Co-op interfering with extracirriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobadoz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Recently, I committed to a co-op at a Johnson & Johnson company this summer, fall, and next summer. I'm a biomedical engineering student, so it was a requirement for graduation, but it was also just a really good opportunity. I'll be moving states in the fall, so, unfortunately, I will be unable to continue volunteering at the free clinic I help out at every week. This is my only clinical experience really, and I've been doing it for about a year now for around 170ish hours. I will be continuing in the spring, but how will schools recognize these sudden gaps in my ECs? Also, looking for some remote clinical opportunities that could help me gain more clinical experience, so lmk if you have any ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

170 hours is good. You can split the volunteering into two time periods and add the second period. Anyone looking over the work/activities section will see the co-op "out of the area" and put two and two together. We aren't stupid.

Reactions: 1 users
170 hours is good. You can split the volunteering into two time periods and add the second period. Anyone looking over the work/activities section will see the co-op "out of the area" and put two and two together. We aren't stupid.
Thanks for the reply LizzyM. I didn't mean to imply that I thought faculty were stupid. I just know that you guys like sustained involvement, and I wasn't sure how common co-ops were.

Sorry to have come across this way. We do like sustatained involvement but have yet to find an applicant who is capable of bilocation (being in two places at the same time) so we understand that some activities are curtailed by the physical impossibility to traveling to a site while living elsewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user