MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey friends! How's the house hunting going for all of you? My partner and I signed a lease to our top unit/complex just ~8 minutes from the hospital and I'm really excited! Reserved a Uhaul for the first week of june and things are looking good!

I hope everyone else's onboarding and house hunting is going smooth. I weirdly miss this thread. It's been a whole month since Match Day, crazy
House showing happened on a Saturday. 3 offers by the end of the day. Had to pay 20k above asking. Not ideal :/

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
House showing happened on a Saturday. 3 offers by the end of the day. Had to pay 20k above asking. Not ideal :/

Similar thing, ended up paying 10K above asking. Things have really heated up in the last month - I was looking lazily at a few areas before match and many houses on zillow were there 3+ months, but since March it seems like every reasonable home has been snapped up in <2 weeks.

Similar thing, ended up paying 10K above asking. Things have really heated up in the last month - I was looking lazily at a few areas before match and many houses on zillow were there 3+ months, but since March it seems like every reasonable home has been snapped up in <2 weeks.
Our agent said the current average was 3-5 days, and this is not in a hot location

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My fiance and I were thinking about buying and quickly said eff this. Renting is much more manageable.

Just got my tentative schedule today! Luckily I have honeymoon planning to distract myself...

Reactions: 7 users
Got a rental for the first year a few days ago, things going pretty quick these days.

I'm out here doing critical care onboarding and training at 2x speed with a beer in my hand...

Got a rental for the first year a few days ago, things going pretty quick these days.

I'm out here doing critical care onboarding and training at 2x speed with a beer in my hand...
May I know the city of the rental? I just want to gauge the housing. Thanks.

May I know the city? I just want to gauge the housing. Thanks.

May I know the city of the rental? I just want to gauge the housing. Thanks.

Major northeast city. Though I don't know much about the buying market admittedly

I can’t believe it’s been a month since the match. It feels like years. Mainly because my rotations won’t end!

Reactions: 6 users
Same. I am anxiously waiting for my appraisal to come back...hopefully I did not stupidly pay 20K above the asking price.

Reactions: 1 user

I wish I could put this massive VA packet on 2x speed. This VA process is brutal

Members don't see this ad :)
We listed our house here on Friday.......36 hours later we accepted an offer 11,700 above asking and 33K above what we paid for it 3 years ago. They also waived an inspection of any sort...which is nice considering our house is 103 years old. The buyer asked for our washer and dryer which we agreed to because they're a PITA to move.
While this was happening, we were house hunting in SC. Very hot market. Homes were being sold well above asking for cash within hours of listing. We were outbid several times, especially on homes close to the hospital. On our flight home last night we found out our last offer was accepted....we went 25K over asking. And we also opted for no inspection, but it was built last year and is still under warranty. It is absolutely stunning with tons of upgrades, huge kitchen, and a nice fenced-in backyard on a pond and no carpets....which is nice since we have 4 cats and a dog. And it has a garage, so I finally have a place to hoist the hard top off my Jeep.

Reactions: 11 users
We listed our house here on Friday.......36 hours later we accepted an offer 11,700 above asking and 33K above what we paid for it 3 years ago. They also waived an inspection of any sort...which is nice considering our house is 103 years old. The buyer asked for our washer and dryer which we agreed to because they're a PITA to move.
While this was happening, we were house hunting in SC. Very hot market. Homes were being sold well above asking for cash within hours of listing. We were outbid several times, especially on homes close to the hospital. On our flight home last night we found out our last offer was accepted....we went 25K over asking. And we also opted for no inspection, but it was built last year and is still under warranty. It is absolutely stunning with tons of upgrades, huge kitchen, and a nice fenced-in backyard on a pond and no carpets....which is nice since we have 4 cats and a dog. And it has a garage, so I finally have a place to hoist the hard top off my Jeep.
Is this close to your work? I struggled a lot trying to balance between nice newer house cheap but a bit further from work (20 mins+) vs older house more expensive but closer to work (15 mins).
Did you even get time to go look at houses with the market where houses are gone within hours to 2-3 days listed?
I paid 20K above listed price with inspection (old house) but opted out on minor repair.

The real estate market here in SC is absolutely nuts. I think I know where you've landed. If I'm right, we lived there from 2011 to 2014. Bought a house for 230k, did absolutely nothing to it, sold it for 270k. Also got our golden retriever when we lived there, super dog friendly.

22 minute drive to the main hospital. 4 miles to the beach. Very close to one of our other training sites and probably 35 minutes from the other training site. Closer would have been nice but this is better than trying to make an offer on a house we haven't seen in person. I do think I might eventually get a vehicle with better mileage but gas is 80-90 cents cheaper per gallon in SC than it is in PA right now so it's not as pressing a matter.

Reactions: 4 users
Our 3rd offer on a place was accepted! Went 30k over asking with no contingencies (major remodel in 2007, and there were 5 other offers within 5 days of listing) but hopefully we won't lose our shirt. It's a good idea to ask about whether they're willing to leave appliances like washer/dryer. 30 minute public transit commute to the hospital, faster drive or biking if I can work up the will/stamina.

Our 3rd offer on a place was accepted! Went 30k over asking with no contingencies (major remodel in 2007, and there were 5 other offers within 5 days of listing) but hopefully we won't lose our shirt. It's a good idea to ask about whether they're willing to leave appliances like washer/dryer. 30 minute public transit commute to the hospital, faster drive or biking if I can work up the will/stamina.
Yeah we were able to get the washer/dryer thrown in on the house we're buying.....a very new/nice upgrade from the ones we're leaving behind.

I've read there's a backorder on washers and dryers nationally and it can take 2 or more weeks to get them delivered when buying new.

• Wow
Yeah we were able to get the washer/dryer thrown in on the house we're buying.....a very new/nice upgrade from the ones we're leaving behind.
I read the fine print on the contract and we're getting the washer/dryer! It's the little things sometimes...

I haven't posted to this thread since match day. I couldn't stomach seeing everyone match to their #1. I matched my bottom rank and although I was devastated 4 weeks ago, I am now realizing how amazing my program is and I really am happy with the outcome.

For those that will come after us: DO NOT RANK ANY PROGRAM THAT YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO GO TO. This was important advice that I (thankfully) followed. Don't ever think that falling to the last spot on your list might not happen to you. Instead, make the last spot on your list a program that you'd still have at least some reasons to get excited about.

And for the record, I'm a US grad with above average scores and no red flags. Applied to a "easy/backup" specialty that 99% of folks match their top 3. I had >10 ranks.

Anyway, I never got to say congrats to all you fine people on achieving such great things. I really am happy to have had such great people to anonymously learn from over these last 4 years. Cheers!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
I haven't posted to this thread since match day. I couldn't stomach seeing everyone match to their #1. I matched my bottom rank and although I was devastated 4 weeks ago, I am now realizing how amazing my program is and I really am happy with the outcome.

For those that will come after us: DO NOT RANK ANY PROGRAM THAT YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO GO TO. This was important advice that I (thankfully) followed. Don't ever think that falling to the last spot on your list might not happen to you. Instead, make the last spot on your list a program that you'd still have at least some reasons to get excited about.

And for the record, I'm a US grad with above average scores and no red flags. Applied to a "easy/backup" specialty that 99% of folks match their top 3. I had >10 ranks.

Anyway, I never got to say congrats to all you fine people on achieving such great things. I really am happy to have had such great people to anonymously learn from over these last 4 years. Cheers!
Happy to see the change of heart, and best of luck come July. I can't say I loved residency, but I definitely look back with fond memories.

I would urge caution about the capitalized advice though. I'm sure its not a common event, but I'm sure there are people that didn't rank somewhere they interviewed and ended up unmatched.

There was 1 program I interviewed at that I really wasn't impressed by, but my thinking at the time (and still to this day) is better there than risking being unmatched/scrambling.

Reactions: 5 users

We also finally got a house for 35k over asking, an appraisal gap up to 30k and we outbid 27 offers in 48 hours. We chose to do the inspection but also said we will not ask them to make major changes. We are 15-20 minutes away from both of our major hospitals and an easy highway commute. This housing market is absolutely nuts. We thankfully sold our med school house for 20k over what we bought it for so we could play this ridiculous appraisal gap game.

• Wow
We also finally got a house for 35k over asking, an appraisal gap up to 30k and we outbid 27 offers in 48 hours. We chose to do the inspection but also said we will not ask them to make major changes. We are 15-20 minutes away from both of our major hospitals and an easy highway commute. This housing market is absolutely nuts. We thankfully sold our med school house for 20k over what we bought it for so we could play this ridiculous appraisal gap game.
I probably over paid as much. The thing is I have been reading on real estate and apparently, California people are doing 50-200K over listed price 🤦‍♀️

• Wow
We finally got a house on our third offer. Got outbid by cash on the first two.

This house had a cash offer, but the seller wanted it to go to a family. Paid 20k over asking and feel like we got a deal. Houses were showing for 1 day here.

• Love
We finally got a house on our third offer. Got outbid by cash on the first two.

This house had a cash offer, but the seller wanted it to go to a family. Paid 20k over asking and feel like we got a deal. Houses were showing for 1 day here.
Congrats! Where is the location? And what field did you match into?

Any DOs have any general plans for level 3? Or better yet. studying with anki for intern year?

Any DOs have any general plans for level 3? Or better yet. studying with anki for intern year?
I know I’ve gotta get in gear and study something. Just had an hour long didactic of cardiology pathophysiology where we all got wrecked on fundamental Step 1 info.

I’ve gotta dust off these cobwebs.

Friends, it's your duty and time honored tradition to get as dumb as possible before starting intern year.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
I’m doing comquest only because I got a good discount for it (under 200 bucks). My plan is to get exactly 351 on the exam and uworld is too expensive for me
I’m gonna try not to use Anki. Whatever free time I have in intern year, I wanna use it on sleep or jumping on research projects. I think we should be able to pass without Anki!

After using Anki religiously for the past 4 years of medical school I think I'm going to have to let it go. I won't have the time for it during residency. It's been a great ride little buddy. :cryi:

I'm just going to stick to questions + reading. For Level 3 I've been told that just going through COMQUEST should be enough to pass.

My house appraisal came back 15K below offer price 😢

• Care
My house appraisal came back 15K below offer price
Oh dear, and this would be why we're not even doing an appraisal (we're committed anyway). But hey, the current owners are throwing in their "custom kitchen island" as a gift so I'm sure that offsets whatever we may have (over-)paid. :lol:

• Haha
Oh dear, and this would be why we're not even doing an appraisal (we're committed anyway). But hey, the current owners are throwing in their "custom kitchen island" as a gift so I'm sure that offsets whatever we may have (over-)paid. :lol:
Your mortgage brokers aren't doing an appraisal? I thought that was a standard part of their general risk assessment, to make sure they aren't writing you a loan you'll never be able to pay back.

Your mortgage brokers aren't doing an appraisal? I thought that was a standard part of their general risk assessment, to make sure they aren't writing you a loan you'll never be able to pay back.
You're absolutely right. In our case we ended up going with a non-mortgage loan to cover the difference (my spouse was concerned given the current low interest rates that we couldn't get a fixed rate mortgage and that the rate would skyrocket in subsequent years). It won't help build our credit as much, but we're able to do some debt consolidation. Obviously people need to do whatever their lenders require.

Reactions: 2 users
My house appraisal came back 15K below offer price 😢
Yeah it'll probably happen to us as well. Luckily we outright own our current home and just got offered 33K over what we paid....so we can cover the difference just on the profit we made. The remainder we'll probably use as a downpayment to get a lower monthly mortgage payment on the new house and try to keep 6 months of intern salary for emergency funds.

After using Anki religiously for the past 4 years of medical school I think I'm going to have to let it go. I won't have the time for it during residency. It's been a great ride little buddy. :cryi:

I'm just going to stick to questions + reading. For Level 3 I've been told that just going through COMQUEST should be enough to pass.
That’s all I’ve ever done

watching Scrubs again a month before starting IM residency is a whole different experience lol.... it’s really increasing my nerves (I previously was just excited).

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
watching Scrubs again a month before starting IM residency is a whole different experience lol.... it’s really increasing my nerves (I previously was just excited).
Oh gosh, i did have like 10 new shows to check out on my list but now you’ve reminded me I need to rewatch scrubs for the 20th time

Not sure if I’d be afraid or excited to have a mentor like Dr. Cox. But i can definitely say I’ll be hoping for a todd in the intern class at my hospital

• Love
Hi! So I’ll be moving about 2,500 miles for residency and do not have any family or friends nearby the area.
I am currently looking for places to rent, but the problem is the rental companies require that I view the property before I can fill out an application. They won’t FaceTime the property to me. They want me there in person or someone I know who can FaceTime with me the property.
Anyone have any suggestions??? I really don’t want to be flying with my baby.

Hi! So I’ll be moving about 2,500 miles for residency and do not have any family or friends nearby the area.
I am currently looking for places to rent, but the problem is the rental companies require that I view the property before I can fill out an application. They won’t FaceTime the property to me. They want me there in person or someone I know who can FaceTime with me the property.
There are 2 sites that might help your search, Rentler and Realtor.com were useful to my family last year

That is
That is weird. Are you renting sfh or apartment? I rent apartment before without seeing it (this is not my first across country move rodeo unfortunately) and just bought a house without seeing it as well. Maybe try different company?

You could hire an escort on craigs list to pretend to be your cousin and ask them to face time for you.

• Haha
Try other properties (not all apartment complexes have the same rules) or find a real estate agent to help you.

Got the appraisal back on the house we made an offer on. Was $47,000 BELOW what we offered. Kinda pissed at the appraiser as he only pulled comps from the same subdivision from last year (completely different market at that time). I understand he also only pulled comps on houses he's personally appraised himself. The house is less than 1 year old. We're asking our realtor to pull comps as we hope to challenge the appraisal. We've also drafted a letter to the sellers to ask about renegotiating if we can't get a new appraisal done. 47K is a lotta cheddar, yo! Like more than what my after tax/FICA pay will be for intern year.

Icing on the cake is we also got a call from the real estate attorney regarding closing logistics. Apparently we can't close with Docusign, so they have to FedEx paperwork to us to sign....but we'll be on the road on the dates it needs signing. FedEx is also having issues overnighting papers lately so there's a possibility we may arrive but not able to move in for a couple of days....which would suck. I suppose we could stay at a motel...but we have a dog and 4 cats coming along with us. So that'll be an issue unless we kennel them.

Never a dull moment, eh?

Last edited:
  • Care
Got the appraisal back on the house we made an offer on. Was $47,000 BELOW what we offered. Kinda pissed at the appraiser as he only pulled comps from the same subdivision from last year (completely different market at that time). I understand he also only pulled comps on houses he's personally appraised himself. The house is less than 1 year old. We're asking our realtor to pull comps as we hope to challenge the appraisal. We've also drafted a letter to the sellers to ask about renegotiating if we can't get a new appraisal done. 47K is a lotta cheddar, yo! Like more than what my after tax/FICA pay will be for intern year.

Icing on the lake is we also got a call from the real estate attorney regarding closing logistics. Apparently we can't close with Docusign, so they have to FedEx paperwork to us to sign....but we'll be on the road on the dates it needs signing. FedEx is also having issues overnighting papers lately so there's a possibility we may arrive but not able to move in for a couple of days....which would suck. I suppose we could stay at a motel...but we have a dog and 4 cats coming along with us. So that'll be an issue unless we kennel them.

Never a dull moment, eh?
Bummer! We were able to do our closing with DocuSign

Icing on the cake is we also got a call from the real estate attorney regarding closing logistics. Apparently we can't close with Docusign, so they have to FedEx paperwork to us to sign....but we'll be on the road on the dates it needs signing. FedEx is also having issues overnighting papers lately so there's a possibility we may arrive but not able to move in for a couple of days....which would suck. I suppose we could stay at a motel...but we have a dog and 4 cats coming along with us. So that'll be an issue unless we kennel them.

Never a dull moment, eh?
I'd be real careful in your negotiations with the sellers. If the appraisal gets redone and comes back higher that's one thing, but if not then you don't really have any negotiating power. If you don't wanna budge much on that difference, the sellers know that they can throw it back on the market and likely get cash for what they're asking.

We lost out on one offer because the people who won it put a contingency that they would pay FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS in cash above any appraisal value. We lost another because the winning bid was in all cash, meaning no appraisal period.

When we finally won our appraisal also came in pretty dang below the contract price, albeit not quite as low as yours. We had to fork over 50% of the difference and tbh we were lucky that the sellers agreed to that much. The house next door ended up under contract the next week - for all cash and 20k above what we had negotiated.

It's a sellers market unfortunately so proceed with caution.

• Wow
I'd be real careful in your negotiations with the sellers. If the appraisal gets redone and comes back higher that's one thing, but if not then you don't really have any negotiating power. If you don't wanna budge much on that difference, the sellers know that they can throw it back on the market and likely get cash for what they're asking.

We lost out on one offer because the people who won it put a contingency that they would pay FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS in cash above any appraisal value. We lost another because the winning bid was in all cash, meaning no appraisal period.

When we finally won our appraisal also came in pretty dang below the contract price, albeit not quite as low as yours. We had to fork over 50% of the difference and tbh we were lucky that the sellers agreed to that much. The house next door ended up under contract the next week - for all cash and 20k above what we had negotiated.

It's a sellers market unfortunately so proceed with caution.
We're already in contract. The appraisal got done 3 weeks after they accepted our offer. The sellers can't back out, legally speaking, without leaving themselves open to litigation. Now we can back out any time we like, but we'd have to forfeit our earnest money/deposit.
We have absolutely nothing to lose by asking them to renegotiate...they can say "no way, José" or they can open a dialogue and be reasonable.
We also discussed this with our lender and real estate agent and have formally disputed the appraisal and are asking for them to include more recent/favorable comps in the appraisal.
Of course if we back out the sellers can put it back on the market, but in all likelihood, they've put an offer on a house they're in contract on which is contingent upon closing on their current home. Everybody wins if they are reasonable and see that comparable homes aren't appraising anywhere near what they thought their home was worth.