are people who don't work hard, for whom this does not apply. This is how things work, don't be naive.

Temporary Superman likes this.
  15. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Because when it's apparent as this, it blows up in the applicant's face.

I'm a firm believer in nepotism, and I've pulled strings to help people get interviews. But an Adcom member seeing mom's name on the paper and the kids will think "charity" authorship due to filial bod, and then discount it.

BIz916 likes this.
  16. WingedOx

WingedOx Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
    Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Back in undergrad my dad called contacts at a top 10 med school which got me an interview for a paid lab research position.

...it's not like this is any different.

17. Luckyman

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There's a difference between networking and nepotism: one you work for and the other you simply receive. Avgn, I think Doudline is questioning how you blindly advocate for nepotism. I too would disagree with your statement that "there is nothing wrong with it." Consider the effects on a community when only those in power remain in power. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it further.

In the end, I don't disagree that the high road is more difficult. That's why it's called the high road. Given those sacrifices, I would still urge the OP to find research opportunities earned by his/her hard work....but that's just me.

strictlyanon and Caffein3 like this.
  18. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Would it actually be that obvious? Especially if the mom kept her maiden name (increasingly common that I've seen?)
    Even if the last names were the same, is that the first thing people would think? I assume it would be much less obvious for ethnic names, especially Asian names lol. All the Kims, Lees, Chandras

19. Doudline

5+ Year Member

I'm not being naive, you are being ignorant.

From what I understand, you are saying that, if an evil is very influential and widespread, there is no purpose to trying to resist it and that we should, instead, embrace it.

Considering how many occurrences of radical changes -in the face of overwhelming power- we witnessed in recent history, your ideas jump to anyone's face as utterly deluded and apologetic (though it's a good excuse to let go of personal integrity, I must admit. Poor you, the system is so strong!).

strictlyanon likes this.
  20. WingedOx

Attending Physician
    ...and if you do this, OP, luckyman is going to call up your mom and take the publication.

avgn likes this.
  21. Luckyman

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I mean...I'm not against submitting my resume.

22. Stagg737

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Assuming OP is competent and will be working hard in the lab, then it shouldn't matter. This happens literally every day in the business world where a job position opens up and they fill it from within the company. The only difference is that in the business the company still has to put out ads that there's a position open when they've actually already filled it, which is just a waste of everyone's time and energy.

As for the effects on the community of 'those in power staying in power', this is a ridiculous example. The only way this has any impact like I imagine you're suggesting is if OP is not competent enough to work in this position. At a lot of institutions it's pretty easy to walk up to a professor and ask if you can help do research, and if you ask enough people you'll find a position, whether you're competent for it or not. Besides, if OP's mom cares about her research and reputation at all she wouldn't have offered him/her the position in the first place if he/she wasn't competent. This is not a case of "taking the high road", it's a case of will OP be taken seriously. I'd echo previous statements that as long as OP can show (s)he understands the research in an interview, that shouldn't be an issue.

youngmo and avgn like this.
  23. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Scary words! Because all evils are made the same? Like, taking opportunities from relatives with a chance to work hard at them (I can't emphasize this enough) is the same as LGBT discrimination, right? haha ok man

24. Luckyman

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I haven't been able to walk up to any professor and receive a co-authorship on a paper. I better power-up my game!

Stagg, I'm not saying it doesn't happen everyday. I'm saying that there ARE problems with nepotism. It has nothing to do whether the OP is competent. It has everything to do with someone more competent not receiving the opportunity. That's why we have affirmative action and riots in Ferguson. I know I'm a wacko non-trad but am I crazy about this? Please, PM me if you think that's the case.

But, I'm sure the OP would be fine in the application process. I only responded because I couldn't stand idly by at what I consider an injustice to those reading this forum.

25. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    No. Please do not flame this thread into another abomination..

Goro likes this.
  26. Luckyman

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm sorry I brought up a sore subject. #pokemonlivesmatter

strictlyanon likes this.
  27. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Mario dies wayyyyyyyyyyy more than Pokemon though

WingedOx likes this.
  28. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If the names are different, then one wouldn't know.

We do get hints with clinicians LORs..."I've know avgn since s/he was little.."

EDIT: actually, it would be easier than I thought. Applicants have to write down their parents names on the app forms!

avgn likes this.
  29. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Oh snap you're right. But it would still be rather serendipitous for people to see the authorship and then go back to check the family info, especially if it's a common last name or different ones altogether

30. mw18

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If my mom were a physician/researcher/whatever and I was in OP's shoes, I think I would be interested in taking her up on the offer just for the insight on how one goes about conducting a study and authoring a paper. Seeing the planning, the organization, the actual science, and the methodology that takes place would seem to be very valuable. I wouldn't hang my hat on it app-wise, but it seems like a good chance to learn a lot. As far as being credited as an author, I would have to have the knowledge and understanding to actually contribute before I would feel okay with it. But that experience seems like it could be worthwhile.

Edit: I absolutely agree that a colleague (while likely still nepotism) is a very good compromise.

31. Stagg737

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    True, the co-authorship thing is big, but as Goro has stated, it would be pretty easy to find out whether OP really deserved co-authorship or if it's exaggerated. My point was more that it's relatively easy to find research. If I were OP and didn't put in the work to be a co-author, I would ask my mom to just make me second or third author to so I could be more legitimately credited.

As for nepotism, there are absolutely problems with it. I'm originally from a state that's notorious for cronyism in our gov and several high level officials are either in jail or in court for their involvement in that practice. However, in the case of research I think you may be mixing up competency with qualification. For a large percentage of lab work, one could easily train a decent high school student to be competent in a few weeks, and I'd even argue that an undergrad student could be just as competent as a PhD student in many areas. Heck, the last lab I worked in the PhD students asked me to section their samples for them because sections were that much better. However, that doesn't mean the qualifications for getting that position are anywhere close to equal. On top of that, those who are highly qualified (like PhD students) aren't likely to do this kind of work for free. In this case, the PI (mom) gets free labor, and in exchange OP gets a pub out of it, the same as in any other situation not involving nepotism.

Affirmative action is a whole other topic, but my brief 2 cents. I think it's somewhat useless in many cases. Most places only require that you interview or consider diverse individuals, but there are no laws about actually accepting them (in the business world at least). So if an employer is racist/only wants a certain 'type' of person at their company, they can just interview someone that fits the diversity requirement that is mediocre, then hire whoever they want and say the applicant wasn't qualified. It's pretty tough to prove someone wasn't hired because of their race at most jobs where significant qualifications are required, so imo affirmative action is more for show in most cases than for actual benefit. I'd much rather set up a system where each applicant is completely anonymous up until the interview/hiring as it would be the only way to ensure racial bias is removed. You'd also end up with the most qualified individuals that way. Obviously that's not very realistic, but just what I would prefer in general.

32. Luckyman

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Stagg, I'm not trying to argue. I just wanted to point out that there ARE problems with nepotism. Thanks for agreeing.

33. Doudline

5+ Year Member

Hard work? What has hard work got to do with this?

Stealing is OK if you make good use of whatever you stole through "hard work"?
    Bribery is OK if you make good use of the money through "hard work"?
    Nepotism is OK if you make good use of the opportunity through "hard work"?

How does that make sense?

(Notwithstanding the fact that "hard work" is far from granted.)

#32 Doudline, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  34. youngmo

Pre-Medical
    Really great post

35. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Couple quick things

1) It's apparent ADCOMs here have different opinions on this. Mimelim in his posts from what I can gather doesn't seem to have that big an issue with this if the OP really learns alot from it and can speak well about it. Goro has straight up said he thinks this will be discounted by ADCOMs. There's no cut and dry answer here. I might take a guess here and say the ADCOMs who grew up in families with physicians and who had experiences similar to this would have less issue with it than those who don't come from great backgrounds and never were exposed to medicine in their family. Perhaps those who didn't grow up in the greatest backgrounds or any exposure to medicine might be particularly sensitive to something like this and classify the OP as someone who took advantage of the "Silver platter treatment" which is not something you want an ADCOM thinking about you(these are all just theories and guesses on potential ways some ADCOMs might perhaps look at this situation). OP should know this risk going in.

2) While ADCOMs may or may not make this assumption(I obviously can't say if they do) I don't think its correct to just assume all parents will pull strings to get their kids on papers. When you get to that high of a level as a physician and researcher many might not be simply willing to just compromise research ethics and ethics about granting authorship just because it's their child, particularly if it is clear to them their child has no buisness being on a paper. It could actually be possible parents would hold their kids to a very high standard and be harder on them than a typical PI. This happened to someone I know in a similar situation to the OP: his dad who was a PI would simply not put his name on a paper till he thought it was merited(and it took 3 years and lots of data---more than a number of undergrads who get on papers produce). So like I said while an ADCOM might see this and automatically blurt out "nepotism" that isn't necessairly always the reality.

3) I think everybody can agree that the interview in this situation is very important. You will be held to a high standard and if you don't do a great job showing you know what you are talking about that will just kill you.

4) From what it sounds like the OP, hasn't even started this research project. If that's the case, it's a no brainer; work with one of your moms colleagues. This is all a complete non issue in that case.

5) This can still be a good experience for the OP because your own parent will have more of a vested interest in you in many cases than a PI. This doesn't necessairly mean looking out for you only; like I said above some can be very hard on you and grill you consistently in ways that other PIs just simply don't have the time or interest in doing. You don't have to worry as much about asking them a million questions and there is a solid chance there'll be more leeway and second chances if you screw up then with another PI. You can learn alot from your parents perspective and all the time they'll put into you and tell you things far more directly than another PI might.

WedgeDawg and avgn like this.
  36. the29thlight

the29thlight ad augusta per angusta
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

If your parents got you the job, it's nepotism. Whether OP works hard or lazes through is immaterial. There are plenty of research options out there. If you can't find one on your own, then you should take it as evidence that a parent giving you one is a problem.

Some responses mention that nepotism is "the way the world works". I think what they mean to say is "connections make the world work". Of course, you should use all the contacts that you've cultivated yourself. Your work ethic in classes, the lab, or the workplace will speak volumes about you, and you might be surprised by how helpful mentors are once you've proven yourself. Leverage those relationships responsibly because you've earned them.

But you don't earn your parents' contacts at birth. And you should blush if that's what gets you a position.

OP, if you PM me I can show you some resources to find meaningful research on your own.

37. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Lol as if he asked for your help
    Get off your high horse

#36 avgn, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  38. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    But but but if mommy gave a pub it would be bad for society!! How will low SES individuals ever climb the ladder when mommy is teaching her son how to do research

39. the29thlight

Posting a thread like this is asking for help, right?
    High horse or not, the community gets to say what right looks like. It just seemed like the more outspoken responders were the ones who had no problem with it. I have a problem with it and thought to chime in.
    It's clear you disagree. That's OK. SDN would be pretty bland if it were just a collection of echoes. But the OP can decide based on more opinions than yours.

40. Lancer

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If she has just recently give you the opportunity to work with her, you probably shouldn't be a co-author on her paper. That by itself sounds like nepotism. To be a co-author, you should have already contributed substantially to the research going on in the lab and provided your own data

Additionally, since you haven't started in the lab yet, I would encourage you to work with a colleague, not her.

Stagg737 likes this.
  41. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    He didn't ask for help finding a research position

42. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    "she has recently given me the opportunity to work with her and be a co-author on her paper"

He has the opportunity to work with her and then become a co-author (underlying assumption being that if he actually contributes)

43. the29thlight

I'm sorry for disagreeing so completely, but I think that's exactly the point. He's posting because he thought the offer might appear a little fishy. He's right. And beyond just offering my opinion, I'm happy to help with a solution that keeps his conscience intact.

strictlyanon, Doudline and youngmo like this.
  44. Doug Underhill

5+ Year Member

Remember, elite schools don't just want someone who checked a box and got a publication. They want someone with research acumen and passion on the subject. The stakes will probably be higher if you have a pub: adcoms will expect you to be articulate what you did in detail during you interview.

Don't look at it as a blanket +5 Application Points that you can put on your Work/Activities section and forget everything about. Tell them about why your work is significant to human health. Tell them about the scientific objectives of it. Be prepared to talk about experimental design and follow-up studies.

Stagg737, youngmo and GrapesofRath like this.
  45. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Very good post. Too many applicants look at publications as +3 points for my application. It doesn't really work that way; your goal is to demonstrate research acumen and thorough understanding. Papers commonly do this but someone who lists a paper on their app and can't do a good job talking about it in their interview would have been much better off simply not listing it.

The burden of proof to show you have excellent research acumen and thorough understanding will probably be higher for you if you have your mom with the paper with you. But that doesn't mean it still can't be demonstrated; you just have to be ready for all kinds of questions for the interview. And if you do a good job convincing ADCOMs of your prowess, it's really not that much different than another one who had his name on a paper with a "traditional non familial" PI.

Now will a paper with your parents name on it mean as much as one without them pre-interview stage? The answers on here seem to suggest no but like I said above there is alot of value to be gained from working with a parent and being resourceful even though some have expressed their discontent and feeling of nepotism about it.

youngmo likes this.
  46. youngmo

Pre-Medical
    Thanks everyone

47. Stagg737

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Absolutely! I just tend to have less of a problem with it when a person is highly qualified for the work (which OP may or may not be, idk).

I agree with the bolded, and I think that's the biggest problem that most adcoms will have here. To be a co-author as a pre-med suggests that it is your research and that the physician/PI coauthor is just supervising. I don't see a problem with working with family, but I'd suggest asking to be 2nd or 3rd author instead of co-author, as that will be more credible in this situation.

No matter what you do, whether it's research with a family member or a random stranger, you need to be able to talk about the research at a level that shows at least a basic understanding of the underlying principles and purpose of the research. If you can't do that, the research and any subsequent pubs won't count for anything if you're asked about it.

48. Petrichor1

Medical Student
    I'm firmly disappointed by nepotism because it usually implies privilege that people often make into as if they deserve things rather than being thankful for them. However in this situation, how is it any different if a kid has a family that own a practice and that kid goes and joins it after completing residency or schooling? I've seen people pull strings because their parents know someone or whatever and I always hear them pounding the title on their chest. I think in this situation OP should just not have consulted sdn because it is a sensitive topic but take away this that you will definitely be scrutinized for it.

49. strictlyanon

2+ Year Member

To add to everything that's already been said, I think the very process of searching for a lab and a mentor (and working for said lab and mentor) without any previous contacts is a valuable experience that OP would be missing out on.

50. WingedOx

Attending Physician
    Hard to have passion for your research if you can't get your foot in the door though...

51. Petrichor1

Medical Student
    oh to add to this I just read a research internship application that said recommendations from relatives is unacceptable. There you have it child.

strictlyanon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.