Co surgeon coding question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonperson

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since it's a long weekend, I haven't gotten a chance to run this by my institutions coders but wanted to get some input. I know it's gyn related but the situation should apply for other specialties.

My partner has a patient who wants a hysterectomy for bleeding and also has prolapse/incontinence that she wants repaired at the same time that I would perform as the primary.

For the hysterectomy, he would be surgeon/performing a majority of the case and I would be his assist.
For the prolapse repair/incontinence repair, I would be surgeon/performing the majority of the case and he would be the assist.

Am I supposed to use the 80 modifier as the assist in the hysterectomy portion and the 62 modifier for the prolapse/incontinence repair?

Am I getting compensated at a reduced rate for my portion of the procedure then?

Members don't see this ad.

Use -80 for assisting for the hysterectomy. And use -59 for the prolapse repair.

-62 doesn't apply in your case

Reactions: 1 users