Co surgeon coding question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anonperson

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since it's a long weekend, I haven't gotten a chance to run this by my institutions coders but wanted to get some input. I know it's gyn related but the situation should apply for other specialties.

My partner has a patient who wants a hysterectomy for bleeding and also has prolapse/incontinence that she wants repaired at the same time that I would perform as the primary.

For the hysterectomy, he would be surgeon/performing a majority of the case and I would be his assist.
For the prolapse repair/incontinence repair, I would be surgeon/performing the majority of the case and he would be the assist.

Am I supposed to use the 80 modifier as the assist in the hysterectomy portion and the 62 modifier for the prolapse/incontinence repair?

Am I getting compensated at a reduced rate for my portion of the procedure then?